SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#161707 - 12/01/04 09:19 AM My own weight loss story
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
First of all, hats off to Gary on his weight loss!

My own little story...

My wife put each of us on the South Beach diet at the start of November, She remarked, "I KNOW you'll cheat when you're on the road...try to lose a few pounds, will you?"

Well, who wouldn't respond to a loving challenge like that?

Patty's goal is to drop 15 lbs. by the new year, so far she's about half that.

I on the other hand, started at 243 on November 1st. As of this morning I am down to 224!!!

19 pounds in a month!

It'd driving her crazy, LOL!!!

Bill in Dayton

#161708 - 12/01/04 09:42 AM Re: My own weight loss story
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Hi Bill.
Congratulations! It seems 'everybody' is getting heathier around here Not to influence your progress, but when in a diet the first pounds can be lost very quickly. It frequently means a water loss, not a fat loss. After a certain time the weight loss slows down a bit; that's you rbody getting rid of the fat.

I found out recently that "our" Kurzweil (yes, Raymond Kurzweil, the pioneer of Kurzweil synths, also the author of many other inventions) wrote a book about healthy living, back in 1993. It's freely available here: http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/meme/memelist.html?m%3D10

Good luck for your diet, Bill.

-- José.

#161709 - 12/01/04 09:50 AM Re: My own weight loss story
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jose,

While there are some folks that would like to believe this is water loss, in truth--it is not. It's real fat that you're loosing on this diet. Keep in mind that water weighs nearly 7 pounds per gallon. If you were to loose that much bodily fluid in a month, you would be so severely dehydrated that you would likely be in renal failure. Additionally, on the South Beach Program, you drink huge quantities of water, 8 to 10 full glasses daily, which is much more than a person normally drinks. This keeps your body hydrated as well as helping prevent constipation, which is a problem with high protien diets. Keep up the good work Bill and stick with the program--it works.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#161710 - 12/01/04 10:21 AM Re: My own weight loss story
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Hi Gary.

Are you also on this "Sounth Beach Diet"? When I answered Bill's post I didn't even looked at the program's name. I agree with you. The idea is loosing fat, of course, and that's the way it works. But normally, in all diets, the first thing that happens in the first weeks is a reduction in water retention in the body, which produces spectacular results in the short term. After this period, if you are disciplined, you continue to loose weight through a real fat loss, but at a slower pace. Of course, there's no danger of dehydration as long as you keep water flowing in your body. In fact the water plays an important role in the diet besides keeping you well hydrated: it's the water that carries away fat particles and toxins acumulated in it.

Now, the real challenge is making permanent the new eating style. I lost about 15/20 pounds during a period of 5/6 months with no special method, but with some knowledge of the function/energetic content of the several nutrients, and with absolutely no starving at all.

Good luck for your programs and for the time after them!

-- José.

#161711 - 12/01/04 11:27 AM Re: My own weight loss story
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jose,

I've been on the program since June and for me it's a lifestyle change. This is the only way you'll maintain the weight loss, and enjoy the added bonus of good health. DNJ went on the same program about 2 months later, he has lost about 45 pounds, and can't believe how many inches he has lost as well. One of the first things you notice on this particular program is your waistline is dramatically reduced. In my case I went from wearing trousers with a size 42 waist that was very tight, to a size 37 which is now loose. For the first time in nearly 20 years, I put on an old pair of size 36 jeans. They're a little snug, but I had no trouble buttoning them.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#161712 - 12/01/04 01:37 PM Re: My own weight loss story
Dnj Offline

Been on the SBD Since Sept 7th...I lost 48 pounds so far.....

http://www.southbeachdiet.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-01-2004).]

#161713 - 12/01/04 05:36 PM Re: My own weight loss story
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Another factor to consider is that exercise has NOT been a componant of my weight loss plan. I plan on getting the treadmill out of the back of the garage in the next week or so and integrating that in addition to my new eating habits.

Wonder if Gary or Donnie (Or anyone else, for that matter) can shed any first hand experiences or predictions on the impact of adding a daily 30 minute stint on the treadmill will have...

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-01-2004).]

#161714 - 12/01/04 05:43 PM Re: My own weight loss story
Dnj Offline

I walk as much as I can and Gary runs the thread mill every night! But you gotta stick to the SBD plan...... for the rest of your life if you want to stay at a certain weight and be healthy also.If you just wanna lose weight then return to your old ways the SBD isn't for you.. Remember its not a Diet...but a Way Of Life

This link will help you if your serious....

http://southbeachdietguide.com/forums/index.php

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-02-2004).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online