SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134688 - 04/28/03 10:19 AM Tyros sequencer bug???
drpete Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Any body experiencing this problem??? Go to a preset style like modcountrypop, variation B (with drums)....using this style to record a song. Record from measure one to measure four and stop and play it. It sounds ok. Now go back to measure four ( fast forward) and start recording from measure four to measure eight. Now stop recording and play the song from the beginning. It plays ok until you get to measure four....then all hells break loose. The drums got loud, especially the bass drum. I checked the event editor and it was normal. What the hell is going on?

Bee

#134689 - 04/28/03 01:02 PM Re: Tyros sequencer bug???
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bee, I myself haven't experienced your problem, but probably because I don't use the Tyros onboard sequencer to do much recording. I prefer to use Cakewalk Sonar instead, as it offers an easier to use interface and more powerful editing tools as well.

In addition to posting here, I'd recommend (if you haven't already done so), joining the SVP World forum:
http://www.svpworld.com/forum/

and posting your question on the 'Tyros specific' message board:
http://www.svpworld.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=7

Good luck,

Scott

#134690 - 04/28/03 02:23 PM Re: Tyros sequencer bug???
drpete Offline

Scott,

Can you shed some light on how you use Sonar with tyros to compose songs? Do you arrange the song first on the tyros and then clean it up on Sonar? Or are you using sonar to do the actual recording? If so how did u set up your tracks and play back settings so to get the correct voices?

Bee

#134691 - 04/28/03 03:02 PM Re: Tyros sequencer bug???
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Bee thanks for calling my attention to this as I sequence on my keyboard because I don't have time or the know how to build sequences on a computer.

I don't care if they can get the sax to sound like Dextor Gordon, Coltrane, Phil Collins and everybody else. If it can't sequence to me it's useless. If they won't sequence why waste space putting them on a keyboard.

I'm the only guy here that uses a keyboard sequencer. But I'm a sax player and a keyboard hobbists.

#134692 - 04/28/03 03:17 PM Re: Tyros sequencer bug???
drpete Offline

Brickbo,

Likewise, one of the most important reason to getting an arranger is to be able to utilize its styles and to "arrange" its styles into a song. If an arranger is not capable of doing this or makes this process difficult, then maybe it should be called somthing else. I have done some research on this matter and the keyboards capable of doing this are the Technics kn series, the Korg i30 (thanks to you), Yamaha psr 1000/2000, and now the Tyros. All others are useless when it comes to this subject. I also have the pa80, Solton X1, Psr9000....all very limited in its ability to navigate thru the song and make changes as you like it to be.

Bee

#134693 - 04/28/03 04:30 PM Re: Tyros sequencer bug???
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bee: I'm not certain if your specific problem is an OS bug or not, but software sequencers like Sonar, Cubase, and Logic, offer far more recording/editing features along with greater user friendly navigation, drag/drop editing etc, then ANY built into the keyboard hardware sequencer can provide. The chief advantage to a built in hardware sequencer is the convenience of sequencing right at the keyboard. Unfortunately I find it frustrating though to have to always be naviagting between sub menus to perform the simplest of functions. The other advantage of a software based sequencer is that it affords a much larger screen to easily visually see a lot more information while both recording, playing back, and editing.

When recording multiple tracks, starting/ending at different measures, loop recording, etc, it's a whole LOT easier and user friendly to do it with Sonar than with ANY brand keyboard's hardware sequencer. In addition, there is a Sonar a Tyros specific 'instrument definitions' file available which allows you to select all the voices (sounds) in the Tyros from within Sonar. Being more a live performing artist than a studio recording guy, I usually just record straight out my Tyros audio outputs to Sonar (digital audio), but for multi-track midi sequence recording and post midi editing, I'd suggest recording the auto accompaniment tracks first on the Tyros, loading the recorded song (.mid) into Sonar, recording additional tracks from within Sonar, and selecting the Tyros instrument sounds from within Sonar as well.

Hope these suggestions help.

Scott

#134694 - 04/28/03 07:25 PM Re: Tyros sequencer bug???
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
The large touch screen, easy navigation of the i30, plus copying measures and copying whole choruses at a time on the i30 and pasting them over and over is a cinch.

Using the the styles I can do a tune in 30 to 45 minutes. That's plenty fast for me and is as easy as falling off a log. And don't forget, I'm a thick headed Cajun. Ha! Ha!

It takes that long to boot up my computer and load Cakewalk. The i30 has to be the easiest arranger keyboard in the world to sequence on and then to name it also.

Drpete after a year on this forum, I figure the guys here do not sequence on their keyboards. 1. The sequencing features on many keyboards leave much to be desired.
2. Besides, if you can play like Dave, Don, Donny, Scott and others why would you need to sequence.

You have to play Guitar, Trombone, Sax etc to appreciate the styles on some of the arrangers to use the sequencer.

Does any computer software have styles that even compare to arrangers? I use maybe 10 tunes I did for playing sax from BIAB and 3 or 4 from Jammer pro, just for a different sound to keep my interest up. But they aren't as sophistacated as the i30 styles. They aren't even close. I just use them for something different.

Thus again buying a keyboard is going to be different for everyone. If your a horn player and want to use styles sequenced from an arranger. Buy a dinosaur i30 off ebay. They go for between $1200 to $1600. But I'll admit, they do win the weight battle too. They are heavey weights not light weights.

I'd just hate for a horn player to buy a keyboard from someone recommendation only to have the poor horn player find out that that particular brand doesn't copy and past measures. Again if the sequencer won't copy and paste, why even put a sequencer on a keyboard. Why build a car without a steering wheel. If some of the technicians layed brick they'd probably try to start at the top. Ha! Ha!

#134695 - 04/28/03 08:31 PM Re: Tyros sequencer bug???
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Boo, I only use hardware sequencers for sequencing. And to me Roland has always been at the top..I use my G1000 for any sequence edits or changes..The only time I use PowerTracks is to reduce tracks down to 16 or less[G won't play 17 or more tracks].I also use software programs to enter lyrics or make them readable on my keyboards..

#134696 - 04/29/03 02:57 AM Re: Tyros sequencer bug???
shakeel Ahmed Offline

Loc: gujranwala,punjab,Pakistan
Oh! I am sorry to say non of u seem to have
kn6500.It has a sequencer beyond your expectations.I can say so because i have used
many synths and arrangers espacialy their
seqencing abilities.I also have sonar but
i donot need it anymore except digital rec.
The editing abilities of 6xxx touches the
height and equaly very user-friendly.

#134697 - 04/29/03 06:58 AM Re: Tyros sequencer bug???
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Bee,
I have sequenced quite a few songs using the onboard styles and never experienced any problems whatsoever. Maybe there's a lemon in your Tyros only?

------------------
Roy-Andrč

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online