Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#190418 - 10/20/05 09:42 AM Re: Bose PA questions
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Besides, it's kinda' fun gettin' oogled by relatively young ladies

Gary, you olde rascal! BTW, what's "relatively young", under 60 or under 70?

Glenn

#190419 - 10/20/05 10:32 AM Re: Bose PA questions
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

The system delivers 750 Watts continuous power, broken down into 3x250 Watts (RMS). Each of the two sections of the L1 Cylindrical Radiator? loudspeaker handle 250 Watts and another 250 Watts are delivered into up to two B1 bass modules.

This is both the power rating of the power amplifiers and the loudspeakers. These ratings do NOT reflect the actual power that is typically produced by the power amplifier and consumed by the loudspeaker.

DonM

250W x "2" Cylindrical Radiator speakers = 500W. The Bass Module is separate from the Speakers so in actuality the Speaker output is 500W instead of the acclaimed 750W. Since Bose is evidently running the Amplifiers in "Bridged" mode the 'total' Wattage is 750W but again only 500 Watts are through the Cylindrical speakers since the Bass Module is separate from the output of the speakers themselves.

Another thing to consider is Bose rates their loudspeakers at 4 Ohms. So at a rating of 250W at "4" Ohms could theoretically be a lot 'less' than the FTC-mandated "8" Ohm spec. In other words 250 at 4 Ohms would and could be as low as 125W per channel at the FTC-mandated 8 Ohm spec., with the variables being the impedance factor, power supply rating, quality of the amplifier itself, etc. So what Bose is trying to do in my opinion is make their Speakers look better by giving the 4 Ohm rating than giving the FTC-mandated 8 Ohm specification listing.

I know I'm being overly technical but these things need to be pointed out.

As to being over priced, well all I can say is Bose is making a boat load of profit on each PAS they sell and those who purchase one are paying way too much in my opinion and adding to Bose's already huge coffers while the customer is essentially buying a "name" and paying more for it as apposed to a competively priced "product" regardless of name.

Another nit pik is the dimensions of the Base that the Radiators attach to. Too big and too cumbersome to transport in my opinion, let alone all the other 'pieces' to the puzzle that need to be transported along with it. You are essentially putting together a Speaker[s] System where instead a Speaker[s] should be one solid unit to begin with in my opinion and should not have to be 'assembled' and re-assembled with each use.

Okay, I'll stop for now. If you don't mind the discrepancies and the added hassle to setup and tear down and the sound is adequate to your ears and more importantly to the audiences then more power to you.

Realize though that you will need "2" Bose PAS "systems" to get stereo sound and also that Piano sounds on a keyboard are more than likely to be sampled in stereo so if you only have "1" PAS then because of the phase cancellation effect the Piano sounds you play may sound less than desireable and perhaps even muddy as Don mentioned. And if you happen to purchase "2" PAS systems you've just "doubled" the setup/tear down hassle plus you may need to purchase a bigger vehicle to transport them with. Not to mention your nearly empty bank account which was full before the PAS transactions.

Okay, I'm through now... really.

Best regards,
Mike

#190420 - 10/20/05 11:12 AM Re: Bose PA questions
Dnj Offline

What a load of crap............thanx for the laugh my friend .....this is why I dont listen to any of this stuff.....and make MY own decision with my own ears!
I auditioned it, I bought it, I love its sound,
my audiences love it, my back loves it, my pocket loves it...Nufff Said

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-20-2005).]

#190421 - 10/20/05 12:28 PM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
JBL eon sub 2 ohms
JBL won't even tell you the impedence of the eon G2, they tell you "Amplifier Power LF: 300 watts @ low-frequency driver impedance." ? If they weren't ashamed they'd tell you right up front in big letters.
Call the FTC lets turn 'em in. and they charge $699 apiece
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
I know I'm being overly technical but these things need to be pointed out.

And then JBL takes the same tired design everybody has been using for years and they want to make a profit...shame on them.

lets see 2 JBL eon G2's One sub woofer, stands, cables, monitors at least one to hear yourself. And a mixer.
how much does all that weigh, not to mention cost?
How many trips to the car is that?
I'm not saying this system is for everybody or every situation, but I wonder why some people go to such great lengths to condemn what they don't understand.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 10-20-2005).]

#190422 - 10/20/05 12:29 PM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

I hope nobody in my town ever buys one, that way I know I'll have the best sound around.

#190423 - 10/20/05 03:30 PM Re: Bose PA questions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I ordered one today. I will decide for myself after it arrives.
BTW, I got it from Musician's Friend and they matched the $1870. price that Guitar Center quoted. Also free shipping and no interest.
DonM

#190424 - 10/20/05 04:15 PM Re: Bose PA questions
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I ordered one today.I got it from Musician's Friend. Also free shipping
and no interest.

"No interest"!?

I'd think a true musician's friend would show at least a little. Sorry, couldn't resist

DonM, I know the Bose PAS will compliment the sound of your SD1 nicely. Great combo. Enjoy.

#190425 - 10/20/05 04:26 PM Re: Bose PA questions
mikeathome1 Offline

That's where I got mine, MF, no interest, no sales tax, and free shipping and like you said matched the local Guitar Center which was having a grand opening at the time. Both owned by the same company they also took over the local yammie dealer and band instrument rental American Music I think was the name.
Not many indie music stores left around here.

Don't forget to twist that sub cable after you plug it in !
can't wait to hear your opinion

#190426 - 10/20/05 04:42 PM Re: Bose PA questions
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don,

You're gonna' love what you hear. Give me a call and I'll walk you through the setup. The key to success is to set the volumes exactly as the instruction manual says and you'll have no problems. And, if you need a longer sub cable, let me know and I'll be more than happy to custome make one for you.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#190427 - 10/20/05 06:07 PM Re: Bose PA questions
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Don...
Congratulations. Keep an open mind. You and your audiences are going to love it. It is different to be sure...but ohhhhhhhh so sweet.
Eddie

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online