SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20143 - 06/01/03 01:32 PM George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Sherwood Offline

I hope you are checking by here occasionally, George. I sure need help.

I record the K2600 digital output into a ProTools HD system.

I am working on a song in which the piano chords are hit with fairly good velocity and then held for several beats, then repeated. I am hearing something like a bee buzzing, or crickets humming, which kicks in maybe a second after the chord (or note) is hit. It is loudest when it first kicks in, and then it oscillates (like a decaying sine wave) in volume and dies out as the note dies out. It
seems to lay on top of the sustain of the note.

I am sequencing in ProTools, but I hear the same thing if I play the keyboard. I hear this not only with chords. I can hear it when I strike a single note and hold it. The intensity varies. It seems to be loudest when I hold a chord between C3 and C4, but it is there with any piano note or chord; just a matter of degree.

It is driving me crazy. At first I was looking around the studio trying to find the cricket!!

I thought maybe it would be lost in the mix, but it cuts through like a knife.

I usually use the K2600 for drum and bass tracks, then mic guitar and vocal tracks. So, this is my first time to pay much attention to the piano programs. I hear this on all the piano programs, to different
degrees. It is very evident to me on Programs 1 and 2. I have:

1. Pulled out the Sweetwater Grand Piano CD-ROM and tried some of these programs. I clearly hear it on these, also.

2. Switched off the reverb effects in KDFX on Program 1, for example, to see if this was the problem. No improvement.

2B. Gone into the MIDI track in ProTools and reduced the velocity of the notes, to see if the relatively high velocity was triggering this problem somehow. The problem remained, possibly at a somewhat diminished level...but clearly still there.

3. Tried a low pass filter in ProTools. It is not a high-frequency-only sound that can be filtered out this way....or at least I couldn't find the right filter.

4. Done a hard reset. No effect.

5. Called Kurzweil rep. He said no one had complained to him about this particular problem. He said I need to listen to another local K2600 to see if it is my K2600, or just something I have to live with when I use the piano programs. This wasn't much help.

Since I am only hearing this with piano programs, it is hard to believe that there is a problem with my K2600. On the other hand, if these are artifacts in the piano programs, I cannot believe there haven't been many complaints about this. I don't think I am that picky, and I hear this very clearly. And at 58 years of age, my ears
don't qualify as super sensitive!

I don't really have a good alternative to the K2600 for piano tracks. I don't use them a lot, but I certainly want to have this option available to me.

Are there particular problems with artifacts in the piano programs? Is there a solution? I CAN'T be the only one hearing this.

Thanks,
Mike

#20144 - 06/01/03 10:46 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Maybe a distorted peak at the initial strike of the keys? Digital systems are 100% INtolerant to distortion. Older analog users know how to "warm up" a track by adding controlled distortion, but in the digital domain ..... there is NO SUCH THING. Distortion is always bad.

maybe the input signal is too strong, and you are compressing a spike? are you using the lite version of ProTools that comes bundled up for 6 or 7 hundred bucks? I have heard nothing but horror stories about those systems. A full blown, high end ProTools system is a joy to work with, but the baby version has too much fat trimmed off. Maybe the system is to blame.

#20145 - 06/02/03 12:58 AM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Sherwood Offline

John,
I can hear it when I play the K2600 using the analog outs. They go direct to a Studio Technologies surround controller, which controls the surround speakers. The controller is 100% analog, so there is no conversion in the controller. Thus, it is not a digital issue.
Sorry I wasn't clear on this in the first post.
Mike

#20146 - 06/02/03 12:59 AM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Sherwood Offline

Uncle Dave,
Sorry, I meant to say Dave, not John. It is 1 AM and I'm a little tired.
Mike

#20147 - 06/02/03 06:58 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Mike,
Could it be built into the sample itself? Or a noisy effect maybe? Overcompressed? Puzzling, huh?

#20148 - 06/02/03 07:10 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Sherwood Offline

Dave,
Have you listened for it on Program 1?

I took the effects out of service, so it is not KDFX.

Mike

#20149 - 06/16/03 08:37 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Is this sound happening on any sound, or just with the piano? If it is every sound, I might suspect that a SIMMS may have gone bad.

#20150 - 06/16/03 10:15 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Sherwood Offline

The buzzing is clearly in the piano programs themselves. There is a good thread at the Yahoo K2600 User Group in which Stoph describes how he modified Piano Program 1 to eliminate most of the problem. Specifically, see post 1751 (and the rest of the thread): http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kurzweil-K2600/message/1751

Subsequently he was also able to greatly reduce the problem in a Sweetwater Grand Piano program.

I am absolutely amazed that this hasn't been a big issue with users of the piano programs. The buzzing is very evident if you listen for it. Several K2600 User Group members agreed they had noticed it, but they have simply lived with it. Kurzweil and Sweetwater need to modify their programs to reduce the problem, using Stoph's approach. Stoph did it relatively quickly (though he is experienced at modifying the programs). However, I have had no luck getting their attention.

Mike

#20151 - 06/18/03 02:47 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hello Mike,

I don't have this at all.
I tried to emulate this bee buzzing even by hitting continously full chords and exessive sustain , there's no way I can emulate this.
So it must be your K2600.

Maybe?
There could be some dust on the contacts of your keyboard as the first sounds where you will notice this are the piano sounds.

If you send me a test midi with the bee buzz in it, I could test it and record it for you on my K2600 and send you an mp3 to compare the difference.

Fred

#20152 - 06/18/03 05:20 PM Re: George, help! Bee buzzes after piano notes/chords
Sherwood Offline

Fred,
If you go to the referenced thread, you'll see that a number of people have heard this. Strike a note solidly in Program 1 in the C3-C4 range and hold it. Because of the looping, it kicks in strongly in 1+ seconds and then very slowly decays.

I don't know what to say if you can't hear it. Maybe you are just not sensitive to these particular frequencies.

If you are interested, I suggest you go to the K2600 User Group (link above) and go through Stoph's step-by-step changes. Stoph was the only person who really put in some effort to solve the problem, and he did a terrific job. Then, compare this to the original Program 1. There is a very clear difference.

Thanks,
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online