Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Once on the subject, could somebody please clarrify:

I have quite a bit of equipment and everything is wired with balanced cables.

Now, would it make sense to use balanced cables as outputs from my Yamaha Tyros? Why is it that we always use regular line TS cables for instruments?

There is no benefit to using balanced cables with your Tyros, mainly because the only connection is the tip and sleeve. The ring of the TRS connector plugged into the Tyros does not make contect with anything.

And why do keyboards come with two (L & R) outputs? Why not just one TRS (Left, Right and Shield)? It seems to work for the headphone output!

I believe the reasoning behind this is for connection to a full stereo system, such as a pair or powered speakers that are not connected through a mixer. This is how my Barbettas are set up, and a single TRS output would require splitters and adapter plugs.

Also, are the 1/4 inch inputs and outputs on a standard mixer or interface TRS capable? Or just TS?

With all the mixers I've owned, which is a half-dozen, none have been TRS capable.

I'm just trying to make the most secure connections possible, and it seems balanced is the best way to do this. I'm just not sure if balanced will work with all machines.

The best instrument and speaker connections are made using heavy-gauge, stranded, coaxile cable. Heavier wires provide better conduction because they have lower impedience, and this is particularly beneficial when using low-voltage systems, which applies to the vast majority of the equipment we now work with.

Please clarrify!! Thank you
Chony

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 03-15-2005).]

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)