SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#140628 - 10/14/03 12:37 PM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Whoa! Hold your horses AJ. If you read that post again, it doesn't say that I said someone should take up golf. This was a quote from someone else, a person who many consider among the best piano players in the nation--not me. Don't shoot the messenger!

When it comes to playing ability and musical skill levels, I don't have to worry about a thing. I'm well below most everyone on this and other forums when it comes to pure musical talent, and I'm the first to admit it. I'm just an entertainer that uses a keyboard, and most of the time, make a good living with the instrument and my voice. Uncle Dave, Donny, yourself and lots of other folks can play a lot better than I will ever be able to play. And to be perfectly honest, I think that's a good thing because I am constantly learning from those who are more proficient with the keys than myself. The only reason I don't take up golf is I'm a lousy golfer as well.

I believe the point that was made is that for the vast majority of people, myself included, the relatively small difference in key size is irrelevant and has little or no impact on our various skill levels, just as the difference in cars has little or no bearing on our driving ability. Yes, I'm more comforatble in a Lincoln Town Car, but I just as happy when driving my 15-year-old van.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#140629 - 10/14/03 01:10 PM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Gary,

Ok point taken, and sorry ( truly ) for jumpimg at you, but no matter who that is coming from, even if it's a player whose light years ahead of me ( and I'm guessing that he may be and that there are plenty of players out there that are "light years " ahead of me ) , it's still snobbish. Let me put it to you a different way. If this guy is that much better than me, I still wouldn't want to try learning anything from him, if that's his attitude.

Back to the main topic. now.. Would the keys on the 2000 prevent me from feeling comfortable enough to play out live, if most of what I'm doing is playing contemporary hits ? Not that uncomfortable that I wouldn't play the 2k, but I still like my stiffer keys better. Would key feel like the 2k's bother me if I were trying to recreate piano songs done by a Keith Jarrett or Chick Corea ? ( Not that Im woulod want to attempt that on a 5 octave board anyway ) Yes, probably enough that I would leave the thing home. It's all relative I guess..

AJ

#140630 - 10/14/03 01:56 PM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Does anyone know if the Motif ES 8 has the larger keys or are they the same as the MO ES 6&7?

Al,

Yes the Motif8 and MoES8 have the piano size keys.

I don't think anyone is trying to be snobbish or stubborn about this issue, we just have different perspectives and opinions.

Why did Yamaha decide (decades ago) to go with this size keys on the ElecTone organs, and subsequently the PortaTone keyboards? I don't know. I probably never will.

If I could persuade the design group that we would sell 1000 more of each model by going to piano sized keys, they would probably start retooling tomorrow. But I don't think it's true, so I won't be very persuasive.

I'm not stubborn (well maybe a little), convince me.

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America
YCASupport@yamaha.com

#140631 - 10/14/03 02:08 PM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by matias:
Maybe we are misinterpreting Dave's mood and taking a real love problem for a technical problem And he's just refusing love in his life

Quote:

Response posted by Uncle Dave:
My love life? How DARE you even go there. I have no comment except to say this: Any mention of "love" in my posts is referring to a bond between muself and an INSTRUMENT. My private life is, just that at the moment.

Quote:
Response posted by matias:
I think Uncle Dave took my first post on the subject too seriously

Jose: On first reading, I agreed with you, but after reading UD's response a second time, I now see his humor (minus the smilyies ). I believe the bond Dave Boyd was referring to was not to his keyboard, but to his own 'private' instrument, and THAT certainly best REMAIN private.

Scott

#140632 - 10/14/03 02:31 PM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Does anyone know if the Motif ES 8 has the larger keys or are they the same as the MO ES 6&7?

Steve?

Thanks
Al

Sorry Steve but Al was asking a comparison between the Motif ES8 and the Motif ES 6/7.

Al, the Motif ES8 has the 'larger' Key size, ie., the "width" is larger than the Motif ES 6/7. Again; I don't understand why Yamaha has to put smaller Keys on their Synth weighted Keyboards. The weighted Hammer Action Keyboards take precedence for some unknown reason. I think if they didn't put the larger Keys on the 88 Key Hammer Action models they would probably get into hot water with the Piano Manufacturing Industry. If they could get away with it I think they might make "ALL" their Keyboards with the smaller Keys IMO. Thank God for checks and balances within the industry. A small stature race of people like the "Japanese" have to start thinking 'outside' the box IMO. Quit the feudal overlord mentality that won't accept 'Western' ideas or ways of thinking and the fact that there are other people on this earth that require some things in 'larger' more "proportionate" sizes. That's it!; - put other people's priorities and interests above their own. A new thought you may ask? Nah, it's been around for a least 2 thousand years.

Best regards,
Mike

#140633 - 10/14/03 02:36 PM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi steve,whether you agree or not ,at least you are listening,mike (idatrod) ,brought up an important point on this issue and that was if you are playing chords with the left hand example C7,quite often the adjoining black keys Gb and Ab press down with the G and so giving a dischord ,your last post says that you put full size keys on 2 of your keyboards,why not put full size keys on your TOP ARRANGER KEYBOARDS ONLY,you are already using these larger keys so the cost would not be a problem,look at the benefits,a lot of people will be spending more money by choosing a top of the range board rather than settling for a yamaha mediocre board,for example when i first bought my psr2000 ,initially i was going to buy a 9000pro,but on talking to a couple of dealers i realized that for half the price i was getting a lot more than half of the quality about ,3\4 (my choice),,maybe a lot of people felt the same way,,,one thing i do know is this,,yamaha produce excellent boards,and if you make your top of the range boards the BEST IN ALL FIELDS ,you will always stay on top providing your prices stay competetive,just my 2 pence worth,mike

#140634 - 10/14/03 06:19 PM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
You guys need to get a life...really....
keys??? 50+ posts???? alas...a taste of what mere mortal forums are like

#140635 - 10/14/03 07:48 PM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well, here's one more. . .
Tonight my friend Dean and I played a nursing home Octoberfest. He normally plays a Korg or Ensoniq keyboard but tonight he went off and left his "wall wart" power supply for the Korg at home. He only plays piano sounds (plus live fiddle) when we play together, so we borrowed a PSR2000 from my other friend, Hank. Everything sounded great and went great.
On the trip home I asked how he liked the Yamaha. Dean commented that the keys were too small and that he kept hitting the cracks and hitting two notes at once.
He does not read this forum (doesn't have a computer) and I had never mentioned this subject to him.
I thought it was pretty ironic that he noticed the difference. I supposed having played pianos, Korgs, etc., for 40-some years, and never having played a Yamaha much he could FEEL the difference.
He did remark that the key size would keep him from considering buying a Yamaha, although he didn't mind the touch and loved the sounds.
DonM

#140636 - 10/14/03 07:48 PM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Let's modify Gary's (my true buddy)anagogy with the car, but instead of the steering wheel..... lets say that Ford decided to put the brake pedal more to the left than usual. That's more in line with the way I see it.
You reach for the pedal to stop the car, and "oops" you need to check first, and make sure your foot is in the new position. By that time it's too late.

This actually is a very important issue, and I'm sorry Steve, I can't promise that more people will buy your kb's with better keys, but I CAN promise that I WILL buy (and promote) more of them if you do.

Maybe this is one big reason that more pros seem to look down on arrangers in general. They play one for 15 seconds...fell uneasy and cheated and make a snap decision that the rest of the instrument must be substandard as well.
Full size should mean FULL SIZE. End of story. I don't care if you sell a trillion at the smaller size ... you'll sell the SAME ammount to those buyers and you'll probably pick up a whole lot more pros in the process.
Think about it. Why DON'T you see Tyros on MTV?

#140637 - 10/14/03 08:52 PM Re: I'm sick of these BABY key s already !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Think about it. Why DON'T you see Tyros on MTV?

Uncle Dave, not only will you probably not see a Tyros on MTV, but I doubt you'll see any other arranger type keyboard (even with the larger keys) used in this type performance venue either. The reason is because they're 'arrangers', not because of the key size, as I've already spotted a 61 note Yamaha Motif6 (with PSR sized keys)being played on TV.

The simple fact appears (to me) that arranger keyboards are primarily utilized professionally by 'one man band' type solo performers, songwriting & studio production work.

Scott

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online