SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#19733 - 02/28/00 09:54 PM Triton vs. ???
Lenny Offline

I just posted this same message over at the Synth board so sorry if this is redundant...

I'm shopping for my first synth right now. The way I see it, I could get a Yamaha Cs2x as a controller for analogue sounds (as well as those twisty knobs) and an MPC2000or something for all other sounds. I know neither has the greatest presets, but I figure between the two, it should get me started, and I can always get a module down the road. I'm running Cubase on my G3 tower, so I've got that base covered.

My questions are:
1. Will I be able to map samples across the Yamaha, and will I able to tweak envelopes and filters and stuff directly on that board, or will I have to do all that from the sampler?
2. I've heard that the Cs1x isn't doesn't even have a synth engine and that it's based on analogue samples. Is this true for the Cs2X as well?
3. Should I just screw it and get a Triton? I thought "no" at first since I didn't need the sequencer but it seems to have everything else I need at about the same price, maybe even less.

I must admit that I loved the Triton when I demo'ed it. Maybe a better question would be, is there any reason why I SHOULDN'T just get it? I know it's all a matter of taste--I'm just looking for some opinions. Thanks for helping a beginner out.

#19734 - 02/29/00 06:31 AM Re: Triton vs. ???
Inray Offline

Loc: GREECE
If you really want Triton then don't listen anyone's opinion, even mine.
I own one (2 months) but i found it not as great as it sounds. Pure synth engine, compared with Rolands and Yahamas S&S, limited filtering (without resonance), no SYSEX, excellent effect routing and algorithms, RAM based samples (no flash), limited sampler. It has many PROS and CONS. And it is not cheap.

By the way CS2x is not analog synth. It has the knobs but the engine is a pure sample based one. Take a look on new Yamahas S80/S30/CS6x. In these new synths you can plugin extra synth boards (PLG) with more polyphony each one and new synth engines. One of these boards is PLG-150-AN witch is a pure ANx like analog synthesis board (like Korgs MOSS) with computer based full editing and great sounds. It's multitibral and has its own insertion FXs. You can also usu a plugin DX-like FM synthesis for vintage sounds.

So think again...

#19735 - 02/29/00 09:34 AM Re: Triton vs. ???
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi Lenny,

I'm not a fan of Yamaha boards so I'm not really going to comment on those, especially since I've never owned one.

My suggestion to you is to think about what it is you want to do with the synth and what kind of music you want to do with it. That should help lead you on the way to getting the right synth.

The Triton is a great sounding synth. However, all of the sample-playback synths are limited to a certain extent. The Triton at least can be expanded and can act like a sampler. I agree with Inray that it's synthesizer is limited. However, that doesn't mean it is not capable of powerful sounds. It *does* however support sysex. The Korg sequencers do not support sysex and that is probably where Inray is confused. The Triton support sysex dumps to and from an external sequencer.

One route you may want to take is to go with one of the analog-modelling synths like an Access Virus and then go with a Roland JV-1010 for some of your bread and butter sounds. They are quite inexpensive. If you want a sampler (which is great for drum sounds), you can maybe pick up a used Akai S2000 or something similar. This route may be slightly more expensive than a single Triton but probably not by much. You may be able to get these units used too which helps cut down the cost as well as gives you some good sounding gear.

Unless you want to use the MPC2000 for a sequencer too (you already have Cubase though), the MPC is not the best sampler around. It is strictly for drums. You cannot map, for example, piano samples across 88 keys. You can assign samples (up to a maximum of 3) to its pads (16 x 4 or 64 separate notes).

The only thing that I will add here is, it is not a matter of what you own but the music you make. True, with lousy sounds, you won't go too far but simply owning the latest, greatest and most expensive kit won't give you that #1 hit.

HTH
Fernando

#19736 - 03/03/00 04:48 AM Re: Triton vs. ???
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
Both of the above posts mention very valid points!

USE YOUR EARS- I'll repeat myself again- USE YOUR EARS! The Triton's filters might not be the most powerful on the planet but listen to how great this board sounds (even with only up to 2 oscilators per program as opposed to some of the competition that require 3 or even 4 oscillators to get the same sort of sound!). The effects are the most flexible around and the sampler will soon be upgraded with some major new features. You can even use this board as a great multi effects unit for your other gear!

Every synthe has it's pros and cons. Roland JV stuff is great also and I must say that they have a more powerful synthesis section than the Triton (so does a Kurzweil!) but it all comes down to what sounds good to you and what the synthe will do to improve your music even further.

The Triton has definetly improved my music making to the point that I often only use just this one board (with it's onboard sequencer!) to make music- that's really saying something!!!! Cheers.

#19737 - 03/05/00 05:53 PM Re: Triton vs. ???
Lenny Offline

Thanks for the replies, guys (and/or gals). After much consideration, I'm leaning away from the Triton. This post now has more to do with general set-up so you can ignore it if you like. Anyway, I'll post it on the general discussion board as well.

What I really want is to be able to record real-time tweaking of my own samples into Cubase. Is this possible? Will I be able to map any sample across a whole board and play melodies and build chords? Will I be able to control delay, filters, envelopes, reverb, and such? I assume knobs is the way to go, and it would be nice if they were MIDI compatible. I plan to make experimental techno/trip-hop kind of stuff, and it'll be fairly minimalist so I'm hoping limited polyphany won't be too much of a problem. But just in case, is there a general way around this? Would an extra sound module help at all?

The Nord Lead sounds nice but the lack of onboard effects is a bit of a bummer, and the Roland JP8000 and JX305 had a little too much of that "zipper" effect for my tastes. Does Korg still make the Wavestation and Prohecy? How do they compare to the Z1? What's the dif between the Yamaha CS6x and the AN1x? Is it just that the CS6x has a sampler and the AN1x has a sequencer, or do they have different engines altogether? Any opinions on the Virus or the various Waldorfs? Once again, thanks for helping a novice out.

Lenny

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online