Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Originally Posted By: brickboo
DonM,

" ..... Twinkle Little Star ....."

A Number 1 hit for "The Elegants" in 1958 ... High school friends of mine from Staten Island NY ... grin
Their one and only hit because they pi$$ed off Alan Freed, the king of RnR DJs and big 'payola' guy ...

When I was a kid in Brooklyn ....Vito Piccone sang this song to me in my car outside our school.....thought it was great then before it became a big hit........now his mother is in a NH I perform at and always requests this song...
I performed playing KB with so many Top Doo Wop groups on stage & Cruse lines in many shows thru the years, I actually met my lovely wife on a Doo Wop tour when I was with the
"Mystics" ( "Hushabye" #1 1959 ) in the early 80's..mostly nowadays aren't close to what they wee or even have any originals left to perform.....but they mostly now merge together to create a group and make a living off the Big Hits the former members made years ago...
Little Anthony & The Imperials are one of the few left who sound great and are original..Doo Wop is more about the singing and harmonies then the simple music derived from the street corners growing up in the city streets..

Edited by Dnj (07/14/12 11:58 AM)