SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209979 - 04/10/02 06:15 AM 9000 Pro/Tyros musings
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with this picture: I've been seriously shopping for a Yamaha 9000 Pro lately and will likely buy one of the ones that have been posted here for sale. In the course of shopping I contacted several national music stores like Sweetwater Sound and Mars Music and they tell me that they don't stock the 9KPro but will special order it. They say they haven't been selling, and Sweetwater told me it's a 4-6 week factory backorder currently because of cutbacks in production. No local music stores in my area have ever carried the 9KPro and never will they say because it's too expensive. Even the Keyboard Magazine review of Oct/2001 openly said the 9KPro was way too expensive, which couldn't have helped sales any. And lately there have been a number of them for sale used, which I didn't expect to see until the next generation of the 9kPro came out. Why are so many people selling their 9kPros if that's the best arranger keyboard Yamaha currently makes?

Now I've seen the discussions here about the new Yamaha Tyros due out this fall which supposedly will cost less than the 9KPro, albeit there only seems to be a 61-note model pictured so far (a 76-note version in late '03?), but that "Tyros" name worries me... didn't someone say that means "beginner"? So did Yamaha overestimate the market with the 9000 Pro and decide that maybe they should strip down that flagship and offer cheaper versions with less features as often happens... or shall we say, with more features that will appeal to less-than-pro customers like the Tyros' color display? Personally, I'd like to see it go with even more pro features like digital outputs for recording, but that doesn't appear to be part of the Tyros' specs. Is the concept of the pro arranger keyboard doomed? Just my rumblings but I would like to hear other thoughts on this...

#209980 - 04/10/02 09:47 AM Re: 9000 Pro/Tyros musings
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: Esh
I have the 9000 PRO & I'm very satisfied with it, I will admit I was disappointed with the voices when
I first got it, They were to mellow sounding for my ears.
I bought a 31 band EQ & run the KB through it, now all the voices sound great.

I still have a Technics KN5000 but I never play it anymore, I just keep it for a backup now.
Can't live without a keyboard !!!!!!!!!!

I guess I have pretty much given up on finding the perfect KB, because it's not going to happen.
When I read the post's about everybody's personal dream machine I just shake my head.

You would have to make a KB that had a sliding key bed for 61 - 76 or 88 key's.
17" color monitor, built in speaker's with 400 watt's output per channel that can be shut off,
heavy duty key's with adjustable action, floppy disk drive, mini disk recorder, CD burner, Smart Card,
At least 8 Gig hard drive, USB, serial, RCA, 1/4", mini plug, XLR, etc. connectors, 32-64 track sequencer
that every aspect can be changed in real time or other wise, style morphing, loop, copy, paste, send,
return, add, subtract, multiply, & divide, At least 14 aux. outputs programmable & wet or dry, 14 inputs,
32 switch programmable foot controller, pedal board, etc. etc. etc.
I know I'm missing a whole bunch of stuff that we need on this KB. & it should be made of the very best
quality material & weigh 20 lbs. or less.
And sell for $1000 - $1500 USD

Just my thought's (He He He)
Have a great day !!!!!!
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny
PS: Let it fly guys & gals I'm out of the way. I'm gone !!!!!!!!

#209981 - 04/10/02 10:06 AM Re: 9000 Pro/Tyros musings
technicsplayer Offline

I'll buy one of those... but only if its less than $500 and includes DVD

#209982 - 04/10/02 10:41 AM Re: 9000 Pro/Tyros musings
Maximo Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I agree with you dlstarry.
The KB of your dreams exist only in your dreams.
I pesonally give it up to find the right features in only one keyboard.
And plus I think that people makes music should own a KB for each one of the brand that makes it. I like a lot the Roland VA-7 and the Korg Karma and I will expand my studio with more gear from a different brand in the future. It is very expensive I know but making keyboard is a business, isn't it?
I wish that the guys in the Genesys(very ugly but interesting...)thread would understand that and stop talking about what GEM should included and what not in this new KB. I tryed to make a realistic conversation about it and they gave me hell back. Oh well!

Maximo

#209983 - 04/10/02 11:50 AM Re: 9000 Pro/Tyros musings
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Esh....I have recently bought a used 9000Pro and find it very good. I am playing it through Studio Monitors in my music room at home and the voicing is very good indeed. ( I still have the Roland EM2000 also).
The 9000Pro is ready available here in the UK and there does not appear to be a lack production. There appears to be a dislike for 76 key boards in the USA because the Roland VA76 is only recently become available, but has been selling in good numbers in the UK for over a year.

Graham UK

#209984 - 04/11/02 06:06 AM Re: 9000 Pro/Tyros musings
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Graham: thanks for your reply. I don't know what set off the "ultimate keyboard" thread with my post but oh well. I'm going through the angst of buying a new keyboard without ever playing it in the case of the 9000 Pro. Looks like I'll buy a used one here and hear it when it comes. I agree with your comments about the US market being behind European markets... whenever I do a search for info on the 9000 Pro, I inevitably wind up viewing British websites and reviews because there is more of them than US. Thanks again.

#209985 - 04/11/02 09:14 AM Re: 9000 Pro/Tyros musings
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Maximo:

I wish that the guys in the Genesys(very ugly but interesting...)thread would understand that and stop talking about what GEM should included and what not in this new KB. I tryed to make a realistic conversation about it and they gave me hell back. Oh well!

Maximo

Mr. Maximo,

I quit don't understand what's your point of all of this. what do you mean by making it realistic? please explain.

#209986 - 04/11/02 09:37 AM Re: 9000 Pro/Tyros musings
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Denny,
I practice a lot, of a morning, so it will have to have a coffee maker ("lets see I'm right handed",) on the right end of the board!
But anyway if it's cheap enough, I would buy it.
Since I bought the 2000 I'm pretty broke!
I could buy one, but I don't know it I could get it past my wife!!
Enjoying the 2000,
Nobby

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 04-11-2002).]

#209987 - 04/11/02 09:47 AM Re: 9000 Pro/Tyros musings
dlstarry Offline

HI: Esh
I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my poor humor, about the ultimate keyboard.
I was just saying there is no use in waiting for the ultimate KB because it won't happen.
I had to buy the 9000 PRO site unseen, & unheard also & I'm not sorry for buying it,
it is a great KB. This is just IMHO. Everybody has a different opinion.

I have had the PRO for over 1 yr. now & still enjoy playing it very much.
After I played the KN5000 for 1yr. I was getting tired of it, that's why I bought
a new KB, but other folks have had there KN5000 for 3 or more years & still
love them. & they are a very good KB.

Have a great day !!!!!!!!!!!

So as I most often say.
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

#209988 - 04/11/02 09:53 AM Re: 9000 Pro/Tyros musings
dlstarry Offline

Nobby
Maybe the coffee maker should be in the middle, & a cup
holder on each side, that should work for
right & left Hander's.
Just trying to make it easier for the manufacture's.
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online