SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110068 - 05/27/03 02:10 PM About PSR-2100
David P Offline

Loc: Göteborg, Sweden
Hi all,

I have had the PSR-2100 now for almost a week and I am very pleased with it. I have posted some specifications on the PSR-2100 on the yamaha-psr-styles group at Yahoo, and I thought that there might be some people here who are also interessed in this. First the styles that are in PSR-2100 but not in PSR-2000 and then a list of the Live!, Sweet! and Cool! voices.

Pop&Rock:
- BubblegumPop
- JazzPop
Ballad:
- ClassicPianoBallad
- R&B Ballad
Swing&Jazz:
- DixieJazz
- MediumJazz
- TapDanceSwing
Dance:
- Ibiza2003
- RetroPop
- DreamDance
Ballroom:
- VienneseWaltz 2
- SchlagerBeat
- SchlagerPop
- SchlagerRock
- SchlagerAlp
- SchlagerRumba
Latin:
- Cumbia
March&Waltz:
- OrchMarch
- OrchWaltz
- MariachiWaltz
- PupPiano
- ChildrensMarch
- Santa'sSwing

Live!:
GrandPiano, Harpsichord, GrandHarpsi, Nylon Guitar, ClassicGtr, HyperBrass, PopBrass, OctaveBrass, Strings, Allergo, Orchestra, Gospel

Cool!:
E.Piano, Elec.Organ, JazzOrgan, Jazz Guitar, Elec.Gtr, Jazz SolGt

Sweet!:
Harmonica, Mandolin, Trumpet, Trombone, MutedTrump, FlugelHorn, TenorSax, AltoSax, SopranoSax, Clarinet, Flute, PanFlute, Oboe, Violin

There was also a question on the USB-connection and beside being a MIDI-connection, Yamaha includes a CD with a File Utility program that you run on your computer. You can see the contents of the various USER-directories (styles, multipads, songs etc) and transfer files to and from the keyboard. The communication is however very slow. About 1.5 - 2.5 kB per second. It is almost as quick to put several files on a floppy and play the styles from the diskdrive.

If you have any further questions I'd be happy to answer them the best as I can (I'm learning new things about this great keyboard every day).

With best regards,
/David

#110069 - 05/27/03 02:31 PM Re: About PSR-2100
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Lucky You David! We won't start seing PSR2100 in the USA until July. Where do you live? I've been told that they are available in Japan now but don't know where else they've been shipped to.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#110070 - 05/27/03 02:38 PM Re: About PSR-2100
David P Offline

I live in Sweden. My previous keyboard was a Roland E-56 so this is a huge improvement for me in all aspects. I'm not a performer, I just play for fun. /David

#110071 - 05/27/03 02:38 PM Re: About PSR-2100
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Can you compare it to the PSR2000?
What features/voices/styles etc. do you consider to be better/worse then the PSR2000.
Starkeeper

#110072 - 05/27/03 02:41 PM Re: About PSR-2100
David P Offline

Starkeeper, I'm sorry but I have only played the PSR-2000 on a few occations in the music store. I'm in no position to compare them. /David

#110073 - 05/27/03 02:53 PM Re: About PSR-2100
tracknet Offline

David, I have in your same situation: Having a Roland E, and thinking to go to 2100.

I would like you to compare 2100 piano voice with your Roland E-56 piano voice. Roland always had great pianos, usually richer and deeper than Yamaha (Yamahas pěano more brillant).

And how Roland styles converted for Yamaha play in your new 2100?

#110074 - 05/27/03 04:02 PM Re: About PSR-2100
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello.................I have a PSR2000 and cannot afford a PSR2100 right now. If someone would send me all the styles that are exclusive to the PSR2100 I can convert them to work on the PSR2000. I imagine the PSR21000 uses some of it's new voices in the new styles. I'm certain I could substitute acceptable PSR2000 panel or XG voices. I would share these with the whole group. Thanks --charley

#110075 - 05/27/03 07:16 PM Re: About PSR-2100
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi David

Can you tell from the manual if one can use a hard drive to store styles and actually play them from the hard drive or is that just to load the user styles etc?

A factory rep told me that the 2100 won't take an internal or external hard drive, but sometimes they don't always have all the answers and it seems like one should be able to hook up an external hard drive, I know I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it had that feature.

Best

Scott Langholff

#110076 - 05/27/03 09:41 PM Re: About PSR-2100
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi David
A factory rep told me that the 2100 won't take an internal or external hard drive, but sometimes they don't always have all the answers and it seems like one should be able to hook up an external hard drive, I know I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it had that feature.

Best
Scott Langholff

Scott, I am sorry to inform you that the PSR 2100 cannot and will not be able to use an external Hard Drive. It is basically a PSR 2000 with twice the Wav Rom supposedly, more User Memory space supposedly, with a USB "slow I might add" interface, with more Sweet!, Live!, and Cool! voices and 23 additional internal Styles. Beyond that I think their identical in every other way. Of course there might be some minute differences, but nothing major I would estimate. PS: For the PSR 2100 to be able to use an external Hard Drive device, it (the PSR 2100) would need to have a USB 2.0 Firewire or SCSI interface which it does NOT.

Sorry to burst your bubble Scott. I too was expecting much more from the PSR 2100 and was sadly dissapointed with the resultant outcome. The two or three redeeming factors of the PSR 2100 imo are the greater .Wav Rom samples per voice, the greater User Memory, plus I am sure it sounds as good if not slightly better than the PSR 2000 "because of the greater .Wav Rom samples per voice". We shall know more about how it sounds when someone can actually compare it with greater depth and accuracy to the PSR 2000, Tyros, 9000 Pro, etc. I am glad David is finding it to his liking and it is probably an excellent Keyboard but when it comes to comparing it to the PSR 2000 it's almost like comparing twin brothers or sisters. There is most likely not going to be much distinction between them in my opinion. Also it is hard to justify an upgrade to the PSR 2100 imo if you already own the PSR 2000. That is unless of course the newly sampled Live! Grand Piano on the PSR 2100 is out of this world and if the other internal Voices are leaps and bounds better than the PSR 2000 which I doubt very seriously.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 05-27-2003).]

#110077 - 05/27/03 10:35 PM Re: About PSR-2100
Beakybird Offline

Congratulations, David. Given that you are 8 hours away from us in Chicago, we should be getting the PSR2100 in 8 hours.

Dear Scott,

The reason why I purchased the HDM is that I was told by Yamaha that the PSR2100 would not have any additional file storage.

I'm going to be upgrading from the PSR2000 to the PSR2100 for the following reasons:

1. I want the improvements in sound albeit not really major.
2. The two PSR2000s I own have been played on quite a lot, and I would like to start with two new keyboards that are more roadworthy for all the gigging I do.
3. It's a tax write off anyway.

I look forward to toying around with the new voices and matching the new styles to an expanded repertoire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online