SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#201672 - 12/18/04 06:57 AM Battery power for gigs
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Anyone know of a rechargeable battery setup that would power my Logitech z2200 system for guitar/vocal. Like for busking at farmer's markets or anywhere people are gathered. Just a guy and guitar. Well, and a mic.

Carvin makes a Stagemate deal that's a battery powered speaker system, which is an option. It's $400. Maybe there's a rechargeable battery gizmo for less that would work?

And if you have any knowledge if it would work with a keyboard...

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 12-18-2004).]

#201673 - 12/18/04 07:29 AM Re: Battery power for gigs
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Crate has a model that is perfect for this..it has a low impedance input with it's own effects and 2 other channels ..all with EQ..

#201674 - 12/18/04 07:34 AM Re: Battery power for gigs
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I have heard of people using marine batteries and 110-volt invertors to do gigs with... you can find those at WalMart. However it's been my experience that with a little scouting such things are often unnecessary. AC power is often available in places you wouldn't expect - you just have to find it and be good at routing extension cords. Farmer's markets all have power outlets if they have lights... even public parks usually have hidden outlets. If you really have to go for a primitive location, maybe you should get a little Honda generator.

#201675 - 12/18/04 07:42 AM Re: Battery power for gigs
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The Pro is right. Most farmers markets and other outdoor venues have AC power available. And, if they do not, all you need is a DC/AC 110-volt inverter, which you can attach to any battery. Keep in mind, however, that it will take a fairly hefty battery to power a 200 watt system for any length of time. Most marine batteries range from 150 to 200 ampere hours, which would provide you with about three hours of performance time using the 2200 system.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#201676 - 12/18/04 07:43 AM Re: Battery power for gigs
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I use a 18.5 amp[4500 watts] inverter..it connects to my van's battery....This unit will power anything...You can use it without or with your engine[vehicle]running..

#201677 - 12/18/04 11:41 PM Re: Battery power for gigs
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I use a 18.5 amp[4500 watts] inverter..it connects to my van's battery....This unit will power anything...You can use it without or with your engine[vehicle]running..

Inverters are great for temporary power needs. But a true 4500 watt Inverter could possibly cost you thousands of dollars depending on make and model.

A much cheaper route is if you have a Costco Wholesale store in your vicinity, and you or someone you know has a Costco Member Card, they sometimes carry Inverters that are very reasonable for what you get. For instance; they have a 1200 watt 'peak' power Inverter at a Costco near me that sells for $89.00. That price is unheard of from just a few short years ago. They are coming down in price and Costco seems to have rock bottom prices on the ones they carry.

A 1200 watt 'peak' power Inverter will "easily" power your Logitech speakers, your Keyboard (if you have one ), your friends electric Guitar and Amp - if indeed he will be using an Amp, plus your Mic.

If you have 'powered' speakers such as the Yamaha MSP5's - (used as an example only) or some other small PA speaker set up - besides the Logitech speakers, it would most likely power them also.

What you do as Fran described is hook the Inverter up to your Cig lighter in your vehicle and start the engine if you must but you also can use it for quite awhile without starting the car if your car or truck battery is in good shape and fully charged.

You'll also need an extension cord that is heavy duty and made for running equipment or power tools and of course is for outdoor use. You can find them at Home Depot or your nearest Hardware store. You'll also probably need an AC 'power strip' where you can plug all your various power cords from your Gear into it.

Voila! You have your power, and you didn't break the bank in the process. Cool!

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-18-2004).]

#201678 - 12/19/04 12:31 AM Re: Battery power for gigs
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
stage mate with efx(now 380$) without efx(340$) is the best deal with no headaches.with fender passport (harder to carry,more time to set up)you still need 120$ bat pack.not worth it.
carvin(100w)-80$ more for ext speaker- has bat power(can install 2nd batt for 50$),4 ch,efx,aux in,all 2 band(except ac ch with 3 band eq) with efx level,speaker out etc.another thing -you can sit on it.no need to carry anything to sit in the park/beach.easy to carry and wt-32 Lbs.

for a acoustic /vocal OMB gigs in anywhere-there is no competition for that price.

#201679 - 12/20/04 06:57 AM Re: Battery power for gigs
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I use a little Pignose Hog 30 and a mix pad battery operated mixer. It weighs about 22 pounds and gives me 30 watts or so for 3-4- hours. It's not ideal, but woks well for small outdoor events.

#201680 - 12/20/04 07:22 AM Re: Battery power for gigs
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
I use batteries and inverter to power my house. I also took a road trip this summer and bought 2 deep-cycle marine batteries for the RV. I found that the cheap inverter I purchased worked fine for the trip. It worked better attached directly to the batteries than through the lighter plug. This was due to smaller wires used to go from the battery to the plug outlet that would not sufficiently carry the load.
The batteries are heavy but they can be charged as you drive. If it is sunny you can have a solar panel charging and supplying your electric needs. Go for a larger battery to lengthen the duration of use. Less than 100 for the battery at most RV stores and Sears, etc.
There is usually AC around as was said but in a pinch this should work for you.
- Brian

#201681 - 12/20/04 08:24 AM Re: Battery power for gigs
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Here is a question for those in the know?
I have been told that only an inverter that provides modified sine wave will work with these new sophisticated Arranger keyboards.
The older workstations would work ok with square wave.
Please comment on this if you have accurate imputes and thanks,
I have deepcycle batteries in the motorhome and will be making a 6000 mile plus trip to florida from San Jose in the motorhome this spring for the Synthzone Jam there. I would like to use the onboard power at times in the evenings rather then run that big 7.5K Generator just to operate a keyboard.
Thanks,
Bebop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online