SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#191443 - 12/02/06 10:44 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have been a Synthzone member for years, although mostly on the Technics Forum for obvious reasons.

I have,however,posted on this forum quite a few times, and read it daily. I have always gotten help from Gary,Esh,Scott,dnj,Fran, and others.

I think that the offenders seem to like to put down one another, but not necessarily members out of their circle.

I say if I am not affected, who cares.

#191444 - 12/02/06 10:46 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
While there are several very good forums around that attract musicians, none give me the same feeling as this one. To me, it is like sitting in a coffee shop that caters to people who share a common interest in arrangers and entertaining. I like that.

We have an administrator who keeps an eye on things and is (as Fox News would say) fair and balanced.

It is a place where we can, if we are so inclined, get to know some of these people on a personal level, through phone calls, or meeting in person. I like that.

It is a place where all of us get the benefit of learning the tips and tricks of our keyboards from one another...pros and hobbyists alike. I like that

Here, we share our experiences in the music/entertainment business and have a few laughs. I like that.

I really prefer this kind of forum to other more advanced, technical types of communication such as Skype or CamFrog.

This is a place where we don't have disruptive kids popping in and cluttering up the board with garbage. I like that.

I'm not opposed to egos, but I have always felt entertainers who are always "thumping their own chests" generally come off as wind bags.

I have sought and received help on a number of arranger related issues that I wouldn't know where else to go for such information. I really like that.

I have tried to reciprocate and help others who could benefit from my knowledge. I like that.

While I have many local musician friends in my market area, we tend not to be as open with one another..or as helpful..as the many I have met on the Zone. SynthZoners generally don't compete with one another and that creates a very comfortable atmosphere. I like that.

There are members here who I have come to admire greatly...and others whose posts I just elect not to read anymore.

Any other things that bother me or those I don't care for have already been covered.

Eddie

#191445 - 12/04/06 05:36 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
I like SZ for the upbeat exchange of information and opinions and the sincere give and take among pros and hobbyists all over the planet who are all real enthusiasts at heart and want to share that enthusiasm. It's special!

As far as the needling and sensitivity, etc..I couldn't care less except it takes away others' time and energy and good people leave or get barred from the site because of it, and others leave in disgust, and more important topics are left to flounder because of the controversy. I have been needled myself and I either ignore or needle back,
however the mood strikes me. To openly complain about how somebody treated me would never occur to me. I think if I were the moderator I would just remove all the replies that had the needler/complainee going at it, and tell them to take it up privately, not on the forum. seems like an easy solution to me, don't understand why you see
it as having to bar people or let stupid arguments flower,
and then everyone else gets involved one way or another.

Here are some things that bug me and waste my time:
-clueless subject lines. should be barred by moderator.
rule should be to have subject line that is specific or else!

- I became a grandpa, it was nice meeting you and Ethel, go Patriots, how about da Bears? hey good for you pal, go to the bar, let someone buy you a drink. i'm here to talk arrangers, music, sound, performers..send a personal email, ok, keep it out of the forum.

-guys looking for love in all the wrong places: there are
millions of selections i could listen to if i had the time, why should i spend one minute listening to your recording
(the truth is that a compliment is what you are after, aren't you?) and then if i do comment, i have
to be diplomatic and not hurt your feelings? Phooey! we are not your music teacher, we don't have to be nice. If we
wasted our time listening and didn't like it we are pissed off, because we all are passionate about music and have strong opinions,that's what keeps us going. you wanna post clips? if you are sincerely looking for feedback to learn from, then absorb it all, constructive or not. the constructive critic can be dead wrong and the rude one right..you have to have a personal compass to go beyond.

Of course, we should all strive to be gentlemen.
the classic definition of which is:

" a person who can play the accordian but does not"

------------------
Miami Mo

#191446 - 12/04/06 05:49 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
Of course, we should all strive to be gentlemen.
the classic definition of which is:

" a person who can play the accordian but does not"

As an accordion player, I find that comment offensive ... ....

And the correct spelling is 'accordion ....
thnx,
t.

#191447 - 12/04/06 05:59 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
For the newcomers: a little off topic among friends is always going to sneak into the discussions. We find ourselves drawn to a certain section of teh zone, and that's where we choose to post. The idea is that we CHOOSE to post, the same way as you may CHOOSE to read.

We all have knowledge to share, and occasionally, a little personal chit-chat will sneak into our postings. Just like in EVERY other conversation in every other walk of life.

What I like about this site is the way it is run. Nigel is a top notch moderator and a fair seargent at arms, when he needs to be. The discussions get heated up from time to time, but so do Mackie 450s, and many people still love them! Go figure.

Don't change a hair for me, Nigel ... I love this place !
( and a special "hey" to you too, AJ ! )

#191448 - 12/04/06 07:10 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
keysvocalssax Offline

I apologize for the misspelling of accordion, but not for
my use of humor. There are jokes galore re trombonists, drummers, girl singers, etc..don't take it personally. I know there are a lot of accordionists on SZ,
and thought they might get a chuckle out of that line.
can't remember who first wrote it..some famous musician.

i'm glad you opened the subject of spelling, because I was reprimanded early on by a moderator for correcting someone's spelling on SZ, so I haven't touched that since.
I have no problem being corrected, in fact I appreciate it.
I don't want to continue to misspell accordion with "an."
So here's a couple for some who make these common errors, and might appreciate the correction. For those that don't, please don't start crying about that English is not your first language or what's the difference if people know what you mean. Nobody's criticizing you, just making a correction so you can do it correctly next time if you so choose. Learn the difference between to and too. It's really whack to see all the "to much", 'to big" etc. When something is too tight, you make it loose . when you can't find something, you didn't "loose it", and don't call someone a "looser' or say you can't "loose" with x keyboard. And above all, there is no such thing as a "Congo" drum unless you are talking about a drum you got in the Congo region.
It's a conga, pronounced "cone'-gah"

------------------
Miami Mo

#191449 - 12/04/06 07:10 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
keysvocalssax Offline

my use of humor. There are jokes galore re trombonists, drummers, girl singers, etc..don't take it personally. I know there are a lot of accordionists on SZ,

i'm glad you opened the subject of spelling, because I was reprimanded early on by a moderator for correcting someone's spelling on SZ, so I haven't touched that since.
I have no problem being corrected, in fact I appreciate it.
I don't want to continue to misspell accordion with "an."
So here's a couple for some who make these common errors, and might appreciate the correction. For those that don't, please don't start crying about that English is not your first language or what's the difference if people know what you mean. Nobody's criticizing you, just making a correction so you can do it correctly next time if you so choose. Learn the difference between to and too. It's really whack to see all the "to much", 'to big" etc. When something is too tight, you make it loose . when you can't find something, you didn't "loose it", and don't call someone a "looser' or say you can't "loose" with x keyboard. And above all, there is no such thing as a "Congo" drum unless you are talking about a drum you got in the Congo region.
It's a conga, pronounced "cone'-gah"

------------------
Miami Mo

#191450 - 12/04/06 07:58 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I agree with Uncle Dave and for the most part I make the choice not to read overly disparaging, derisive posts. I have gotten some helpful tips from this site and I also enjoy some of the banter unrelated to technical issues.
I make my living playing music, mostly playing the accordion. I’ve heard all the accordion jokes, I’m not offended, just bored with them. If I heard a new, FUNNY accordion joke, I would probably laugh and use it, or change it and retell it as a clarinet or banjo gag.
Ciao,
Jerry

#191451 - 12/04/06 09:07 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
I like the fact that there is a lot of music and life related information to be had from this forum.

I dislike the thin skin attitudes of some people who don’t seem to realize that communication is a two way street and unpredictable.

I dislike the arrogance, egoistical, I have been here longer than you – I am better than you – my keyboard is better than you posts.

I dislike the illogical posts that say if you haven’t posted your work, you don’t have any right to critique me.

I agree with genesys and once again I find myself agreeing with Uncle Dave

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 12-04-2006).]

#191452 - 12/04/06 11:38 AM Re: What do you like & dislike about the Synthzone forum?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:

t.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online