SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#156737 - 08/02/07 05:50 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
I wish I (and my wife) could work without books.

Unfortunately we do 300+ songs that run the gamut from those tricky Jazz songs (I find the chord structure in some of those songs to be intimidating) to lyric intensive Rap/RnB
(anyone tried remembering the ENTIRE rap to Bust-a-move????)

We pretty much know our core songs too, but there are requests for stuff (or "different" gig situations we find ourselves in) that require us to do songs we haven't done for AGES.

Ya know, there is even a school of thought I've encountered where some performers think it's only PROFESSIONAL to have your lyrics etc handy because to forget the words of a beloved song makes your audience pretty unhappy, and does make the performer look silly...

It's worth noting that we use almost entirely SMFs - so the arrangements are set in stone, not arranger styles, where the PERFORMER can dictate the way the song goes (if they, say, forget a verse) so it really is a "discipline" to play with a sequence in that regard.

In short, we have our books within "eyeshot" and keep them unobtrusive to the audience.

We get the words right.
We get the arrangements right.
We do, honestly, a STAGGERING range of material.

All thanks to the books.

hellboy checked out your website ....are there any demos on there?

#156738 - 08/02/07 05:52 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Nah.

We're working on it though.

We're going to video a couple of upcoming gigs.

Stay tuned...

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#156739 - 08/02/07 06:00 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Dnj Offline

Great ......I cant wait!!

good luck with the project.

#156740 - 08/02/07 11:46 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Ya know, there is a KIND of demo on there.

ME!

Click on :

"See Greg's commercials" and you'll see a bunch of ads done for a Television Network in Australia (National - but only in Country areas - Southern Cross Ten).

They get weirder and funnier as they go along...

*ahem* at least I think they're funny!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#156741 - 08/07/07 09:03 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Dnj Offline

No Expression or EYE contact with the audience looks like this when your sitting out there ........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TFnxIksYVI

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-08-2007).]

#156742 - 08/08/07 06:57 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I've been lucky to be able to memorize almost all my music, so keeping eye contact is not a problem for me. I know that playing on those dark stages at weddings it sometimes didn't matter because they couldn't see us anyway. But in today's stand-up market it's essential.

I usually don't try to make personal, face contact with people - that seems too invasive for me. But last month when we played on the street I went out of my way to try to make good eye contact and talk to people passing by. In doing so, I seemed to catch the eye of a woman who seemed more interested than I was comfortable with. Whoa, Nellie... no more of that kind of eye contact.

#156743 - 08/08/07 08:13 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
But last month when we played on the street I went out of my way to try to make good eye contact and talk to people passing by. In doing so, I seemed to catch the eye of a woman who seemed more interested than I was comfortable with. Whoa, Nellie... no more of that kind of eye contact.

cassp.....making eye CONNECTION is imperative to a successful performance...its that battery between musician & audience that creates the magic of music! Look right into their eyes and make them "FEEL YOUR SOUL" !!!

#156744 - 08/08/07 10:46 PM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
cassp.....making eye CONNECTION is imperative to a successful performance...its that battery between musician & audience that creates the magic of music! Look right into their eyes and make them "FEEL YOUR SOUL" !!!

Direct eye contact is a western thing. In other countries, Asian, for instance, it's regarded as being rude and aggressive so one should be well aware of the cultural differences.

Taike

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 08-09-2007).]

#156745 - 08/09/07 05:46 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Dnj Offline

Im glad I live in the USA

#156746 - 08/09/07 06:12 AM Re: How are you making eye contact with the Audience if your a "Reader" ...Crutch or?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Im glad I live in the USA

I'm glad I don't.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online