SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#159149 - 01/31/07 11:41 AM Re: Moving away from band work...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Good point, Tom. To be well rounded and to work more, it's good to be able to do both.

I have a little week-end job at an "Asian Grease-pit", as Dave called it, which I do as a single. I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere and the staff and customers (except for the recent interruption of the "Philly Flash"). After that, I go to what I call a "snoot" club...full of people who think they're richer, prettier and smarter than they really are. Because of the atmosphere, these dummies are intimidated into acting like they understand and appreciate jazz...NOT!

Oh well, the check still clears on Monday!

Russ

#159150 - 01/31/07 11:48 AM Re: Moving away from band work...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
"Ain't this GREAT"? Almost 70 posts and radically different beliefs on the subject, without rudeness..."I'm right...you're wrong", etc.

Every post was done in the spirit of sharing experience and beliefs...a valuable exchange which speaks well for this group.

I appreciate it, everyone!

Russ

#159151 - 01/31/07 11:52 AM Re: Moving away from band work...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Probably the most fruitful thread I've ever started, lol...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#159152 - 01/31/07 11:57 AM Re: Moving away from band work...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
After that, I go to what I call a "snoot" club...full of people who think they're richer, prettier and smarter than they really are. Because of the atmosphere, these dummies are intimidated into acting like they understand and appreciate jazz...NOT!
Oh well, the check still clears on Monday!
Russ

.... careful, Russ ... this is a PUBLIC forum !!! ...

t.

#159153 - 01/31/07 11:59 AM Re: Moving away from band work...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
"Ain't this GREAT"? Almost 70 posts and radically different beliefs on the subject, without rudeness..."I'm right...you're wrong", etc.
Every post was done in the spirit of sharing experience and beliefs...a valuable exchange which speaks well for this group.
I appreciate it, everyone!
Russ

..... yes, I would say it was appreciated by all ...
t.

#159154 - 01/31/07 02:12 PM Re: Moving away from band work...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There are musicians from ALL musical and professional walks of life here at SZ, it is fairly unique amongst music forums that tend to dismiss beginners and amateurs.

I think it is important to have ALL viewpoints represented, and advice, when offered, to be qualified with knowledge that what works for one, may not be for all.....

Our membership here runs from writers of film scores, that rarely gig live, to weekenders that just play retirement communities, to full-time pros that perform almost every night (or day!), to people that have just bought an arranger as their first instrument ever.

Skill levels vary from guys that have performed and recorded with major artists (although almost definitely NOT on an arranger!) to beginners that still haven't quite got the I IV V thing down....

As such, all should be careful reading and taking advice from ANYONE here (myself especially!) until they are sure their experience level and goals are similar to the offerer of that advice!

Perhaps, as pianists initially, many of us are used to playing by ourselves, it's the way we were taught. Drummers, bassists, horn players, all these other instruments tend to be taught in an ensemble, and solo work seems unnatural to them. Only us and guitarists find it easy to go it alone.

But it is all too easy to take someone's advice and stick to going solo, and thus miss out on the advantages that learning and growing musically with the help of others can bring.

Sure, after you have played the first few years of your professional life in bands, you probably have sufficient chops and skill and knowledge to be able to perform with an arranger with no further input from others, but if you never go through this process (as it is possible to believe, from some posters here), there are a lot of skills you will miss out on.

I just believe that at least a certain amount of group playing is the finishing school of a musician's education, and would discourage anyone who has not at least tried live playing for a while from going solo immediately.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-31-2007).]

#159155 - 01/31/07 03:15 PM Re: Moving away from band work...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I just believe that at least a certain amount of group playing is the finishing school of a musician's education, and would discourage anyone who has not at least tried live playing for a while from going solo immediately.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-31-2007).]

Good point, Diki...I agree wholeheartedly.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online