SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#108785 - 03/22/05 01:42 AM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
You're certainly right Gary - delivery to your target audience is all - but if you can do it live rather than pre-recorded just think how much better you feel at the end of the evening...
I'd rather do that than think I got a repeat booking cos I knew how to play someone else's midis or sequenced files - it's a matter of personal pride I guess.
Anyway Gary your work is marvellous so you've got no problems...
Best wishes - Rog

#108786 - 03/22/05 03:44 AM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Rog
I know you are a staunch oponant of midifiles,and agree with you to a point.The wife and I have just returned from a cruise where they had a singer,drummer,and a cute girl sitting behind a Tyros smiling at the audience shuffling disks.I could tell she was not playing at all.I couldn't stand the sham. On the other hand,I use sequences often as a way to get more bang for the buck. I am still playing as hard as ever,but with more parts.

Bernie

#108787 - 03/22/05 04:42 AM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
So Rog, what's worse, adding some keyboard work to a midi file or playing a three-finger chord that sounds like a full orchestra. I love my arranger; it gives me a lot of versatility, but a good midi file is more like the original song. Granted, when playing solo, a midi file can really sound like overkill. But, a midi file can always be edited so that only the parts you want are played.

#108788 - 03/22/05 06:18 AM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
How is what the girl is doing any different from many kareoke performer? Yet, sitting behind the keyboard tends to create a total illusion to the passersby.

If her entire act is made up of floppys and basically loading files...she's bought herself an awefully expensive kareoke machine, hasn't she?

This case may be the extreme...Performers who use MIDI files to enhance their arrangements but not rely on them 100% don't deserve to be lumped in with the situation Rog described.

I play in full keyboard mode over styles. If I play the wrong fully constructed chord, then its apparent to everyone. I surely can't hit a "start" button and sit back and relax.

All of this said...what does it say that a girl like this gets a nice gig on a cruise ship? Perhaps she is the manager or organiser of the trio, who knows? Maybe she owns the PA, lol...

Do I like it? No...

Do I consider it as good (a subjestive term, I know)as someone who actually plays the instrument? No...

Do I still have to give her credit however for working at the level she is? Yes...

Bill in Dayton

#108789 - 03/22/05 07:01 AM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Am I missing something here?
Do you think the general uninformed public thinks that using a sequence means that you DON'T play?
In a live band ... you only get to play YOUR part. With a sequence .... you still get to play YOUR part. At least - that's the approach I take. If I use a sequenced backing - I am the piano player. Remember that guy? Playing piano over a band or a sequence is the same technique .... only the band usually screws up the timing and some of the notes. Give me a perfect sequence over a mediocre band ANYday.

AMEN, UD! I have successfully made the transition, and use my PSR3000 with my "live" 5 piece band, using midi files.

Uncle Dave is right. I AM still playing the piano parts, and have found a drummer who, because of his vocal strength, can spice up the existing drum track, and plays along live with the track. (No different than having two drummers ala Doobie Brothers). Very rare to find a drummer who puts the overall sound of the band before any personal ego. I also remove any bass, and all solos (I use a live sax player!), leaving rhythmic guitars and orchestra-type parts in for full effect. A lot of work manipulating the midis, but the end result is well worth the effort, believe me!

The results:

1) The perfect (in my opinion) blend of midi and live performace, where things like cymbals and hi-hats are heard as a live element, and compliment to the drum tracks. We have four vocalists who can sing lead at any given time, and blend well harmonically.

2) In only three months of actually performing together, we have already secured twenty weddings this year alone, as well as many club and restaurant dates.

3) Start-up time is minimal when using midi files, and easier to learn material.

Now, don't get me wrong. We are also capable of playing songs 100% live when we need to, (i.e. special requests, etc.). But, that's the beauty of it all! It's never the same two nights in a row, and we still need to be sharp, and musically sound!

Just my opinion.....

Angelo

[This message has been edited by cam8neel (edited 03-22-2005).]

#108790 - 03/22/05 07:08 AM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya Cass
The question you ask is...
So Rog, what's worse, adding some keyboard work to a midi file or playing a three-finger chord that sounds like a full orchestra. I love my arranger; it gives me a lot of versatility, but a good midi file is more like the original song.
My reply is
What is better than either of your proposals is using a special rhythm/style file, playing live, that sounds exactly like the original song, and you're playing it - aah but where do you get them from I hear folk say....

#108791 - 03/22/05 08:06 AM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cam8neel:
[B] Just my opinion.....

Angelo

.... and your opinion counts, Ang ... ... can't wait to hear the group ....
t.

#108792 - 03/22/05 10:03 AM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Angelo;

My question to you is where does one find good quality midi files? I have heard numerous ones that sound like a cheap $100 keyboard from Walmart. While there are others which are very good, but cost money ( on average one midi file costs as much as a whole Cd). Do you find yourself taking the medicore midi files, and spending time on tweaking them? How do they sound on your psr-3000? Realistic?

Thanks;
BN

#108793 - 03/22/05 11:11 AM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by BlkNotes:

Dear Angelo;

My question to you is where does one find good quality midi files? I have heard numerous ones that sound like a cheap $100 keyboard from Walmart. While there are others which are very good, but cost money ( on average one midi file costs as much as a whole Cd). Do you find yourself taking the medicore midi files, and spending time on tweaking them? How do they sound on your psr-3000? Realistic?

Thanks;
BN

BN,

There are some good midi file sites out there, and the majority of the midi's on those particular sites can be used as is, or with minimal tweaking. They tend to run anywhere between $6-$9 each, depending on the work. In my opinion, some of these midi's are well worth it, because it must be very time consuming to conjure them up from scratch, especially the ones that sound "just like the record".

The ones you get on the net for free are mainly the ones you end up spending hours on tweaking, changing instrumentation, volume levels, etc. To be honest with you, those, you sweat for!

(BTW, midi files sound awesome on the PSR3000! Why do you think I use an arranger keyboard to play them? I get the best of both worlds this way!)

Angelo

#108794 - 03/22/05 11:32 PM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
What do bands really want from a keyboard player? apart from not getting in their way...

Hi Roger,

Depends on the needs of the specific band and on a given night (gig). The advantage of the arranger is flexibility. As an arranger player, you can act as one of the band's keyboard rhythm section players (keyboard comping) with live drummer & bass player = rhythm section core (bass, drums piano), add keyboard line (and or other instrument emulation) solos, or use the arranger's auto accomp (as needed) to fill in for missing live rhythm section players: bass, drums, horn sec, etc, or missing soloists (sax, vibes) etc.

As much I appreciate the arranger keyboard for it's one man performance convenience, ability to fill in parts for missing band members, and as a valuable tool for solo practice & playing improvement (especially for tightening up one's musical playing/timing (and to be come versed in playing a wide variety of styles) their is no substitute to the rewards/musical growth gained from playing with competant musicians.

ONE IMPORTANT thing I learned long ago ( and which I'll never forget) from elder experienced pro players & teachers) is to always strive to play with musicians who play BETTER than you. If you only play with musicians equal/less skilled than youself, you won't improve, but playing with better players, you'll be challenged to keep up with them, and gain a lot of music insight & knowledge along the way as well. Unfortunately the catch-22 of this is that higher skilled/experienced musicians may not be interested in playing with you. Thankfully, at least in my community, there remains older experienced musicians interested in passing their torch of wisdom to younger up and coming performers who show promise. I'm ever thankful to the those seasoned pro musicians who took the time & interest to take me under their wing when I first started out, inviting me sit in on their gigs, as well as having me appear as a guest performer. As musicians, we are truly a special community of artists willing to help one another out. This is especially apparent with many of the SZ members here as well. The SZ arranger forum is truly a special place to me.

Scott

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online