SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#146866 - 11/21/04 06:56 PM Re: the truth about Genesys
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Spalding,
I've emailed you to two different accounts. Please let me know if you've received either one. I would be happy to give you my opinion regarding these boards.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#146867 - 11/21/04 07:17 PM Re: the truth about Genesys
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
It's time to say the truth about genesys !

the sampler of the genesys is only "8 MB OF RAM" and canot be expandable.

If the sampler is really important for you, you will be sad with the genesys.

I buy one, and my dealler tell me we have 64 Mb for samples... but it's not true !

The Genesys can read AKAI And Kurzweil CD ROMS ! VERY GOOD , but... IT CAN'T LOAD THE SOUNDS FROM THE CD! BRAVO!!!! You must copy the sound into a floppy disk, and load just very little sounds !

Now, I ve heard someone tell me about a new genesys oriental..
I just want to wait for it, and see if I can load the oriental stuff into my genesys pro, even if i must replace other western things...
I have a genesys and I never played with it... it have some good ideas, but sorry, I have a Ketron SD1 beside the genesys, and we can't compare the groove, and overall sound quality...

Ok, some sounds are very seems to ketron one, I think they are using the same samples for sax and violin, but not for drums !

The sampler of the Genesys is the same shit as the Ketron one... SD1 have 16 Mb vs 8 Mb of the genesys, but in facts The SD1 don't manage good the memory, so the 16 Mb are used with 8 Mb of samples (or less) !!!

The engine of the Genesys is more powerful than Ketron, more flash, more HD, more functions, CD Writer, a lot of buttons and sliders, CD recording, MP3 Play... but musically I prefer Ketron, the sound quality is better to my ears, and the styles !...

Now there is a thing we must consider...
The Genesys have a very Big Flash memory of 64 Mb for internal samples... I think there is some memory free in this flash ram...
If Gem can say to experimented users how to put our sounds in the flash free memory, it will be a good things for this keyboard.

I m really waiting to see if i will be able to load the futur oriental wavetable and styles of the genesys oriental comming soon, into my genesys... If not, I can sell my genesys today because I don't have any usage with it for now, and just wait for the next Ketron keyboard...

I hope I tell the truth that I did'nt know when I bought my genesys !
I don't say to you to not buy the genesis, but you must know the pro and cons...

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#146868 - 11/21/04 07:40 PM Re: the truth about Genesys
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
thanks Dan .2000.So even if i obtained CD's with prerecorded samples i cannot load them ionto the keyboard without first transfering them to floppy?? I dont know where i read that the sampler had 16mb of Ram but are you certain its only 8 ?

Why have you not used the Genesys ? If tyhe whole keyboards internal sounds can be replaced through using the flash rom why have you not simply uesd some of your SD1 sounds on the Genesis including the drums?Is this not possible or have i misinterpreted the spec ?

#146869 - 11/21/04 07:40 PM Re: the truth about Genesys
zuki Offline

Hey Dave,
Tell John Brecht I said "hi". John and I were in bands and traveled the US together in the 70's.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#146870 - 11/21/04 08:10 PM Re: the truth about Genesys
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WDMcM:
[B] I can name more than fifty guys driving Chevy’s or Ford’s but only a few that drive a Ferrari. But I would sure rather be one of those guys in the Ferrari.

There isn't a Ferrari dealer here either!

If I am ever traveling through your area, I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you and give you a tour of the Genesys.

I'll buy lunch!

Sooner or later, I'll get to see one.
Peace,
DonM

#146871 - 11/21/04 08:40 PM Re: the truth about Genesys
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
As far as I know, the flash rom in the Gensys can only be replaced with a new operating system including the voices and styles which would replace the existing flash rom as it comes out of the box.
George Kaye
kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#146872 - 11/22/04 03:22 AM Re: the truth about Genesys
to the genesys Offline

If you are looking at the Genesys and the PA1X, the PA1X has better and more effects than the Genesys. The PA1X pro, (76 keys and no speakers) has a larger hard drive than the Genesys or the Genesys pro. I know sounds are subjective but the PA1x to me has much better sounds. Also, the PA1x has USB and a better mic input.

The polyphony is 62 on the PA1x but like with the Genesys it really depends on what and how you sequence. I have not noticed any note drop-outs on the Genesys pro even in some of my more complex and involved arrangements.

The Genesys has every thing onboard. Unlike, the PA1x the CD drive/burner comes with it installed. The Genesys is by far a much more intuitive and easy key board to use. You get the most for your money.

My understanding with the Genesys, is that if you want, you can replace all the sounds with your own sounds, save your settings as a new folder on the hard drive and call up that setting any time. You can always get back the original sounds by resetting sounds under system or by reloading the operating system.

If you were to do that however, you have to set aside time because if you have to load a sound and you want to put it in a specific section, you will have to page down and or arrow down to get to the spot you want to put the sound, As far as I know there is no way to type in the location you want to put the sounds. This takes time if you are going to load a number of sounds and put them in the sound family bank that you want.

#146873 - 11/22/04 04:09 AM Re: the truth about Genesys
spalding Offline

thanks to the Genesys. How long have you been using your Genesys pro and what do you use it for ? Have you used the sampler and what is your opinion of it ? I have heard that there maybe a problem in termsof battery life. The board needs to be plugged in overnight to recharge after several days use?? how do you get around that as obviously leaving anything plugged in overnight seems to me to be a potential fire hazzard ! You say that the sound are better on the PA1X compared to the Genesys. In terms of value for money, is the PA1x worth the extra cost compared to the Genesys and would you if given the opportunity buy the Korg over the Genesys? I can compromise on some aspects but sound is something that is critical as far as i am concerned. I have heard the PA1x on the DVD . The sound is nice but the demontratoin lacked any enthusiasm and i was not inspired to pay for the cost of a small family car for this unit
But i need to upgrade my psr8000, the psr3000 feels and looks like a toy and the sound is nice through a pa system but very average through its own speakers. I am often rehearsing in artists homes or in available rooms in the church. I need to be able to set up and take down easily so internal speakers are essential. You have had your board a while tellme what exceeded your expectations and what really got on your nerves. Have you used the Genesys to do studio type work ? Can you record audio on the unit like vocals and edit this at all. I need an all in one unit that is truly useful for professional use. Is the Genesys the board i should be focusing on or should i hold onto my money a little longer ? What are the strengths and cweaknesses of the Korg?If i have to then i will strecth for the Korg but cant do this till later in the new year and i am under a little time pressure as the music project i have taken on needs to start DEcember Janauary. Thanks for your help.

#146874 - 11/22/04 05:25 AM Re: the truth about Genesys
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
with the roland G70 coming onto the market next week(?)similar price,maybe its a good idea to compare info,and see the feedback,and then you may have a better picture,to make your decision,mike (sorry no speakers)

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 11-22-2004).]

#146875 - 11/22/04 07:11 AM Re: the truth about Genesys
spalding Offline

AS far as i am aware the Roland does not have a sampler or internal onboard speakers so it is ruled out of the equation

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online