SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#181392 - 08/10/07 09:44 AM Re: your input re kb amps?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango: K4 is 50 pounds..The most powerful keyboard amp on the market[Keyboard Mag]..Tri amped..best midrange for vocals too..If you like to warm up a digital sound..TUBE preamp..
Fran, site i went to says 57 lbs...Mo

#181393 - 08/10/07 10:50 AM Re: your input re kb amps?
keysvocalssax Offline

fran, here it is on the traynor site: http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=9&cat=57&id=340 57.3 lbs.. if it's THAT much better than everything else out there I'll spring for the $, but the weight is at this point a possible discouragement.. outside of Barbetta, anyone have any others to recommend, new, classic, or in-between..12".. UNDER 50 lbs....whaat about the Roland kc350?

#181394 - 08/10/07 11:22 AM Re: your input re kb amps?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mo I own a K4..

http://www.traynoramps.com/downloads/specsheet/k4.pdf

New specs must be a misprint or the K4 is still growing...

I attached the link to the Specs when I purchased mine last Dec..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-10-2007).]

#181395 - 08/10/07 11:47 AM Re: your input re kb amps?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
this TOA 4-ch kb amp has just been relisted on
ebay after no bidders 1st time..opening bid
is $99 and may go for that or not too much
more..it's 1 hr 20 min drive from my house so i can check it out, save shipping...anyone familiar with it? MO
]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...:12[/QUOTE]

Traded in a Peavey KB300 for one many years ago, thought the size and weight would be ideal. I had Toa 3-ways for my PA and loved them. The keyboard amp was a different story. The one I had couldn't handle the keyboards and midi files. It would distort. Maybe it was just that amp, maybe not. I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't return or resell it. I'd want to play thru it first. Hope this helps.

I have a Kustom KMX100 with a 15", but the cabinet is light and can handle a small venue easily. It has a line out that shuts off the cab spkr., but you can have it changed to use both spkrs. if you wish. They also have two smaller models. http://www.kustom.com/amps/keyboard/kma/kma65X_combo.asp

#181396 - 08/10/07 12:01 PM Re: your input re kb amps?
Fran Carango Offline

Mo , I too was looking for a compact, yet powerful keyboard amp with a strong bottom...I wanted something for my solo jobs..

I owned a couple of the smaller Roland keyboard amps KC series..They are ok, but don't compete with the older Roland Cube keyboard amps..{I still have a pair of Roland 100's(15")..plus another as a spare]...I prefer these over anything I have used..For punch and bottom...nothing beats the big bottom of the old Roland's..

I bought and sold the Alesis 100 and 300..Poor quality, and tried some of my older small amps too..About a year ago, after reading about the Traynor K4, and being a fan of Yorkville sound[Distributor]..I decided that was going to be the unit for me...Last December I followed through and purchased[without trying it]..and I liked what it had and it's features...Bass response was excellent[a 12" that competed with a lot of 15" units]..I was reluctant to use it on larger jobs [250 people or more]..using my Roland's instead[70 pounds each]..Then I did an indoor job [200 people]..it breezed...Than an outdoor gig with 300 people..still breezed..never ran more than half volume..

I even pushed the bass[EQ]...and dancers loved it...

The tubes add to warm up sounds that could use more warmth..

Try it before you pass on it..

#181397 - 08/10/07 12:02 PM Re: your input re kb amps?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
All the resistance to over 30 lb. arrangers, and here we are talking about 50 lb+ amps...

Maybe the next time you sneer at a guitarist using two speakers on poles and a self powered amp, you MIGHT consider that each of those components doesn't weigh more that 25 lb., probably. If sticking them up on poles, widely separated is what annoys you, you can always put them on the ground in exactly the same place you would have put a keyboard amp.

Dee...taa......Deeeee!

And also remember, there's a reason they are elevated speakers... The minute the crowd gets up and dances in front of you, there goes the sound for the rest of the room... You sound like mud, and no-one can hear the vocals.

Weren't you the one who chose NOT to go with a G70 because it was 45 lb., despite having all the foot controls and other things you hated weren't on the E60?

#181398 - 08/10/07 12:15 PM Re: your input re kb amps?
Fran Carango Offline

Diki, what sound system do you use?

#181399 - 08/10/07 12:56 PM Re: your input re kb amps?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
It depends on the venue...

We play an large outdoor venue for up to 300+ twice or more every week, and use a rack with a Mackie mixer, x-over, eq's and two Crown amps. Probably a kilowatt+... two 18' subs and a pair of JBL SR series 12" and horn top cabs (unbelievable volume, quality and reliability in those SR series!). Two 12" Peavey cabs for monitors. It's a lot of gear, but a BIG outdoor venue that needs fairly high volume (and it was designed for a full four-piece with a drummer, etc.). It stays at the gig.

For smaller outdoors, and indoor gigs we use the JBLs again, but use a Mackie 15" powered sub and a Yamaha self powered mixer (EMX2000-12), no monitors.

And several smaller restaurant and piano-bar gigs have house systems...

It just varies... Remember, I don't solo too much. So humping the gear isn't quite the problem solos, and older players have. Quality, volume (when needed) and reliability are our focus. We've used the deck rig for 2000+ seater outdoor concerts at full volume. No problems.

I can't recommend those JBL SR (now SRX) series too highly. You get what you pay for. 10 years+ playing a full band through them at close to concert levels, ON A BEACHFRONT without a single driver problem...

OTOH, I have never played through a keyboard amp that didn't suck (Peaveys, Rolands, Barbettas Carvins, Motion-Sound etc.) compared to those JBLs...

#181400 - 08/10/07 01:08 PM Re: your input re kb amps?
keysvocalssax Offline

Fran:
The discrepancy question was solved by my call to Yorkville
in Ontario. they said that the 50 lbs was inaccurate, and they
updated all their specs this year--so that's why it now says
57.3 lbs. Hoiwever, there is new Traynor K2 , sort of a
"little brother" of the K4. it's got all the features except
only 2 channels, 3-band eq, and it's not stereo. it's 44 lbs
and can be had for $525-585 online w/free shipping. If my
"dumbell test" fails, and 57.3 proves too much, I'm going to consider the K2..have you tried it?

Diki:
sometimes you are terrific and sometimes you are an insufferable snot. I explained to you once before that
handling weight in a kb is totally different from handling
it in an amp. if one can't understand that, one is either
a moron (which you are obviously not) or has an agenda
to just win arguments based on their prejudices. you are
a g-70 fan (fanatic is more apt) and anyone who can afford one and likes the sounds who doesn't get one is in your mind commiting an unpardonable transgression.
Similarly, your hounding me on using midi pedals for the E60 was off-base, as George Kaye investigated that for me and found it very problematic, even after discussing it with the #1 tech at Roland.
also, to answer another of your barbs, I don't generally play to large groups of people dancing in front of me, and
when i do, they become the audience, and the beat becomes the issue, and muddiness becomes irrelevant.
I don't have to project clarity THROUGH them to another
audience, just AT them.
You are at the same time one of the most helpful and one
of the most intolerant people on sz. Try to get out of your
own prejudices and LISTEN once in a while, OK?

------------------
Miami Mo

#181401 - 08/10/07 01:30 PM Re: your input re kb amps?
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
IOTOH, I have never played through a keyboard amp that didn't suck (Peaveys, Rolands, Barbettas Carvins, Motion-Sound etc.) compared to those JBLs...

i saw this after my last reply to you Diki..
it just reinforces what an insufferable snot you can be at times. eveyone does not have the same uses and the same needs, that's why there are so many choices. but to you there is only ONE acceptable choice..yours. but what is far more annoying about you than that is your setting up "straw man" arguments, where you attribute motives
or interpretations to what others say that are not what
they mean, and then proceed to knock them down. my
objection to the folkie guitarist example was that sound
reinforcement became overkill to the acoustic spirit that that kind of music was born in, and that the broad separation was a further unreal aspect of performance. of course that doesn't suit your purpose--which is whenever
possible to "get back" at me for not making sense to you
about why i don't use a g70 like you do.

------------------
Miami Mo

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online