1-I started my first band in grammar school, four flutaphones, three humazoos and me on drums and humazoo. We played at the graduation, the song was Begin the Beguine. We changed tempos from Latin the 4/4 upbeat, the flutaphones took the Latin part and the humazoos had the 4/4 upbeat part.
2-My first guitar was bought at age 15. We were three singers, one harmonica player and myself on guitar. Since I did not play that well I would turn the guitar over and use the back to play a drumbeat.
3-I was 23 when I played my first pro job. Bass, sax, drums, piano and me on guitar. There was no need to turn the guitar over any longer because I knew a lot of chords. The job was at a German Ratskeller (spelling?) As we walk out with our instruments I can still remember the manager saying, “This is the worst band I have ever heard”. Ouch!
4-In my later 20’s and early 30’s we played in restaurants and clubs. Lead singer playing bass, drums, accordion and me on guitar.
5-In my later 30’s I took the place of the lead singer and played as a trio.
6-The accordion player was then replaced with a young inexperienced organ player, he used a portable Hammond B3 organ. The sound of the band was full, on occasions we added a sax.
7-Everything went straight up from this point, more jobs, better pay and we started to earn a solid reputation.
8-Played through the catering circuit in Manhattan and long Island in New York. Played for the Mayer of New York, Terrace I the park, the World’s fair restaurant, and the Playboy Club – we were even fortunate enough to play on TV for three different occasions. (Cerebral Palsy) We were hot and playing in the best places. The best job I ever played was at a hotel in New York. I booked the job by phone. Everyone in the party we were playing for was black. I knew their love for music and I was hoping we could satisfy them. A great sax player, my young now experienced Hammond B3 organist, a wild drummer and me on lead vocal and guitar. We played – they showed their appreciation – then we played even better. Humbly I have to say we tore the place apart.
9-In 1984 I moved to Florida which 20 years behind the times. A guitar players were hired as the 6th or 7th musician. I purchased my first Yamaha keyboard, a Psr55 if I remember correctly, I was on my way to be coming a one-man-band.
10-The keyboard history goes from that first keyboard to the Kn7000 to the Tyros 3. At first I connected my guitar to the keyboard using a Midi Wire. I was able to play my guitar and have the chords triggered on the keyboard. As I improved I began to leave the guitar home. The rest is history, weddings, anniversaries, private parties and condos – ending with Nursing Homes.

Thanks for allowing me to share it brought back a lot of beautiful memories.

Thank you Bebop, John C.