SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#191453 - 12/04/06 02:04 PM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I like the fact that as late comer to playing gigs 2 years ago at 52 years of age I have learned more here in that time than I probably could have in 5 years by myself. I've a friend of 30 plus years who is a one man band. We've done everything from work for the same company, run road races, played racquet ball, travelled with our families. Despite that long term friendship he has not been willing to give me many of tips about the music business and equipment as I have got here from members.

I've met some good people that I've have had personal contact with as well. Tony Mads being one of them, he lives just down the road about 10 miles from where I live, it's unlikely I would have met him otherwise

Scott Yee who has been of great help with his tips and file sharing for my music pad pro. Gary Diamond for a couple of phone calls for his input on products I was interested in and Donny Pesce for some valuable tips.

I like the fact that very successful pros are very willing to share what they know.

I don't like some of the ball busting that goes on between folks. By nature I'm not a ball buster and as a former career sales rep I always strived to get along with everyone despite the fact I'm may have different views on matters.

#191454 - 12/04/06 02:52 PM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I love this forum...where else can you get such a wide range of views on keyboards of all brands.

What I don't like is the impoliteness of some members...being a critic doesn't give a person the right to be rude.

I think Nigel has tremendous patience, and I thank him for providing this great forum.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#191455 - 12/04/06 07:18 PM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
I like the fact that I can hang out here with pros and amateurs alike. (I'm an amateur, by the way)

I find the constant back-biting very annoying. It's a waste of my time to even read it.

The majority of the time, I have found this forum to be fun, enjoyable and informational - a welcome and anticipated (almost addictive) part of my everyday life.

One suggestion would be to add a closed "Keyboard Reviews" section where keyboard reviews by users and professionals would be listed.

Nigel, a huge THANK YOU for all you do. We love this place and thank you for your diligent work as moderator.

Best regards,
Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#191456 - 12/04/06 10:25 PM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
mr9000 Offline

i find a boatload of very good information on the zone..the help is quite ho hum in responding to ones questions(exception of travel'n easy,but usually found in another site anyway)..usually i can spot cyber trouble people a mile away,right away,this whole synthzone is very friendly compared to the masses of whats availably out here...If any want to witness/expeierence crappy attitudes,go to the gas station,young attitudes rampant!

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 12-04-2006).]

#191457 - 12/05/06 03:27 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
Booby Offline

Hi,

like any forum it's a good place to share opinions, so everytime there is something to learn, no question.
Any comment, note, whatever both from a pro, advanced, intermediate, beginner, ...deaf ...:-) it's nice to hear.

What I dislike are some too extreme positions regarding opinions, comments (see last topics around) or brands: anybody has to respect much more each other IMHO.

Just my thought.

Best regards.

#191458 - 12/05/06 07:23 PM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
As Gus Kahn wrote ".... with all your faults, I love you still ..."
I LOVE THIS PLACE !!!

t.

#191459 - 12/05/06 07:57 PM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
Rejected Idol Offline

Loc: St Paul, MN
Hi Folks – for what my 2 cents may (or may not) be worth, here are my thoughts:

- I have frequented this board for about 5 years, during which time I have gone from a novice clavinova hobbyist to a gigging keyboard guy (via PSR-1000/3000 and now Tyros 2)
- Without the SZ, I would have made some serious mistakes, had a lot of “hard knocks” lessons, and probably would not be half as far along as I am in my “new profession”
- And yes, Scott Yee has been a very valuable resource to me. Sure, I have to smile sometimes at his posts and his (over) enthusiasm regarding his toys. But it should be obvious that he truly loves music.
- Regarding the latest contention on here, in my opinion, when someone knowingly, intentionally, and purposefully attacks and offends others on a public forum, a public apology should be in order – otherwise we are condoning bad behavior by letting it go unchecked. If an apology isn’t offered, then the offenders should be banned.
- Nigel and his team have done a super job of keeping things in check. I WILL say thanks for running a great board which has been a terrific source of information, education, and inspiration.

[This message has been edited by Rejected Idol (edited 12-05-2006).]

#191460 - 12/05/06 10:54 PM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
KN_Fan Offline

What I like about the forum:

-The fact that everybody (at least a while ago) like each other enough and really took it to another level by having the Synthzone jam. While I wasn't there to join you guys, judging by the picture I thought everybody had a great time. I've read a couple other posts where one member would actually stop by at another member's place and had dinner with the whole family and went to the gig together. I thought it was awesome.

-The fact that synthzone is a place filled with great arranger info...of all brands.

-The fact that synthzone is full of experts who know their arrangers of all brands.

Things that we could live without (not necessarily I dislike):

1. Just like with other forums on the Net...there will be times one or two people (I'm not talking about Scott or Fran btw) may ruin it for everybody else..remember the thing with aloneandforsaken (If I'm not mistaken), just really rude and kept pushing about the video of 11 year old organist? During those times I wished the moderators would be more stern as it was clear that he/she was creating some problems attacking others in the forum. This is not to say that the mods have not been doing a great job though, but I suspect synthzone has grown a lot from the past few years and with the extra exposure you'd have more people (good and bad)who join the forum.

-Netiquette: I was taught to think about what I type..would I be saying it to the person if he/she were in front of me? If the answer is no, then I have to re-write it.

-Jokes: What is funny to one person may not be funny to the other person, especially when you haven't established a good rappor(sp?) with the other person. Also continous joke or 'friendly jabbing' can get old. It's always more painful for the recipient rather than the offender.

-Personal pride: Yamaha,Korg,Technics,Roland all have weaknesses and strengths that's why most of them still have presence at the music stores in your town...a $10,000 keyboard can sound like a $150 Casio in the hands of a 'bad' musician and vice versa. I like Technics' composer feature a lot, but I wouldn't knock down somebody else's decision for owning a Yamaha.

-Comments: We need to separate between 'honesty' and 'civility'. I moderated a different forum before and there was this member who continually said rude stuff and inserting all the curse words and said "Hey, I tell it the way it is and I'm being honest". She got away with it many times until I got tired and resigned. If we have to offer a critic about a particular song, please be specific and technical..please stay away from words like "sucks" "ugly" "annoying" or similar words.

My .02 cents....nothing that hasn't been said before.

#191461 - 12/05/06 11:07 PM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Hey thanks so much to you all. You guys and gals is what makes keeping Synth Zone going so worthwhile. I just wish everyone was as understanding.

Synth Zone isn't going anywhere. We'll get over this bump and move on the same as we always have. Let's get back to playing music cos that's what it's all about.

#191462 - 12/06/06 01:22 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kla4:
[B]AJ,
In my view there is NOTHING wrong with this SZ forum environment. Nigel does a great job.

What IS wrong :
Some members being unpolite, keep slamming, have no respect towards other people, think themselves to be superiour because their PRO-status.
Just like Scott, I used to be a long time member and liked this board very much because of all the nice members, always willing to help eachother.

Now I'm leaving forgood and it's not because of the forum or it's moderator !!

AJ, please don't leave for good, you'll just add to what to the people you are not happy with have done. Be above that kind of thing and help us make this forum better than it has ever been.

John C.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online