SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#19756 - 08/23/00 07:10 PM Is it my imagination????
larry Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
So I'm here goiung through the vast collection of sounds from my new Triton but,
can it be? There is no substance to the sounds! What I mean is, everything sounds great and all but, I find the sounds very thin! I just recently got it so I haven't been able to dabble with the sampler yet so can anyone tell me if a sampled sound ( a thick one) will lose it's thickness after the transfer.
Also, just finished reading the specs on the rack version. I'm probably going to trade in for the rack. Can anyone see a reason not to?

larry

#19757 - 08/24/00 01:08 PM Re: Is it my imagination????
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hi Larry,

Okay, you find it sounds thin. What makes you think that the rack is going to sound any thicker? While it may a little, it won't be drastically different.

Here is my take on the Triton and the Trinity (which I own). The programs, on their own, sound great but a little on the thin side at times. However, when put into a mix (like a sequence), they sound great because each has its own space. I find it is best to combine some sounds from the Trinity with a JV-2080 or something similar. While the JV doesn't have the impact sounds, it has some good sounds and is much warmer. The punch and clarity of the Trinity offset by the warmth and thickness of the JV-2080 make a great combination IMHO.

Now, getting back to your question. If you are getting the rack for more expansion slots or because you don't need the keyboard, then that's fine. However, the same things you question now will still be in question after the rack. If you don't like the sound, I would suggest getting something else instead.

HTH,
Fernando

p.s. - also try combi mode sounds. They can really be quite powerful and thick if you want them to.

#19758 - 08/24/00 03:37 PM Re: Is it my imagination????
Arvon45 Offline

Loc: USA
Hey LArry-

I find that the Triton sounds very fat compared to most synths.

Try some of the electric guitar distortion patches.

The Triton has a lot of bass and punch in its sounds. This is very apparent when run through a regular stereo system. In fact, people work hard to get a mix to sound THINNER when coming from a Triton.

Beleive it or not. Record your Triton sounds onto a cd and play them back through a stereo source.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online