Originally Posted By: Mark79100
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Phil Wood's solo in Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are"

Ian,

I forgot all about that one. It should have been included in my list of Top 10's.

I wrote out a transcript of the sax solo. You can have it if you want it (and I can find it).

Mark

Yep, Phil's solo really elevated an already great tune to where it's often considered a "new" standard.

I have the Yamaha Electone Course Step 8 (last book in the course) that has the whole tune written out for organ (with left hand and bass pedals) and I used to teach the tune.

It has the sax part transcribed pretty accurately, especially the intro and outro of the solo and it's in the original key of "D".

I play the tune quite often and have even made a style for it on my Tyros4...I generally try to get the intro and outro of the solo as close as possible, and I sort of improvise the middle part fairly close to Phil's version, although some sax licks are still a challenge on keys.

In any case, the tune has some sweet chords in it...the second chord in the verse, Bm6th, is one some players play as straight Bm and it just doesn't sound right...there are some On-Bass chords that are also essential for a truly accurate rendition...Billy hit one out of the park with this tune, for sure.

Unfortunately I don't have a printer/scanner, but I may get one in the near future from a client. If I do, I'll post the transcription here.

Ian