What keeps rattling in my head is a statement UD made a few years ago. Not a direct quote, but he said he uses 8-12 styles to cover his entire playlist. On the surface this sounds genius in that it simplifies the entire performance and you don't have fiddle-bit finding styles. However, when I try to do this, the song I play sounds vaguely familiar to the original due to the orchestration. Granted for simple sings with simple progressions, standard styles are fantastic, but I have trouble with those very specific songs like "Mony, Mony" or "Sweet Home Alabama", etc....

Donny, the problem I have with SMF's is that there is no leeway to the song. If you want to comp or go the bridge one more time because the crowd is grooving or the dance floor is filled, the SMF is difficult to control under live conditions. Aren't you stuck to the format of the SMF?

Fran...is the answer to create a specific style for each song you play? This brings up many more issues like; how do you store them and categorize them for quick and easy retrieval (non-specific to any one keyboard or brand) during a live performance?

Dreamer...yes I could record myself on midi-drums and create the style for each song, like the way midi-hits or other style houses do it. But then I face the problem of having styles that are TOO specific which means they would be hard to find and apply to other songs.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps