SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#102599 - 12/21/99 08:10 AM PSR540-740 Split keyboard sustain function?
brixton_twinkie Offline

Loc: Worcester MA.
Does anyone know if the PSR540-740 allows
you to turn off the sustain pedal on just
the bass voice if you are configured for
split keyboard? I have been evaluating
the PSR540 and have not been able to do this.
The manual makes no mention on this. I was
wondering if the PSR640-740 allowed for this
feature as well?

#102600 - 12/21/99 08:41 AM Re: PSR540-740 Split keyboard sustain function?
brixton_twinkie Offline

Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I was
looking at these PSR's is to combine my keyboards into one for live performance. But without the sustain feature it looks like
I'll have to seek another vendor. Did Yamaha
say this feature was not in the whole PSR
line, including the PSR9000? What a disappointment!
Rick L>

#102601 - 12/21/99 10:37 PM Re: PSR540-740 Split keyboard sustain function?
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Dear Uncle Dave.
I don't mean anything personal, but why do you hate the 740 so much? You keep on mentioning that it's not proffesional.

P.S. This bothers me because it's the only good keyboard that I can afford :-) (I'm thinking of buying it)

------------------
Jick

[This message has been edited by Jick Duck (edited 12-21-1999).]

#102602 - 12/23/99 12:39 AM Re: PSR540-740 Split keyboard sustain function?
Rodrigues Offline

Loc: Portugal
According to owner’s manual, pag. 35, 55, 102 and 103, PSR 9000 has two Sustain features working in a different way. One is the Sustain button on panel, that add a small sustain, like a system effect, to all notes played on keyboard.
Other Sustain feature is that works using the foot pedals, that are programable individualy for each part we pretend affect.
So, with 9000 we can play Left voices without Sustain and other parts with Sustain and vice versa.

PSR 8000 (about Sustain), works only with foot pedals (it seems there is no sustain button on panel) and also it’s completely programable as 9000.

PSR 740, 730, 630, 620 are not top keyboards and so, Sustain foot pedal is not programable and affects all the notes played with R1, or R2, or Left voices. It’s always like a system effect and not a insert effect.

Regards
Carlos Rodrigues

#102603 - 12/23/99 04:25 AM Re: PSR540-740 Split keyboard sustain function?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jick, If you played a "professional" keyboard you would understand where Uncle Dave is coming from. It does not mean ,you would not enjoy the keyboard, it just does not measure up to the features and abilities we are use to for live performance....Fran

#102604 - 12/29/99 05:02 AM Re: PSR540-740 Split keyboard sustain function?
brixton_twinkie Offline

Uncle Dave,
I'm new to synthzone and don't know how to obtain your email address. Could you provide additional info on the G7. I started looking into this keyboard on the internet. I best price I got so far is $1600.00. Do you know if this keyboard supports the split function
with sustain just on the right side (no bass sustain). Do you own one of these?

Thanks
Rick L> labak@brixton.com

#102605 - 12/29/99 08:53 PM Re: PSR540-740 Split keyboard sustain function?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Dave,
Two years ago, right after the namm show in Los Angeles, the farfisa rep came to my store in a motor home with an Italian Rep from Farfisa in Italy and invited me into the trailer to try and listen to the Farfisa portable keyboard. Besides the fact that they all smoked like crazy and I couldn't wait to get out in the fresh air, I asked them to play three sounds for me. A piano, a sax, and a solo violin (these are my standard sounds which I judge keyboards by). All three sounds disapointed me and when I asked he price and I was told about $2500.00 retail, I just thanked them for coming and excused myself from their motorhome. I was not impressed at all. To me, the keyboard looked like a $500.00 keyboard. I think this is the same model you are talking about today. However, I respect your opinion and would like to know what you think of these sounds. Honestly, I never made it to listen to their styles, because none of the sounds impressed me. I know Farfisa as an organ company in the past, but organs are not generaly what my customers care about first. This is not the first time over many months I've heard you rave about this keyboard. The name Farfisa never comes up here in California. Nobody carrys this keyboard and nobody asks for them. I just thought I'd ask you if this is the same keyboard I played two years ago. It was just coming out in Feb. 1998.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online