SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105959 - 05/28/03 02:33 AM Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Hi!
Are the dance styles on the tyros better than those on the PA80 and also how do the Vocal harmonies of the 2 boards compare?
Thx

#105960 - 05/28/03 10:00 AM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
Shakil Offline

The difference between dance sounds of TYROS and PA80 is day and night. PA80 is WAY more advanced and dance oriented than TYROS. a couple of old dance kits. PA80 has many more dance and techno sounds and drums than TYROS.

Getting the styles over to PA80 is not a problem, you just convert from TRYOS to PA80 format.

The vocal harmonizer is better on TYROS. No question about that.

#105961 - 05/28/03 03:30 PM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I wish I understood what "dance" music is. I play hundres of dates where people ask for "dance" music, when the floor is already filled with dancers .... and I'm not just talking older folks either.
From the sound of the styles on my PA80, I can only guess that it's a heavier, disco influenced fast beat with alot of boom, boom, boom in the bottom end.
Who decides what to dance to or not?
...things that make me go hmmmmmmmmm......?

#105962 - 05/28/03 06:22 PM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Dave, dance music might be for the folks who don’t quite know what music is.

Grandpa Doug

#105963 - 05/28/03 06:44 PM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Now Now boys,
Remember when your Mums and Dads told you the music you loved and tried to emulate was incomprhensible in comparison with the 'real' tunes of 'their day'?

It must be a 'generation' thing

Tony

#105964 - 05/28/03 10:10 PM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
All generations dance, don't they? This isn't a gap deal ... it's a serious question about why certain beats are referred to as "dance" when they clearly don'y have a lock on the genre. I'm sure GenXers think dance music is something we "old folks" don't get ... the old folks invented the dance long before electricity was invented, so I fail to see how it can possibly be related to a techno-anything.

I play dance music every day, and I hardly ever use the pattern on my keyboard that is called "dance". Whodathunkitt ?

#105965 - 05/29/03 04:11 AM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
Arbaz Offline

I think sunster was referring to synth type sounds which are more used in newer type of dance music, I think Shakil is right Tyros is the great sounding board but it wont be up to par when comparing with Korg’s synth sounds, and as I have mentioned before in PA-80 you can use up to 4 OSC to create a program (even the triton offers 2 in program mode) that is a powerful sound engine when used as a solo board along with the band, Yamaha tends to have better natural sounds e.g. Grand Piano, Guitars, Flute and so on. it is just my personal opinion.

#105966 - 05/29/03 06:46 AM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Doug,

Thank you very much for that comment!!! I'm sitting here in my classroom reading thru the BBS while my third set of 8th graders are watching an "Anne Frank" documentary. I burst out laughing and am still giggling inside. GREAT!!

Grandpa Cass

#105967 - 05/29/03 06:55 AM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
UD,
When people are talking about "dance" music today they're most often talking about the style of music you'll find on a Yamaha DJX, and DJXII... Most often club music. Heavy bass, complicated drum beats (most impossible to record in real time), fast running leads using a lot of arps, and several other things.. You'll find that most of it's loop based, which isn't bad at all.. Writing dance music can be really tricky. Especially if you're doing it from scratch.. When I was in college I did a lot of hip hop, and rap demos for students. Even that music is quite hard to write... People often say it's just simple loops that repeat over and over, but that's not the case. If you're making these loops from scratch a great deal of work goes into it.. Especially if you want it to sound up to date..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#105968 - 05/29/03 07:18 AM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm not too old to dance, but I'm too old for "dance". . . . and so are my customers. As far as I'm concerned they can leave out the "dance" styles and put in some more styles I might actually use! Korg has it right--let us completely replace any style we want to replace.
DonM

#105969 - 05/29/03 08:47 AM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I think that's why a lot of people who own synths are also buying arrangers too... (although some won't admit they have them)... The majority of today's synths are being designed with dance, rap, hip, and club music in mind. Look at the Triton Classic, and even the Triton Le. Their acoustic sounds aren't that great, but they have a killer sound set for dance, techno, hip hop, rap, and so on. The arrangers cater to all groups. With our arrangers we get styles in every category although some are completely off, there are many styles that are really good... Yamaha had it right when they brought out the original DJX.... The made an arranger for the dance market with up to date styles and sounds. However they blew it when they released the second edition.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#105970 - 05/29/03 07:19 PM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi UD,
I see where you are coming from and in part I agree BUT (how d'ja know that was coming? ) ... if someone says to me play some dance I more often than not think of house, techno, garage et al.

However if someone says play some dance band I think of Glen Miller and that ilk. It is all a question of semantics and perception and like it or not that is a generational thing. Every generation hijacks certain terms, phrases, words etc and attaches their own connotations to them. Whilst the word 'wicked' to me is negative and means a bad thing the same word to my 14 year old nephew is positive and means something is beyond brilliant!

I don't even think it is a case of the 'GenXers' claiming they invented 'dance' per se. More a case of claiming a word to describe a style of music that they identify with and to.

Lord alone knows I don't understand, like or play techno, house, garage etc. Then again I would have been mortified if my parents had found any merit in Soft Cell, Blondie, Eurythmics and other bands of my youth.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online