SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#210535 - 06/22/03 10:42 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Gary

If you want to travel even lighter see the QL-610 by quik lok. Under 10 pounds. It weighs less than their QLX-21 which is wobbly. Heavy duty also, and no real bounce unless the Rockettes are dancing on your keyboard.

If you remember I tried the Monolith too. Actually I could make it bounce. But mainly 23 pounds for a stand is way too heavey. Not to mention the "claw grip" on your hands if you carry it even a very short distance. Stiff hands is not what I want before I perform. (I had to literally take one hand and push my fingers straight out of the claw grip that it produced)That's one thing now, but I'm telling you the older you get that kind of trauma to your body adds up, its like cumulative. Not for me.

BTW, cool set-up. I think this should be every sane keyboardists goal, great sounding equipment, that is as light as you can get.

Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 06-22-2003).]

#210536 - 06/22/03 11:19 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
If you want to travel even lighter see the QL-610 by quik lok.

Hi ScottL: I'm thinking of replacing my QL-606 stand (which I use only for the small quick in-out gigs) with the double braced (yet still relatively lightweight) QL-610. Does the QuikLok model: QLX-4 Mic boom work on the QL-610?
http://www.quiklok.com/200x200/sku_QLX_4.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:

If you remember I tried the Monolith too. Actually I could make it bounce.

Huh, and I thought only 'balls' bounce.

Are you sure the stand wasn't just positioned on an unstable floor? My Monolith stand definitely doesn't cause my keyboard to bounce whatsoever. I still feel it's the stabilest portable 'foldable flat' kb stand I've used. ScottL, I've not sure where (on the stand) you attempted to carry it from to cause your claw injuries, but I carry mine on the smooth rounded tube section and it doesn't hurt my hands at all. Granted, 23 lbs isn't the lightest stand, and I only use it for the larger events, but it does offer (for me) both stylish design and sturdy on stage keyboard support. - Scott

#210537 - 06/23/03 12:01 AM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi ScottY

Yes the QLX-4 mic boom fits. Also available it the QLX-5 music stand and some other gizmo's I don't think you'll need.

Definitely try this QL-610. I'll bet you start forgetting to bring your Monolith. Not all X stands are created equal. The 610, unless you are really strong armed should not move.

Actually the Monolith was quite sturdy, I always like to test things to their limit, so, ya, I could make it move a bit. Mostly sideways. The weight really was a concern for me though. My joints have healed pretty well after whatever it is that I did to them, maybe it was carrying around that Peavey KB300, the bulkiest 75 pounds I have ever seen. Sold that bad boy for $300 and the guy loved it.

If you decide to get the 610 I'd love to hear your opinion on it.

Best

Scott Langholff

#210538 - 06/23/03 01:37 AM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi all

just to prove that I know nothing, I picked up from this thread that 'grounding' can get rid of any hum.
Question, how do I know if cabling and/or equipment is grounded or not?
Sorry for the simple question but if you don't ask you never know!

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

my mail is virus-free thanks to Norton Antivirus2002

#210539 - 06/23/03 05:52 AM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Eddie: Essentially, the entire system must have a common, non-voltage connection that is physically attached by means of a piece of wire. To determine this you must have a volt/ohm meter to check the continuity between pieces of gear. Some pieces of equipment have what some folks refer to as a floating ground, which means there is no electrical contact with the chasis or case. Most of this equipment, however, is electrically sheilded to help prevent interference. while all this may sound complex, it really isn't. The other thing I highly recommend is a good, high-qualityh, grounded, surge protector. My surge protector also has provisions for those plug-in transformers so the transformer does not cover another outlet. If you're playing without a surge protector, it's like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun.

Scott: I'm old, but not so old I can't handle 23 pounds. I catch fish bigger than that all the time. The Quic-Loc I'm using is rock-solid, plus it has a rock-solid second tier that's adjustable, which is where the shelf is mounted. When my new, Quic-Loc stool arrives, I'll be positioning the stand somewhat higher, which makes it look like you're standing, but you are actually sitting on a padded stool with a backrest. My keyboard stand's upper tier adjustments allow me to do that without having to worry about the arm's position in relation to the shelf.

Scottyee: I looked at the Monolith and it's not suitable for my setup. As for connecting arms for booms, the Quic-Loc website pretty much shows on the accessory's description page which accessories will attach to which specific stands.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#210540 - 06/23/03 07:00 AM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
My compliments also on your setup - it obviously took a lot of thought and planning to get your setup this clean. I assume you're open to opinions:

1) This IS the very same QuikLok stand that collapsed on me during a gig about five years ago. The "teeth" slipped and BANG! Two broken keyboards. And I'm a big guy that tends to overtighten rather than undertighten. But I haven't changed any minds yet so it's just to let you know.

2) One thought: I use an APC "Office" Backup UPS on my rig because it has battery power so that if the power goes down and then comes back I don't have to reboot my keyboard. I see you have something similar but I can't tell if it has battery backup.

3) I'm curious: a lot of people here seem to use laptops for lyrics/music? I thought you could do that with the PSR2000's screen, and since it's got XG Scorch you can even display sheet music on it. Has anyone tried using the XG Scorch capability on their keyboard?

#210541 - 06/23/03 10:53 AM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The Keyboard stand cannot collapse the way yours did because of the configuration of the shelf. Essentially, it provides a cross brace that locks everything secure. The only way it could collapse is if 10 welds would simultaneously fail, which I think is not gonna' happen.

As for power back-up, no I'm not using a battery back-up. If the power fails on the job, when it comes back on I only have to push two buttons and I'm back in business in less than three seconds--not a problem. I do, however, protect every item with a high-quality surge protector that has built-in filters and can handle up to 15 amps.

As for the laptop, not only does it provide a great view of lyrics, but additionally, at the top of each lyric page are the keyboard settings for that particular song. Consequently, there's never any guesswork as to which key the song is played, tempo, etc, everything is right there in plain view. Also you can store thousands of midi files, plus play they directly from your keyboard via a usb to midi connection through the keyboard. Though I rarely use midis, there are some songs that I just don't play and I have midi files for them just in case they're requested.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#210542 - 06/23/03 08:08 PM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Dnj (Gary), Thanks for the midi website link. I am playing a VFW job in two weeks and needed the Coast Guard theme. The entire site is great. Agai, thanks

#210543 - 06/24/03 07:58 AM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
Nice setup!

Luis Santos

#210544 - 06/24/03 09:03 AM Re: Gary's New Setup pics..............
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Hi Gary
Nice neat setup
-Was just wondering what program your using on your computer to display your songs. I checked with www.freehandsystems.com and they
advised that they will be coming out with a software package (and I hope with some sort of a switching device-to flip 'pages') for a
'normal' computer. I'm using music ease to print out fake book stuff in an 'easy key'/Chord Pro for lyrics & chords but normally (because of font size), try to 'set up' my songs over two pages. Just wondering how your managing with a 'single page' display. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online