Originally Posted By: ptram
Hi Ian & the Others,

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
there are some who feel the problem still exists for that one sound, DNC Real Violin. If the sound is held for more than approximately 4 seconds, there is a slight break in the tone/sample that shouldn't be there.

This break is the bow direction change. As soon as the end of the bow is reached, directions is changed, and there is a short dip in volume. This is how bowing happens in a real violin (hence the name of the sound).

Paolo
(Korg Italy)

Thank you for your excellent explanation, Paolo, and it is good to hear that the break is meant to be there, but to be fair, very few knew the reason.

I'm not sure if I'd want that in a sample (neither did Leigh), but I suppose there are other DNC violin sounds that do not have that break?

The reason for not wanting it, would be that on a real violin, the speed of the stroke, or how fast the bow was being drawn over the string, would therefore affect the direction change.

Is the timing (length) of the stroke change the same all the time, i.e. "fixed", or, can you assign it to (or vary it by) velocity or some other controller, like the joystick/footswitch etc.?

Also, can you use aftertouch to change bow direction?

Grazie,

Ian