Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#186618 - 06/02/06 08:07 PM Re: New styles from LIONSTRACS MS X76
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
To the Genesys puts:
if you want to sound like a DJ or a Karaoke machine, then get a Casio or PSR/Tyros 2.
But if you are gigging and want to stay in the music business and want to have an identity as a performer, then you should be prepared to work, tweak and create.

I think you'll get some strong comments back from that statement.
Loads of us on here regardless what type of arrangers we have always tweak our instruments and create our own styles and sounds instead of using the presets. As for sounding like a DJ or Karaoke machine, that comment is pure c**p, unless you just shove a disk in and let it play itself.
Many on SZ have also been in the business for years and even have their own music shops or teach music etc so we already have established identities and certainly put the man hours in when it comes to work.
By the way, what keyboard(s) do you have. With Genesys I'm assuming it's the one by Gem?

Craig:
I can appreciate that some do put in the amount of work and preparation required of a gigging musician, but there are some that just want (and expect to) take a new keyboard out of the box at 7:00pm and start gigging at 7:15pm.

One of the problems is that some audiences do not know what we are doing as arranger players and lump us together with DJs or Karaoke machines. So it doesn’t help if some manufacturer’s styles sound like a CD. Nor does it help when we have all the style tracks playing at the same time but the audience knows and sees only one person.

This is why I talk about individuality. It is about having a sound and style unique to your self. With arrangers it is very possible to do so.
It’s about having an accompaniment but still letting your audience know (by your music and stage presents) that you are in charge and you are not just playing or singing over some factory prerecorded thing.

Just look at the style of some of the seasoned OMB players. UD plays left hand bass sometimes, Scottyee mute some style tracks and plays a piano sound in the left and right hand simultaneously, Fran plays with adjusted midi files … and so on.

That’s the beauty of arrangers they give the player so much performance options and so many ways for a player to express his or her musical individuality; much more than a traditional closed system “workstation”.

The Genesys pro (which I use at the moment), still has the best all in one feature set for an arranger (probably second to the mediastation and Worsy if they are any good). The Genesys has good styles, good sounds,, a full functioning 32 track sequencer, a sampler (not just a sample reader), a sound editor, audio recording, a harmonizer, a CD and MP3 player and many other things. All you carry on a gig is the genesys pro and your sound system.

#186619 - 06/02/06 11:32 PM Re: New styles from LIONSTRACS MS X76
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Filipe Tomás
The sounds are coming together quite nicely, however if you are using Giga Samples do not record at less then 256 Kbs, otherwise the sounds have a very restrained effect. (Record it again at 256 and compare the 2; you will be amazed at the improvement in sound quality)
Keep up the good work.

Bill

#186620 - 06/03/06 02:22 AM Re: New styles from LIONSTRACS MS X76
trtjazz Offline

I cannot figure out why these guys cannot get a decent video demo together. Every one I have seen of theirs looks like amature hour at the family thanksgiving dinner.

This guy is actually a great player with the chops and could show this board off much better if they'd rent a decent camera, go into a room with better acoustics, instead of the warehouse or whatever it is they are in here.

Too many button pushes too when the guy told him to change to piano.

I like this concept and have from the beginning, but will wait until someone puts together a "real" setup based on pc and plugs ins.

I'm not really sure how hard that could be, all the stuff is out there already, it's a matter of cooperation and assembly I believe.

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.artisans-world.com/

#186621 - 06/03/06 04:35 AM Re: New styles from LIONSTRACS MS X76
Filipe Tomas Offline

Hi ABACUS, I replace the hold file by this new with 320Kps.

This style have WAV, GM and GIGA
( Is not MP3 in the arranger, but WAV )

There is the link:
http://www.filipe-veronica.com/msfilipedemo.mp3

Have a nice weekend .
Thanks

Filipe Tomas
Best Regard´s

#186622 - 06/03/06 05:51 AM Re: New styles from LIONSTRACS MS X76
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Filipe. Well that I must say is the best sound I've heard for a style coming out of the Mediastation up to yet, however even with giga sounds it still sounds to me no better than what I've heard coming out of a £500 Casio or low end PSR. It certainly doesn't grab you by the dangly bits and makes you go wow like the styles from the big manufacturers do.
Cheers for taking the time to post something though and best wishes to you.

#186623 - 06/03/06 06:40 AM Re: New styles from LIONSTRACS MS X76
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
i like what youve done filipe with your short demo thanks for that.

However craig just hit the nail on the head.

#186624 - 06/03/06 08:40 AM Re: New styles from LIONSTRACS MS X76
Magica Alfa Offline

Really is nice to hear good sound of MS Filipe.

If somebody compare that with low cost system, than does not know that your style is from best sounds made. (GIGA - TASCAM please, comes to see what are some people tell here for your equipment)

For me are drums are really fantastic, bass nice and good balanced. And if you are looking on EQ you can see that all frequencies are well positioned. (3D picture is good) And on the end here are just enough instruments, not too much.

to the genesys: you are right all is on arranger not on demo and gigging musician.
I agree with you at all.

You need short time to prepare for playing. Also they need freedom to mute some parts or only play drums if audience wants to cooperate. This is life. In other way we will be DJ. If we are not having open system and change something every day is better to finish with playing and begin something else.

We need FREEDOM. Some of you forget that.

#186625 - 06/03/06 11:31 AM Re: New styles from LIONSTRACS MS X76
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Magica I've used Giga samples since they were first ever available and have quite an extensive library. I do loads of backing tracks for singers on the professional UK circuit so need access to quality sounds. The arranger side of me is because I come from an organ background but my main bread and butter stuff is in the recording studio using PC and Mac software, synths etc. None of my Giga sounds sound that bad or cheap which I'm pleased to say.

#186626 - 06/03/06 02:59 PM Re: New styles from LIONSTRACS MS X76
Magica Alfa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig_UK:
Magica I've used Giga samples since they were first ever available and have quite an extensive library. I do loads of backing tracks for singers on the professional UK circuit so need access to quality sounds. The arranger side of me is because I come from an organ background but my main bread and butter stuff is in the recording studio using PC and Mac software, synths etc. None of my Giga sounds sound that bad or cheap which I'm pleased to say.

That’s mean that you want to play always with good sounds.
GIGA SAMPLER is good thing. You can prepare all what you want.
But you can prepare also sounds with other stuff as VST and if you are having chain, can be sound specialized only for you.
You know how powerful computer with all this good sinths, programs, and converters is. You can do what you want.
Only thing is that you must know what you are doing.

Only chance for developing sounds and arrangers is that more people play with things like LIONSTRACS MEDIASTATION.

In next years will be with this system arrangers totally different.

Give them chance for future. But also critical remarks are good for developing.

We can always learn something.

#186627 - 06/05/06 02:33 PM Re: New styles from LIONSTRACS MS X76
Filipe Tomas Offline

To CRAIG:

Hi, after I place my demo about my Mediastation 76, i´m ready to ear from you a demo of your "sound type" in your keyboard. Whith this the forum people can apreciate too your sound type.

Thanks
Best regard´s

Filipe Tomas

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online