SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#199221 - 10/06/06 07:23 PM Soft-synth Q's
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello All,
Some time ago there was a discussion about soft-synths that, as an old timer, went over my head. I’ve seen and heard many musicians using a laptop with midi and/or mp3 sequences as accompaniment. Is there software available that can serve as interactive arrangers for live performance much like an arranger module/controller ensemble? If there is such an animal, does anyone use it for gigging? And, can one convert styles from other arrangers for use in a soft-synth rig?
Ciao,
Jerry

#199222 - 10/06/06 11:54 PM Re: Soft-synth Q's
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Jerry
This would probably be better posted in the Software Arranger Forum on the Synth Zone, but hopefully the following will get you started.
OMB will get you started http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm as this is a software arranger, (A Demo version can be downloaded so that you can try before you buy) it will use the sound card in your computer, so the quality of sound will be determined by this, however when you are familiar with its operation it can be setup to use other software instruments. (VSTs etc)
OMB also has the advantage in that it will play Yamaha styles, so you will have plenty to be going on with.
I have deliberately not mentioned any style converters or software instruments, as to try and do everything from the off can be very confusing, so post again when you are familiar with the use of OMB.
If you have the money, have a look at Wersi’s OAS range of instruments http://www.wersimusic.com/organsx.htm and http://www.wersi.net/ (You can use Babel Fish to translate http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/translate.dyn )as these incorporate everything in one box, and operate exactly like any other arranger keyboard, but have the advantage of being able to use Akai samples and VSTs, and like all computers and software, are easily upgraded.
Hope this helps and post again if you need any further help.

Bill

#199223 - 10/07/06 05:04 AM Re: Soft-synth Q's
Smokey Offline

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hello Jerry
OMB will get you started http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm as this is a software arranger, (A Demo version can be downloaded so that you can try before you buy) it will use the sound card in your computer, so the quality of sound will be determined by this, however when you are familiar with its operation it can be setup to use other software instruments. (VSTs etc)

Bill

abacus
What is the advantage of running a VST like B4 through OMB? I too am trying to understand soft synths.
Smokey

#199224 - 10/07/06 05:49 AM Re: Soft-synth Q's
abacus Offline

Hello Smokey
VSTs (Of which the B4 is one) are basically software equivalents of hardware expanders that you connected to your instrument via midi, and which allowed you to use sounds that were not available on your own instrument.
Now because these expanders are now done in software, it makes them a lot easier and more flexible to use (Less cabling. Big Screen) then the old hardware versions.
Let’s look at a couple of VSTs
B4. As you may know there is no substitute for a genuine Hammond B3 and Leslie speaker system, (Although modern keyboards do have extremely good samples) however very few people can afford or have the room for one, but if you use the B4 VST, you have a layout on screen that is identical to the original instrument and operates like the original instrument, it also features a software sound system that gets mightily close to the real thing, the combination of the above 2 items means that to all intents and purposes you have a B3 organ available to you, that you can play using your own instrument.
Kontakt 2. Instruments these days mainly use samples of the real instruments, however the more samples you make of the instrument (For instance sample 25 different levels of each note on a piano instead of just 3) the more accurate the sound becomes, unfortunately more samples means more memory is required, (and hardware keyboards have a very limited amount) Kontakt 2 (And others) provide a means to play large samples (Using a computer) which would be impractical to incorporate in a hardware keyboard, thus they give you a truly astonishing sound quality and accuracy.
I hope the above makes things clearer, however if you are still not sure about anything, then post again and I will try to help.

Bill

#199225 - 10/07/06 06:11 AM Re: Soft-synth Q's
Smokey Offline

Quote:
Hello Smokey
VSTs (Of which the B4 is one) are basically software equivalents of hardware expanders that you connected to your instrument via midi, and which allowed you to use sounds that were not available on your own instrument.
Now because these expanders are now done in software, it makes them a lot easier and more flexible to use (Less cabling. Big Screen) then the old hardware versions.
Let’s look at a couple of VSTs
B4. As you may know there is no substitute for a genuine Hammond B3 and Leslie speaker system, (Although modern keyboards do have extremely good samples) however very few people can afford or have the room for one, but if you use the B4 VST, you have a layout on screen that is identical to the original instrument and operates like the original instrument, it also features a software sound system that gets mightily close to the real thing, the combination of the above 2 items means that to all intents and purposes you have a B3 organ available to you, that you can play using your own instrument.
Kontakt 2. Instruments these days mainly use samples of the real instruments, however the more samples you make of the instrument (For instance sample 25 different levels of each note on a piano instead of just 3) the more accurate the sound becomes, unfortunately more samples means more memory is required, (and hardware keyboards have a very limited amount) Kontakt 2 (And others) provide a means to play large samples (Using a computer) which would be impractical to incorporate in a hardware keyboard, thus they give you a truly astonishing sound quality and accuracy.
I hope the above makes things clearer, however if you are still not sure about anything, then post again and I will try to help.

Bill

I now use B4 as a standalone with a controller board. What would I gain by running it as a VST through OMB?
Smokey

#199226 - 10/07/06 06:30 AM Re: Soft-synth Q's
abacus Offline

Hello Smokey
You would be able to use the instrument on different manuals and styles, however unless you are using more then 1 instrument then the gains will be negligible.
When you add others however, you will need a VST Host to play them all at the same time, and so they have to be loaded as a VST. (You can only run 1 standalone instrument at a time)
Hope this helps

Bill

#199227 - 10/07/06 06:39 AM Re: Soft-synth Q's
Smokey Offline

Quote:
Hello Smokey
You would be able to use the instrument on different manuals and styles, however unless you are using more then 1 instrument then the gains will be negligible.
When you add others however, you will need a VST Host to play them all at the same time, and so they have to be loaded as a VST. (You can only run 1 standalone instrument at a time)
Hope this helps

Bill

abacus
Thanks for your input. I have to go to work
now. I will resume on the softsynth forum later. Again thanks for your help, smokey

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online