SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#20033 - 01/15/01 10:21 PM Re: To Triton or not
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the Orchestrial Module for my Roland JV-80 and the strings on that board are pretty intense esp the Ominous Strings. Even better is when I mix my X5 and JV-80 strings together, I get a thunderous string sound.

Trinton's strings sounds very interseting, you can never have enough great string tones

The problem about going to Guitar Center to check out the differences between the Emu and the Triton is that I'm a Sampling fool, in other words I never used one. Heck just 2 months ago I was a Midiot, now I think I can handle Midi pretty well. In 15 years of playing I never got into Midi or sampling.

[This message has been edited by EdB (edited 01-16-2001).]

#20034 - 01/18/01 04:40 PM Re: To Triton or not
Samplecity Offline

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I dunno I have the XP30. The triton falls short on the strings, definitely the pianos. Another thing the timpani on the Roland is alot better.

#20035 - 01/19/01 03:24 AM Re: To Triton or not
Arvon45 Offline

Loc: USA
The Triton falls short on the strings?

No way. Especially when your talking movie strings.

I have heard alot of synths, and Triton strings are the best to me.

#20036 - 01/27/01 05:49 AM Re: To Triton or not
chewbakka Offline

can you connect a controller keyboard to the regular version of the Triton?

#20037 - 01/27/01 05:56 PM Re: To Triton or not
Arvon45 Offline

yeah, you can connect them.

#20038 - 02/09/01 10:03 AM Re: To Triton or not
digiboy Offline

Hmmm.

I own an Emu 6400. This was after months of looking at Kurweil, Triton, EX5 and XV88.

Why the Emu? Its probably the best all around sampler today. It also kicks the living crap out of the others for brass, strings, piano and other "authentic" instruments.

I felt the Triton still sounded hollow and synthy in comparison to the Emu...and while a lot of bands use the Triton as part of their arsenal - advertisements and film scores are done with samplers...because there aren't a lot of cymbals and drum kicks to mask some of the weaknesses.

As far as the PC88...what is that going to serve? Is it basically a MIDI controller? That's a wad of cash to drop on a MIDI controller - especially when you can get a dedicated MC.

I'm betting you can get pretty close in price with:

Fatar Hammer Action controller (I have Oberheim MC3000 - and feel its a little superior to the Fatar, but harder to find in a store)
Emu 6400 - upgrade to 128 MB ram and get a large IDE hard disk (Advantage over the 5000 is its got better upgrade paths and comes with a load of decent samples)
Triton Rack - if you can afford it...and definitely the MOSS. This gives you great analog synth sounds.

#20039 - 02/10/01 03:19 AM Re: To Triton or not
knut Offline

>Hey all,
>I was given a shopping list from my band's >manager saying to get a Kurzwiel PC88 and a >Emu E4XT Ultra. We will be doing lots of >Orchestrial type stuff with the sampler for >our bands CD.

Clearly, your manager don`t have a clue. He`s probably impressed by the big names of kurzweil and emu. Ask him what samplers are used to make movie/television music? answer: the old roland s-760!

In my opinion, the pc88 is shit. Everything that the pc88 does is well covered with the triton. The emu sampler is a better sampler than the triton, with better soundware support, but this depends on your needs.

>The bottom line is this gear is being used >on our bands CD and it has to be the best >sounding but on the other hand I'm buying >the gear with my own $$.

So its your money, and you who play the gear, yet your manager "decides" what gear to get ??

>I myself am looking for good lead, organ, >piano, strings tones. The music is prog >metal / classical there is no need for >loops and or any DJ type stuff.

The triton have perhaps the best hammond simulations done in a synth (not even the e4xt can touch these). However, for really good hammond, you should get a Voce or Hammond-Suzuki rack/keyboard.

Triton have good lead sounds, esp with the moss board.

>Would sampled Piano tones be good enough to >use for a CD recording and everyday tone >useage?

All piano tones are sampled (except real pianos)

>Seeing that I dont need looping and all the >other stuff on most Samplers, are those >features a must for a newbie to samplers?

Thats the way samplers work

>Can I layer Samples on the Triton, if so >how many? Can this be done better on the >Emu?

The triton can layer upto 16 samples (combi mode) or 32samples(sequence mode).

>Should the Triton even be considered for >purchase vs a Kurz/Emu combo?

Yes, esp if you want lots of good sounds right out of the board without lots of programming and load-time.

It sounds to me as if you want the best sounds, but haven done very much programming/sampling before? I believe that the e4xt would be overkill for a newbie to sampling. The emu e-5000 offers the same basic fatures, the same sound, and loads the same soundlibraries at a much lower price.

Perhaps Triton + emu e-5000? If you have any extra buck to spare, throw in the pcm01 exp board (better pianos, hammond, rhodes, wurlitzer, hohner clavinet), exb-moss (analog synth, brass/wind/strings with some possibilities that no sampler has)

best regards
Knut Inge

btw, check out my triton site: http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~knutinh/tritonhardware/index.htm

#20040 - 02/12/01 12:46 PM Re: To Triton or not
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys for all the good points. Im still not completely sure on what I will get but you guys are giving me some good info.

Some people have been pushing the K2600 on me but I seriously doubt I will go that route, too much $$.

That Triton Emu sounds like a good combo and it may only cost a little more than a fully loaded Kurz.

#20041 - 02/13/01 09:47 AM Re: To Triton or not
Arvon45 Offline

And EDB if Korg releases resampling and proper layered AKAI reading in thethe next enxt update you wouldnt need the EMU.

#20042 - 02/27/01 10:07 PM Re: To Triton or not
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi folk ,i'm new to the neighbourhood.I'm a Triton owner myself,infact i have one of the only two on my island in the West Indies.......it's a monster.I love the warm big sounds,ease of use and must say,it's very user friendly......all for a deccent price.
Haven't had the chance to get any of the PCM cards in as yet,but i'm still waiting for the rumoured orchestral card (keyboard magazine 01-01).It's just super,i've done a bit of scoring with it already,and the producer loved it.........it's what you do with the gear,not how much you have.B.T.W......the strings are very good out of the box,not as many articulations as i may like,but then again...........it's called a synth right?

------------------
A Wuz here

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online