Ed,

The SM-58 was difficult at best to work with using the keyboard's onboard vocal processor. Though DNJ loves his, I sold mine because of the problems I encountered. The best handhelp mic I've encountered in two decades is the Samson Q7, which really does a fantastic job. No feedback at all, even when standing directly in front of the Bose PAS tower. Excellent frequency response, outstanding clarity, and IMO the tonal qualities are far superior to the SM-58.

I currently use a headset mic, the Crown CM-311A, mainly for the freedom it offers and the outstanding vocal qualities it provides. If I were still using a handheld mic, the Q7 would be right at the top of the list, followed by the Sennheiser E855, Shure Beta-57 and bringing up the rear would be the SM-58. I'm sure this will raise some hackles, but the performers that have switched to the Q7 will likely echo my statements.

One other aspect of the problems you are experiencing may be your mic settings. The onboard settings have been posted several times on the forum by DNJ and myself. If you cannot find the post, let me know and I'll repost them.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)