SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >
Topic Options
#140598 - 10/13/03 08:05 AM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Quote: Anyone want to swap a kn7k for the Tyros?
Davie, are you going sport fishing again? Suckers are fun to catch even if they are not very good for much else.

Grandpa Doug

#140599 - 10/13/03 08:16 AM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Hi Gang.

just some comments on key feel from a rank amature hobbyist who can't play for a hill of beans. I bought quite a few organs over the years and finally bought a Yamaha US-1. I loved the instrument but noticed I couldn't play it as well as the Conn it replaced. It honestly never dawned on me the the keys were smaller but I just put it off to old age and lack of practice. I then get a PSR2000 and the problem is even more pronunced and it was becasue these keys are the same size as the US-1 but feel Horrible.
Next I pick up a bargin on a Genesys which has a great keyboard feel and really big big sound, perfect board except for one tiny little problem it weighs a ton. Well my significant other wants us to practice together (she plays the drums) so I move the Genny out of my office into the loft. She practices more then I so its very hard to practice alone(goof off is more like it)So I get a little nutty and buy a KN7000 for the office. Well that has a nice key feel and same size keys as the Genny. Good keys make a difference in my humble opinion.

As far as the sound quallity on the KN7000 it certainly is better to my ears then the PSR 2000 was and I do like most of the styles better. THe sampled organs are to die for, the Drawbars are a decent for the most part and superior to the PSR 2000's. I don't know about the Tyros I've never tried one. Navagation is where the Yamaha seems to have a real edge and they do sound good I have to guess each high end arranger has it weakness and strengths. If I were good enough to play out (I'm not) I would probably use the Genesys.

I will be in Florida when they will be having the Ketron keyboard workshop so I may just pop in to a take a listen. I will leave my American Express behind.

Jerry

#140600 - 10/13/03 09:05 AM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Uncle Dave,

How much you want for the Tyros?

is it in good condition?

Thanks

#140601 - 10/13/03 10:04 AM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
What is the acual size difference between the baby keys and the pro keys?

Yamaha Pianos (acoustic and digital including all 88 note weighted actions) are 165mm to the octave.
The Tyros and all PSR keyboards are 160mm to the octave.
That's 5 mm/octave.
Thats .4mm per key.

Dave: I know they're smaller than some of the competition, but my position is, there are more units (by various manufacturers) out there with 160 mm /octave in the non weighted or synth weighted actions than then tere are 165 mm/octave. Yamaha made the decision to go with this standard a long, long time ago. Get used to it, if you can. It won't be changing.

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America
YCASupport@yamaha.com

[This message has been edited by YamahaUS1 (edited 10-13-2003).]

#140602 - 10/13/03 10:42 AM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Steve,

What about Motif-es 61keys? Does it have the same size keys as the Tyros?

#140603 - 10/13/03 11:09 AM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by YamahaUS1:
Get used to it, if you can. It won't be changing.

Steve,
Your contributions here are very valuable to us all, and I hope you didn't take any of my recent rantings as a personal attack on you. I just won't compromise playing technique, and that's what your company is asking me to do.
More power to the users that can re-learn their muscle tone, but I am too set in my ways and refuse to scale down my fingering positions for a kb that I only like "somewhat" at best. If I loved everything else about it, and thought I would be able to keep it for a few years (years??? ... ha!)I might consider it, but there is no doubt in my mind that I am shopping at the present time. To date, NO one is making what I want....at any price, so the search continues.

Thanx Steve for all you do, but this one is out of your hands, and doesn't FIT in mine !

#140604 - 10/13/03 11:11 AM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:

How much you want for the Tyros?
is it in good condition?

$2350, and it's perfect. New a month ago - full warrentee from GC.(through me, of course)

#140605 - 10/13/03 11:15 AM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Dean:
sport fishing again? Suckers are fun to catch

Aw C'mon Doug ..... don't call me a sucker just cause I'm willing to trade down to a kn7000!

I already know that the drums are a big disapointment, and we all heard my points on the mic input, but I can learn to live with disapointment as long as I have the right size keys to play.
I only need a minimal ammount of voices, and good, solid rhythm patterns to get me through the night. The rest of the smoke and mirrors come from Midi files, MP3s and people skills. The kb is way down on the list of importance when it comes to showmanship.
( I know you mean well...... )

#140606 - 10/13/03 11:20 AM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
UDave. Forgettin' the Tyros & 2100's minutely narrower (.4 mm) key width dimension & the PSR2100's cheesy feeling action, I'm still perplexed why you had even thought a Yamaha arranger (again) might work for you, especially since (as I recall) your prefered style of playing is playing walking bass lines with your left hand (in split mode) while triggering the auto accompaniment with your right hand. Am I right on this? The fact of the matter is that Yamaha arrangers (9000pro, Tyros, and PSR2100 alike) don't support doing this. On Yamaha arranger keyboards, auto accompaniment chords (in split mode) can only be triggered from 'left' of the split point. Thus, only 'drums only' accompaniment is possible when playing left hand bass lines with auto accomp (ACMP) turned off. This setup is essentially no better than playing a along to a drum machine.

Scott

#140607 - 10/13/03 11:36 AM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi steve,it,s nice to know you are here ,yamaha seem to be stubborn on this key size issue, and i think the reason is,that yamaha target the younger player, early teens(smaller hands),yamaha are the market leaders,what i don,t understand is why do they produce so many models ,mike

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online