SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#118228 - 02/18/04 06:58 AM Re: Comp meals for musicians.....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
DNJ...this is interesting. I asked the owner, who opened the Merrick Inn over 30 years ago and a long-time bartender. Neither has heard of this guy. I noticed he lists a good number of local establishments. It could be that someone hired him to play a private party at one time.

Pretty crafty way to hussle, if you ask me. Evidently, if you search for Merrick Inn, you get his site. He really dosen't say anywhere that he actually works at the Merrick, only lists it as a loacation where he's performed. That's pretty sneaky, don't you think?

Russ

#118229 - 02/18/04 09:41 AM Re: Comp meals for musicians.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello! Great forums here - happy to have found you guys and gals!

> We want to have an informal policy for comp meals for musicians...
> What works where you folks play?

In my experience, the best scenario is to offer a free meal to each musician an hour before they are to start playing each night. There are several benefits to the restaurant owner which may not be immediately obvious.

First of all, it creates goodwill between you and the musician. Musicians are typically only thought of as an
amenity and given very little special treatment. It will set you apart from the rest of the pack. Something as
simple as designating a waitress/waiter to check on your musicians periodically though the night will go a LONG WAY in opening up that two-way street.

If they have brought a companion, they should expect to pay full price for their guests meal. Soft drinks on the
house, 1 drink with their meal, after that they should expect to pay full price for alcohol. Treated as equals, I
think that you'll find many of your musicians are EXCELLENT tippers if you have the right people. The right musicians
will also be promoting and generally creating a buzz and advertising for your restaurant.

Another thing you may want to consider is letting your musicians try a different dish each time. Your musicians are out talking with your crowd during breaks, and having sampled the food, will say stuff like..."Oh, I recommend the *insert dish* . I had it last week, and it was great!".

Some of your better horn players will probably not want to eat before they play. In that case, consider preparing their meal so they can take it home and re-heat it.

> I've heard of, but don't know Kevin Moreland. To my knowledge, he never performed at
the Merrick Inn
> ...at least not in the summer season the last 13 years. It's possible that he worked a night
of so
> in the winter, but I'd be supprised. I'll have to ask the owners if they ever heard of him....

Russ, I've worked a few private parties at Merrick and also as a sideman (which is why you didn't recognize my name) for Paul Osborne, Bob Bryant, John Knight, and Dave Hamon on the summer jobs. We had a little combo out by the pool. This was 5 years or so ago.

By the way, you can hear us at Emmett's on Friday March 26th with the trio (John will be
there, not sure about Bob yet). I'll also be on solo piano there TONIGHT from 6:30-9:30.

>DNJ...Judging by his website he sounds like he's a regular there

Nope, it is just on the list of places where I have worked before.

BTW, there are TONS of musicians here in the Lexington area to draw upon. Mainly I hang with the jazzers, but there are lots of other styles in there as well. Enjoy, Kev

http://www.themusicdifference.com/musician/

[This message has been edited by Kevin Moreland (edited 02-18-2004).]

#118230 - 02/18/04 10:00 AM Re: Comp meals for musicians.....
Dnj Offline

Kevin....
Thanx so much for stoppin' by the SZ and clearing up all the confusion. Sounds like you guys are having a ball playing in Lexington. If I'm ever in the area I'll certainly look you up.

Take Care....

Donny

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-18-2004).]

#118231 - 02/18/04 10:36 AM Re: Comp meals for musicians.....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Kevin...Bryant is a good friend of mine...say hello for me. Any group he or Paul plays in is always outstanding.

I recall that the apartment complex hires entertainment several times a summer for the residence and the event is held around the pool. Also, I remember Bob and others playing on a Monday or Tuesday five or so years ago. I have been working Wed thru Friday.

Stop by if you get a chance this summer. I'll be at Merrick from 7:00 til 10 Wed thru Saturday, as soon as the weather breaks...generally about May 10th.

Regards,

Russ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online