SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#134962 - 07/08/03 02:05 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Let me clarify once more: CASIO WK-1630 does NOT have that problem (split). Only DGX300 has that problem. DGX202 and PSR292 does NOT have the problem but they lack reg memory ability.

Pls note that SPLIT mode allows the keyboard to be divided into 2 sections (Left and Right hand). But the right section should allow 2 voices to be layered (the good keyboard). CASIO WK1630, DGX202 and PSR292 are OK here. Your understanding that keyboard can be divided into 3 sections is not correct.

#134963 - 07/08/03 04:30 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

Ok I understand that now.

In the Casio Specs web page, this is what it saids for the pedal.

Assignable Pedal Jack (Sustain, Soft, Sostenuto, Rhythm Start/Stop)

Does the Yamaha DGX202 has these pedal options also? In their website it only saids

Foot Switch (Optional)

Second, would I ever need to press a registration memory key to change the settings in the middle of a song? Or only in the beginning if I'm performing and don't have time to press 10 buttons.

[This message has been edited by Bigfoot (edited 07-08-2003).]

#134964 - 07/08/03 05:32 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by lukitoh:

If YAMAHA corrects this deficiency, I think more players will buy it. However, most novices would not notice this until they play it in a few months and increased their playing skills and then it's too late to return the product. Also the registration memories is very limited compared to CASIO. It's very limiting to use the keyboard in live situation. As for CASIO, it's quite versatile BUT the voices are inferior in quality (not very noticeable to most novices).

This is a feature set, not a bug. It will not be changing until a new model comes out (if even then). When all is said and done, this is a musical instrument. It needs to sound good, and it needs to feel good. Everything else is subject to individual needs. Most beginners aren't thinking about live performance, nor should they be.

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#134965 - 07/08/03 11:20 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
lukitoh Offline

Bigfoot,
If you are in the middle of a song and you want to switch to different settings (i.e. different style, transpose), if your keyboard has reg memory ability then all you have to do is press that button (that you already set beforehand) and everything will change instantly !

Yamaha: You do have a point about the novice probably not caring so much about reg memory. After all, they are beginners. But for me, that is a big oversight IMO and the keyboard is unusable for performance. Yamaha does have nice feel and sounds especially DGX300 which has superb key feel that makes me love to play the machine.

#134966 - 07/12/03 08:38 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

Just saw another keyboard

Casio WK1800

Anyone tried that keyboard? How is the sound on it. I heard some clips and it sounds fuller than the WK1630.

#134967 - 07/12/03 09:16 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
lukitoh Offline

WK1800 and WK1630 sounds the same - the other one has disk drive IIRC.

Have you visitted GC yet ? Play with it a longg time at the store and you will know which one is right. They will not kick you out. I was there for like 3 hours - nobody cares.

#134968 - 07/12/03 09:26 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I owned the WK1800. It is a good beginner Arranger Keyboard or can even be of use to a more experienced player. The Piano sound is fairly decent. It has a Floppy disk Drive and uses Registrations. 32 note Polyphony makes it a little constraining as you will most likely notice note drop off when you use the Style Accompaniment feature and you Layer voices. You probably won't want to use it for gigging because many of the Voices aren't up to snuff. Although a very experienced player can make just about any Keyboard sound good. At $400 it is a good buy for what you get. But my advice is save up your money and get an Arranger Keyboard that will satisfy you over the long haul if necessary. Something that will be better to Gig with and also impress not only you more but those that happen to listen to you.

Usually a beginner who is serious about learning to play the Keyboard will eventually end up playing in a Live situation, ie., Gigging, or at the very least play in front of friends and family, etc. So get a good Keyboard from the get go which will provide you with "years" of enjoyment and will be more technically cutting edge down the road, ie., (years into the future.) But since you are a beginner make sure the Keyboard has a fairly user friendly interface (Operating System) and is easy to use, navigate, and learn. So, in other words, try to stay away from Keyboards that require you to have an advanced Degree in Mathematics or Engineering to be able to use them effectively, eg., Yamaha Motif (Original, it's a Non-Arranger though), or the Korg PA 60/80, etc.

Also, wait for Summer NAMM before you purchase anything. See what shows up there in the way of Arranger Keyboards. If something tickles your fancy start saving towards that end (Keyboard). It usually takes a few months (sometimes many months) before NAMM products hit the shelves, eg., Yammies keyboards have a tendency to take forever to reach the Market place after their initial unveiling. You know what I mean. A Loooonnnggggggggg time. Any way, that's my advice. But if you can't wait and have to have one now, I would still get an Arranger that is geared more toward the Professional which would be in the upper Mid range or even the High End category, eg., Yamaha PSR 1100/2100, Technics KN2400/2600, Technics KN7000, Yamaha Tyros, or even the new Korg PA1-X/Pro-"if the User interface (OS) turns out to be easy to use and learn."

GEM Keyboards are very good too. As are Ketron's. But again, if you are a beginner the Casio WK1800 is a decent starter Keyboard especially if you are short on dough.

Best regards,
Mike
Summer NAMM 2003, Nashville TN, USA July 18th-20th. "6" days and counting....

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-12-2003).]

#134969 - 07/12/03 11:07 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

In www.musiciansfriend.com, they sell both the WK-1630 and the WK-1800 at $299.99

There isn't a shop called Guitar Center around the area I live in. Sucks for me.

I've visited several keyboard shops around my area and haven't seen the Casio's yet. Only the Yamahas.

#134970 - 07/12/03 11:53 PM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
lukitoh Offline

Bigfoot,
If I were you, I would try really really hard to get a used PSR550 or even the old PSR740 (loaded with pro features) from one of the synthzone members or somewhere reliable. The new PSR550 can be had for $499.00 at music123.com Maybe you can get a used one for $200-300 if you're lucky. If you're really lucky, get the even newer PSR1000 for that amount of money. I bought my PSR2000 for $550 and I am set for the next 5-10 years.

If not a new one even a used PSR350 is much better sounding than CASIO WK1630 or 1800. These are older keyboards but they have all the essential features that we've been talking about here. When you amplify the keyboard, it sounds decent and much better than CASIO - warmer pianos, etc. Can't go wrong with those older models.

#134971 - 07/13/03 08:07 AM Re: Looking for a good Keyboard to learn to play
Bigfoot Offline

You know, after listening to the media clips couple more times I do tend to hear the Casio sounds weaker compared to the Yamahas. But the Casio speakers kinda makes it sound fuller.

I'm going to New York City next weekend so I'll see if there are any local keyboard shops or maybe a Guitar Center.

I will try to find a used keyboard of the models u told me.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online