I'm always amazed at the number of performers who cannot, or will not, take the time to analyze their audiences. This, obviously should be done before playing that first note or hittin the start button, but there are times when that analysis just comes out wrong. Last night's job was a classic example.

This one was for a yacht club's installation of officers. During the cocktail hour they wanted background music, which is quite boring, but easy to play. Just light, styles, a little piano playing, maybe throw in a sax solo or a flute, but nothing glaring. So far, so good.

Then came the dinner, which they also wanted background music. Dinner lasted just over an hour, which made the night seem endless. After that there was the installation of officers, which ate up another 45 minutes. During this time I sat at the bar and drank ice water with a twist of lemon.

Finally, after all the regalia, it was time for the dance segment, which gave me just one hour remaining at the job. Keep in mind that these were folks with lots of money, most dressed in a tux or suit, the ladies wore gowns and the gal at the cash bar was gettin' rich on the tip jar. Tried a couple upbeat 50s songs for the crowd of 65 to 75 year-olds, but no one budged. Saw a little foot tapping, but no one headed for the miniscule dance floor. At this point I figured I had switch gears until I found the magic song that would fill the dance floor. Who would have ever figured it that this was a country music crowd--not me, that's for sure. Did that first Jim Reeves number and the floor immediately filled to capacity. Kept it up for the next hour, then graciously bowed out with Show Me The Way To Go Home, which again filled the floor.

The bottom line here is there are no hard, fast rules when it comes to reading a crowd. The golden rule, at least when it comes to performing, is to play what the customer wants to hear--not what you want to play. If anyone has any tips as to figuring out what an audience wants, especially on a job where you don't know any of the folks that hired you, I would sure like to see them posted.

Almost forgot. When the treasurer handed me the check at the end of the night, he said "We're opening a new marina across the creek in April, and we sure would like to have you as a regular for our Friday evening get togethers--you're the best performer we've had in years. Ironically, on the check's memo line it said "DJ Services." Ya just never know!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)