SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#144809 - 12/04/04 03:09 PM HELP with mixer
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I am such a dummy with gear. I recently received the Logitech 2200 sound system and was eager to mate a cheap mixer to it. I found a Behringer Eurorack UB1002 mixer --
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUB1002 at a pawn shop and bought it. Marked for $125, which is amazing, in that you can buy it new for $60. I whittled him down to $37. Now, I get back home and heck, there is no reverb. Can you imagine playing dry like this? Take a look at the URL and see the specs. I would be playing guitar/vocal. But won't this sound really crappy?

I wouldn't have done it except I had to have it very quickly and no shops are around that sell inexpensive mixers.

Anything I can do as far as settings to make my vocal sound decent? I know very little about sound.

BTW, the saleslady at Radio Shack... I was there to see how I could make it work... adaptors. She said it wouldn't work. I said I thought it would. I said why can't I come out of the TAPE OUT and go to the Logitech. I bouth a 1/8 - 1/8 female/female adaptor to hook the cords together and hey, it worked.
Any help is appreciated.

#144810 - 12/04/04 03:28 PM Re: HELP with mixer
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Semilive,

You bought the wrong mixer. For under $100 you could have picked up an Alesis with all the effects you need and the right kind of outputs. See of the pawn shop will take it back, then stop by and visit Hank The Lurker (now known as HTL) and get him to show you how the Alesis works.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#144811 - 12/04/04 03:33 PM Re: HELP with mixer
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Also, Behringer makes a 1202FX for around $100 or $125.
DonM

#144812 - 12/05/04 05:06 AM Re: HELP with mixer
Dnj Offline

I agree with Gary get the Alesis mixer.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEMM6FX

#144813 - 12/05/04 06:19 AM Re: HELP with mixer
SemiLiveMusic Offline

I got it because I couldn't wait on mail-order. I need to use it for a gig tomorrow. Why would they make a mixer like this with no reverb? What's the point? Anyway, can you imagine playing a gig with no reverb? Does anyone ever do that? Yuck. Any settings you can recommend with the EQ or anything else?

#144814 - 12/05/04 07:45 AM Re: HELP with mixer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Why would they make a mixer like this with no reverb?

There are numerous reasons for mixing signals with no reverb. My setup has effects bulit in to the kb and mic sp I'm a good example of someone who doesn't need it built in to the mixer.
DJs, don't need it.
Public speakers don't need it.
Many jazzy singers use very little or none. In fact, there are definatly times when I prefer to sing "dry". In the right setting ... intimate, small, quiet .... it's more authentic than a digital reverberation at a volume that too low to be realistic. Natural room noise is all you need sometimes.

#144815 - 12/05/04 09:17 AM Re: HELP with mixer
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Semi,

My first mixer, a Mackie 1202 did not have effects included. My second mixer, a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro does not have effects included. But they both had the provisions to interface nicely with an external effects processor (a "send" and a "return" bus).

Your Behringer 1002 includes a FX send bus. Here's a cut&paste from the manual:

FX sends (or AUX sends) enable you to feed signals via a variable control from one or more channels and sum these signals to a bus. The bus appears at the console's FX send output and can be fed from there to an external effects device. The return from the effects unit is then brought back into the console via the normal channel inputs.

So, if you're happy with your Behringer 1002, looks like you are in the market for an external effects unit. My first reverb unit was an ART MR-1, single channel, reverb only. I see a couple on EBay for $25.

-mike

#144816 - 12/05/04 09:41 AM Re: HELP with mixer
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Okay, now getting somewhere. On another forum and also this, some are saying just sing without reverb. I've never actually been too keen on such a dry sound but I'll try it.

And a $25 reverb sounds nice!

#144817 - 12/05/04 05:38 PM Re: HELP with mixer
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Semilive,

I have a great effects processor that I'll let you have for $50. It has 100 different effects and cost nearly $225 new. Email me through my website at www.travlineasy.com if you're interested.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#144818 - 12/07/04 06:55 AM Re: HELP with mixer
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Semilive - There are reverbs and there are reverbs. Some people like to buy the desk they want and add the reverb they prefer (or can afford) as having it built in gives you less choice.

KF

#144819 - 12/07/04 07:28 AM Re: HELP with mixer
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Do you have a keyboard with vocal harmonizer like PSR2000 or PSR2100 ?

I also own the exact mixer you bought and needed some reverb. What I did is to route the mics to the mixer and the output of the mixer to the mic input of the keyboard. Then I have all the great effects inside the keyboard to use. The output of the keyboard then is routed directly to the logitech Z2200 speakers. Actually UD gave this idea a while ago. It really worked well !

#144820 - 12/07/04 01:18 PM Re: HELP with mixer
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Semi - I have an Alesis NanoVerb I bought on eBay for around $60. It too would do the trick. if I thought I could get it to you for the weekend, I'd lend it to you. Again, I'm in Detroit. That would be a lot of shipping, but that's up to you. I don't need it back immediately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online