I like the melodist and soloist features myself. I think Boo is spot on about the usefullness of BIAB's soloist function, and I also agree that Jammer's soloist ( the melody player in Jammer speak ) isn't nearly as good.

I like messing with both the soloist and melodist, and as Rikki mentioned, allowing the melodist to come up with chord progressions that I may not have been thinking of, along with the soloist performing leads that I also may not have thought of myself.

What I liked about Jammer 4 was the ability to quickly mix and match individual drum instrument patterns and the ability to go against the grain if I wanted. For example, for several bars I might try using an offbeat jazz bass drum pattern with a half time snare, add a small percentage of ghost snare hits, along with tight 8 note alternating closed and pedal hi hats. Or I might try syncopated bass hits with medium offbeat open and closed hats, and a straight 2 and 4 snare with some added ghost notes. It made experimentation quick and easy. Sometimes the results might sound like hodgepodge, while other times Jammer would come up with some cool fusion type beats. The ease of doing this pretty much disappeared in version 5.

AJ