SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#108440 - 02/14/04 08:49 AM Re: Does learning the piano make a better arranger player?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
If Beethoven only had an arranger, a Tyros of course.

Scott

#108441 - 02/14/04 09:00 AM Re: Does learning the piano make a better arranger player?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I played piano for 24 years, (plus accordion, brass and reeds), then turned in my union card and got serious about my businesses. I then played organ for the next 15 years. I then got the first keyboard and have been playing them since.
I can still play the organ sortof but on the piano I now sound like a third year average student, and it kills my wrists to play the piano now.
Bebop

#108442 - 02/14/04 09:15 AM Re: Does learning the piano make a better arranger player?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
If Beethoven only had a Tyros

He wouldn't be able to scrunch up his fingers to play the orchestrations !
He might have had to write the
Moonlight Sonatina !
.... hee hee.....

#108443 - 02/14/04 10:42 AM Re: Does learning the piano make a better arranger player?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Uncle Dave, I suppose because Beethoven became deaf, at least "he" wouldn't have minded that it was a 'mute' keyboard. - Scott

#108444 - 02/14/04 09:43 PM Re: Does learning the piano make a better arranger player?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
hee hee... good one !

#108445 - 02/14/04 10:25 PM Re: Does learning the piano make a better arranger player?
KN_Fan Offline

I think having a good musical base/knowledge really separates who you are as a musician.

An arranger should be an instrument only to 'enhance' or accompany your performance.

I know a guy who is 'okay' as far as playing the music, but he is REALLY good with utilizing my Triton Studio's arpegiator and other features. I actually prefer to see somebody who is already good with performing only a piano (or a Rhodes) a small drum and a bass. Just my opinion

P.S I tried playing Violin before. My first and only piece was "twinkle twinkle little star"

#108446 - 02/15/04 01:57 AM Re: Does learning the piano make a better arranger player?
dazart Offline

Loc: England
Im going to carry on with progressing the piano and going through the abrsm piano grades.
Im currently doing a grade 5 and my teacher tells me if I pass this grade in piano that would be equivalent to a grade 8 in the arranger keyboard which is the top grade.
My teacher also said playing a arranger would be very easy after going through the grades on a piano and now I think he is wight.
Part of passing the grades there is the theory side also and it is here where Im finding Im making advances in my music towards composing melodys,improvisation and cadences.
I would suspect most of you have already got this experience from childhood and forgot more than I have learned.
But I think your never to old to just learning the basics.

Thanks for your replys.
Regards,
Daz.

#108447 - 02/15/04 05:23 AM Re: Does learning the piano make a better arranger player?
trtjazz Offline

To me the continuing learning process of anything in music makes us better players.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#108448 - 02/15/04 07:13 AM Re: Does learning the piano make a better arranger player?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I started on the accordion adn moved to the organ. Only later did I learn how to make sounds on the piano (I don't play like a real pianist, but I have an acceptable style) and then become proficient on arranger. Even all of these keyboards have differnt pros and cons. The one thing I appreciated learning on the accordion is the left hand - circle of fifths going up and fourths going down, thirds immediately in front. The organ helped my chording tremendously. The piano, which I truly love, helped me spread out my hands and work on bass and chords. The arranger has helped me return to the right hand, where I almost forgot how to solo.

I agree that most piano players I've met have a hard time playing anything else, as the style must change with the instrument. A lot of pianist I know READ too much. I read OK, but wish I read better; I've always been a rememberer and a player from the heart not the paper.

#108449 - 02/15/04 07:28 AM Re: Does learning the piano make a better arranger player?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When you stop learning, and this holds true with all facets of life, that's when the little old ladies are looking down in your coffin and saying "Don't he look peaceful--just like he's sleeping." Old men don't do this because they're always the first ones in the coffin.

The learning process is never ending, especially with keyboards. I've owned my 2000 since they first hit the street, and through some folks think I know every aspect of this wonderful machine, I'm continuously discovering new and amazing features. I agree with Donny--the synth is so much more than any other instrument and requires a great deal of not only musical/entertainment talents, but engineering skills as well. It's a brand-new world out there for single entertainers to explore.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online