EQ: Yes, basically, what you need is contact cleaner. You'll need to pull off the rear plates, spray the contacts, and work the knobs at the same time. A regular maintenance schedule is a good idea, and, if you're not going to use the guitar for a long time, remove the strings, they're cheap to replace. You might want to take your strat in to a tech to have her refurbished. If it's a strat, particularly a US strat(sweet)..then you want to take good care of it. If she's a Mexican, Taiwanese, or Japanese knock off, then it probably not worth it to have it professionally refurbished. I've been playing for over 35 years. I currently own a Tele,Ibanez, Danelectro,Les Paul, and Ovation acoustic. and apart from re-stringing, and general maint./cleaning and polishing, I take them in annually for a thorough going over. It's and investment, and they're worth it.
Good luck with your audition. Hope all goes well for ya. Leon

Nobby was correct DO NOT use WD40. It's a terrific lubricant, and yes it gets rid of most grease & grime, but it's not a contact cleaner.
[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 08-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 08-01-2003).]