SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#209025 - 02/14/07 05:36 PM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Dave,

I don't really know you, but I can truly appreciate where you are. I, like you, have been a professional musician for most of my life. It's the only thing I've really ever wanted to be. I did the 5 and 6 night a week thing for 4 and 5 hours a night for many years. As the business has changed, so has the way I do music. About 26 years ago I became a church music director, first in small churches and then in larger churches. I've really enjoyed that because I'm a church going sort of guy anyway and it made sense to get involved in music ministry. But my greatest pleasure has come in recent years and that is entertaining in senior type facilities. I've always had a natural connection with this age group, and in the last several years, as the night club business has changed, I now find myself with around 300 shows per year, plus my church job. And last year, I signed on with the local community college as music director of Senior Star Showcase, a performing arts group made up of seniors. I've never ever been happier with music than I am right now. Believe me, the right mix is out there for you. For those of us who have it in our blood, there's nothing else we can do. And this is not only a good thing, it is a great thing. Hang in there, my friend.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

[This message has been edited by Songman55 (edited 02-14-2007).]

#209026 - 02/14/07 06:39 PM Re: Weekend warriors ....
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Hi Dave,

For those of us who have it in our blood, there's nothing else we can do. And this is not only a good thing, it is a great thing. Hang in there, my friend.

Joe

Amen! I've also found my niche in the same market and glad that I still continue to do the only thing I really love.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#209027 - 02/15/07 04:49 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow,my snowy-day discourse has really taken a NEW course, huh? I hope no one thought I was complaining about my career modification. I am still, and always will be, a MUSICIAN. I have always shared my tricks of the trade with others, so now they pay me to share it everyday! Same job - different stage !

My school is very unique, and the woman that runs it has a vision for child care and teaching that I have never seen before. It's a step between the mainstream and the alternative schools. Most of our kids have ADD, OCD, or some other learning challange. Some of it's behavioral, but most of these teens are just a little "left out" in the masses. These are the kids that get bullied, or picked last for backetball teams. We have a chess team and a drama department, but no football or soccer.
On average, our kids are very artistic, and extremely bright. We have honors classes in all areas, advanced level language and math classes, and true scholars in all areas.
We have 7-12 grades, but most of the kids are high school age. The simplest way to explain our mission is this:

We engage the heart and the head BEFORE we teach the brain......and it works.

We have a 90% college rate, and VERY few dropouts during the year.
Many of the kids feel very privledged to be here (as they should), and they realize that going back into the mainstream presents many challenges that do not exist in our school. The biggest advantage is the class size - we have a 2 to 1 student to teacher ratio. Yup, you read it right. 2 to 1. Most of my classes are one on one, and the largest is 3 or 4 kids. It's relaxed, it's concentrated and very productive.
(heart and head BEFORE the brain ... try it at home !)

I'd love to go into it more, but we're moving this week, into a bigger building, so I have to get over there and pitch in....even though the kids are off - it's still a work day !

It's a great feeling that what I do is making a difference in a kid's future, instead of fueling the ruination of the home life of a bunch of drunks. That's an axagerated scenario, but after so many years in bars and clubs ... they begin to look more and more like a soap opera everyday.

#209028 - 02/15/07 05:02 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Wow,my snowy-day discourse has really It's a great feeling that what I do is making a difference in a kid's future, instead of fueling the ruination of the home life of a bunch of drunks. That's an axagerated scenario, but after so many years in bars and clubs ... they begin to look more and more like a soap opera everyday.

That's all fine and Rosy Dave but never knock the spoon that feeds so many musicians its part of life. In a big way the music we perform in Bars, Nursing homes, Retirement communities, private parties, etc heal a void in peoples lives big time ...just another age group...

Boy I need a Tequila after reading this

#209029 - 02/15/07 05:03 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Uncle Dave Offline

It always comes back to booze..........

#209030 - 02/15/07 05:06 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
We've got winners, we've got losers,
Chain smokers and boozers...
I love this bar - NOT!

I loved teaching for all the years I did it. I miss the teaching, but not being a teacher - it's not what it used to be (and I'm not blaming those still in the profession). Education is being run by everyone but the educators.

Have a good day.

#209031 - 02/15/07 05:07 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
never knock the spoon that feeds so many musicians

I neverr did! I just got tired of the routine. You know the drill, and I'm guessing you don't miss the bar crowds either, do you?
I never wanted to say ANYthing negative in this post - it was all about the DIFFERENCE in perception and teh changing of skills and techniques, due to reduced performances, and increased talking.

My love of entertainment has not wained. Far from it! I just see a better direction for me to follow the dream!
You know I love ya man, but bars and late nights ........well, not so much !

#209032 - 02/15/07 05:11 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Education is being run by everyone but the educators.

That's more true in the public schools. Ours is a private school, run by ONE person. She makes the rules. She enforses the rules, and while SOME of what you say does exist ..... alot of it is a mute point in our halls. This is a very different and very special place, and it absolutely HAS to be here. Many of our kids would be dead or in jail if they were back in the mainstream. We give them hope. It's our middle name !
New Hope Academy! The HOPE stands for:
High
On
Pursuing
Excellence
I love my job. I do !

#209033 - 02/15/07 05:11 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Dnj Offline

No problem Dave I wish ya mucho luck in all your endeavors & you know I'm there for ya....instilling music into the lives of anyone is always a good thing no matter how its done.....keep it going baby....& I'll see ya for breakfast asap....

carry on

#209034 - 02/15/07 05:14 AM Re: Weekend warriors ....
Uncle Dave Offline

I know, my friend. I know.
We're going in late today, but I'm making an omelette right now. No time for a CrackerBarrel run. Damn !

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online