SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#131408 - 10/26/07 04:52 PM Re: performance or equipment?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy: It's the money! When you go on stage, look out there at all those people, evaluate your audience, play what they want to hear, play what gets their toes tappin, play what packs the dancefloor. Play the stuff they like to hear, take the check, take the tips, go home, prop up your feet, turn on the TV and take a cool sip from your margaretta. Play what YOU want to hear, ignore your audiences and guess what--you'll be playing in your den, office or living room. You won't be playing for audiences of any kind for very long unless you play what THEY want to hear. And at the end of the day, when that check is handed to you and you get a big hug and kiss from a good looking gal who hands you a tip, that's what makes it all worthwhile. My dear, departed father has a saying that was worth repeating "There's only one thing money can't buy--POVERTY! You can rent or buy anything else you need." And. that often includes good health and love. Think about it, Gary

#131409 - 10/26/07 04:56 PM Re: performance or equipment?
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bill reed: Lee Trevino did not use a coke bottle it was a Dr pepper bottle they use to sponsor him too. bill
i've tried Dr. Pepper and it tastes like it should have a broomstick stuck in it. I like Lee Trevino even more now! btw Gary, I knew a Margaretta once but she wouldn't let me take a cool sip of her, but she made a mean margarita.

------------------
Miami Mo

#131410 - 10/26/07 05:13 PM Re: performance or equipment?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Play what they want to hear...but play it well.
Ian

I'd just like to add... Try to play what you AND your audience BOTH like.

Far too many of us that DO have chops get all bent out of shape playing music that isn't at the cutting edge of improvisation, and as harmonically complex as we can get away with, and boom! There goes YOUR enjoyment. Sure, you're making money, but are you HAPPY? Money, as they say, only buys you a good facsimile of happiness. Why not try for the real thing?!

The trick is to find that kernel of truth and passion in even the simplest of musics. Playing simple musics with honesty and drive (and enjoyment - your audience can sniff that out faster than a week old herring) takes as much chops as blowing some Herbie or Chick. Witness how poorly most jazz pianists play pop or country music if their heart isn't into it...

You have to LIKE what you play. I am as happy playing country, or reggae, or alternative as I am when playing jazz. In fact, a LOT happier than when forced to play bebop standards to an audience that doesn't want to hear it with a bunch of players that can barely keep up!

Just play good music that you AND your audience enjoy, and the money WILL flow. And even if it doesn't, you will STILL be enjoying yourself...

Not much point playing music if you are NOT, IMO...

#131411 - 10/26/07 08:30 PM Re: performance or equipment?
keysvocalssax Offline

there is no way to determine what "people" want to hear, unless you want to be a virtual jukebox that can call up any request exactly as it was recorded. i know there are some that try to become that, but i don't think that's why most of us became musicians. even then, only a few usually make requests, so it's impossible to know what everyone wants to hear, and how they want to hear it. i remember playing new years eve at a country club about 10 yrs ago, all were codgers of similar age and class and ethnic background. yet we would no sooner go into a tune/tempo/style requested by one, then another would come up and say, how about something slower, and in the middle of that someone else would try to get us to stop and play a cha-cha, and the slow dancer would get teed off, and this went on all night. if we started playing Sinatra requests, somebody would scream "Elvis ! Elvis". now that's an extreme case, but illustrative. I think there are certain things we have to keep in mind to please an audience, but these are just things that make good sense for us as well as them: nothing too loud or too fast unless everyone has a head of steam on -- play the kind of tunes that most of the crowd would recognize, don't get too far-out, play appropriate length, etc. After those I think we should try to play our best in our own fashion, and try to have as much fun doing so as we can so the crowd catches our joy. There is no reason we can't be creative, or throw in an occasional original if it has a good groove for the occasion, and play things WE like. The audience will move in our direction if we do that. We can make them like what we like of we do it right..We don't have to be automatons and/or grinning patter-masters or have mercenary musical schemes as we perform

------------------
Miami Mo

#131412 - 10/26/07 08:42 PM Re: performance or equipment?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
This one quote out of ALL of this thread does it for me:

"The trick is to find that kernel of truth and passion in even the simplest of musics."

Btw, what's wrong with being a "grinning Patter Master", being a Master at ANYTHING is a good thing (well, almost anything).

Speaking of mastering things - the original point I wanted to make was...

In regards to thread topic (I hope), I think I should point out that as far as equipment goes - old OR new - we should learn to MASTER THE BOARD WE HAVE before we throw it away for something with more Ram....

THAT can be almost as important as WHAT we play - being able to get the most out of what we HAVE right now.

Oh and I think "being a Jukebox" can be a good thing - it was just put in a derogatory way.

Being able to play a wide variety (and great number) of songs only makes MORE people happy.

If that makes me a Jukebox, then put a nickel in me - I'll play a song for ya!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#131413 - 10/26/07 09:58 PM Re: performance or equipment?
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44: Oh and I think "being a Jukebox" can be a good thing - it was just put in a derogatory way. Being able to play a wide variety (and great number) of songs only makes MORE people happy. If that makes me a Jukebox, then put a nickel in me - I'll play a song for ya!
no, playing a wide variety and great number of songs doesn't make you a jukebox. Many of us here including me can do that, but we didn't learn all those songs to be able to be a human jukebox, we learned them because we enjoy them or want to broaden our musical boundaries. just playing only what is requested as close as possible to the recording makes you a jukebox, and that WAS meant to be derogatory. if you want to do that, fine..if you can make a living at it, fine..just don't call yourself a musician. call yourself a human jukebox.

------------------
Miami Mo

#131414 - 10/27/07 08:17 AM Re: performance or equipment?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Another guy that i think did a decent job of Grape vine on a prs 3000. I give him props for his chops and production skills. I bet this would sound awesome through a real PA

Anyways

Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGHa-hrcsag

#131415 - 10/27/07 12:07 PM Re: performance or equipment?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I believe if you do what you do well and put the music before the money, the money will come. Of course, I believe that this is the way it works in almost all endeavors.

I believe $100.00 for an hour's performance at an Assisted Living facility is ok, but it surely isn't "great money". I wouldn't start my car for a $100.00 job.

The trick is figuring out how to get paid well for what you are best at. For me, it's film scores for industreial/commercial projects I write, shoot and edit. For others, it's lounges or nursing homes.

My challenge is to maintain the integrity of the music, and for me, that means no Jimmy Buffet and lots of other "no-no's". Do I thinks others should do the same...avoid the same things? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

But I do think there is a line each of us should draw and stay true to ourselves.
I expect to clear at least $10,000.00 for each film score, but, if the company is questionable or I don't believe in the product, I turn the project down, with no negotiations.

There are some that disagree with this approach, and Gary thinks that this attitude results in no work.

I will be celebrating my 52'nd year of working at least 4 nights a week for the best
organizations in the area with 9 total weeks off in Feb-2008.

As far as music or anything else I do-the quality of the work is everything.

Works for me.

Russ

#131416 - 10/27/07 03:50 PM Re: performance or equipment?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I LOVE JIMMY BUFFET MUSIC! I enjoy playing his music, I enjoy all the music I play and sing. And, when I stop enjoying what I do I'll get the hell out of this business!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#131417 - 10/27/07 05:54 PM Re: performance or equipment?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:

no, playing a wide variety and great number of songs doesn't make you a jukebox. Many of us here including me can do that, but we didn't learn all those songs to be able to be a human jukebox, we learned them because we enjoy them or want to broaden our musical boundaries. just playing only what is requested as close as possible to the recording makes you a jukebox, and that WAS meant to be derogatory.
if you want to do that, fine..if you can make a living at it, fine..just don't call yourself a musician. call yourself a human
jukebox.

You've got to be kidding.

Are you serious?

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online