SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#214448 - 11/11/04 06:40 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Interesting thread......

Here's the link to the article:

Click here...

Here's what it says:

-mike

#214449 - 11/11/04 07:57 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Wow, if trying to figure out the proper cable wiring and pin configuration scheme are confusing you, I recommend just using either of the two following microphone cables from Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=33-4012
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=33-4014

I own both of the above cables, and can assure either works well on the Tyros.

On the subject of the Tyros mic 'EFFECTS'. For whatever reason, on my Tyros, running BOTH mic 'effects' & 'VH' concurrently, doesn't appear to be affecting (distorting) the quality of my vocals or harmonies at all.

Whether it's my vocal technique (I'm known for having a very strong 'loud' voice btw) or the mic (Electro-Voice 767) I use, or the above radio shack cable, or combination of the above, this configuration works well, at least for me.

Scott

#214450 - 11/11/04 08:03 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Ok Scott, you got me. Is the only person to call Steve Demmings or is there an official Yamaha department that deals (and listens) to these problems?

Chony, the dept at Yamaha USA responsible for handling these issues is PSR Keyboard Customer Support. Steve Deming just happens to be the HEAD of this dept. You can speak to anyone at Customer Support, but I recommend going directly to the top man. - Scott

#214451 - 11/11/04 10:50 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

That same cable is sitting on my desk. Check it out with an ohm meter and you'll find pin #3 is connected to the tip--not pin #2. Pin #1 is connected to the sleeve.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214452 - 11/11/04 11:49 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Guys,

Please keep in mind that this is not an official Yamaha site and that posting here does not mean Yamaha is jumping into action. I mostly lurk here, because I believe its in the best interest of Yamaha and our customers for me to know what you guys are experiencing and thinking. I try to get here every day, but some days I just can't. If you want me to do something, you'd better call me or email me. For those of you outside the US, contact your local affiliate. So, are Mike and Al and Leo all experiencing the same thing? Does distortion acurately describe the problem? Does turning off the effects on the VH resolve the issue completely? Are there any other factors, that we should be looking at?

The VH unit on the Tyros is the same (as per the spec) as the PSR9000 etc. Obviosly , there are some different parts. Scott's and Don's are working fine, and we have 2 units that we've tested that have no problem as far as I can tell.

I don't address problems with design myself, I have to report them the our design team. It usually takes a while to get problems resolved, but it takes longer if it's not reported.

Before I can report it, I need details. Is this some units that behave differently than most, or some customers whose application is different than most?

Awaiting your reply,

------------------
Yamaha Customer Support
YCASupport@yamaha.com

#214453 - 11/11/04 12:11 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have noticed that if there is much sound at all from the speakers/p.a. reaching the vocal mic, the harmonizer is quick to "reharmonize" these sounds and distort. Also, it is easy to over-e.q. the mic. In this case, even though the mic sounds good, the harmonizer will break up if certain frequencies are too dominant.
Having said all this, I suspect that some units do have problems that mine doesn't exhibit.
DonM

#214454 - 11/11/04 05:01 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
LeoD Offline

Loc: Lusk, Co. Dublin . Rep.of Irel...
Gary,
I can make up a cable tomorrow and try it...but I'm still a little confused.

Q1..Are the connections to St.Jack correct per Yam's Diagram.

Q2..OK pin 3 should be Hot
What pin then for GRd...is it 1 or 2

Guess what if you tell me I bet I can figure the Pin for..Cold ! ! !

Thanks
LeoD

#214455 - 11/11/04 07:14 PM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Leo,

Pin #3 connects to the 1/4-inch plug's tip.

Pin #1 connects to the 1/4-inch plug's sleeve.

Pin #2 connects to pin #1.

Both pins #1 and #2 are grounded. This is the same configuragion in three adapters that I have and use regularly.

If you were using a floating system with an XLR to TSR hook-up, Pin #3 connects to the 1/4-inch plug's tip.

Pin #1 connects to the 1/4-inch plug's sleeve.

Pin #2 connects to the 1/4-inch plug's ring. I only have one of these adapter cables, and I've never used it, but that's how the circuit rings out with the Ohm meter.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214456 - 11/12/04 04:17 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
LeoD Offline

Loc: Lusk, Co. Dublin . Rep.of Irel...
GARY,
I just want to add a little extra confusion. When I fist came across the Yam Wire Diag. I went out and purchased
a BAL-XLR to PHONO cable. First thing I did was check the connections...&..they were / are exactly per Yam's diag...

I have that cable here in front of me, but of course I have never used it, because it doesn't work. I am really getting confused, because I have other Bal cables like this (not for Mic use, but con between Active speaks..& they are all wired per Yam's Diag.

The connection I currently use on T is wired as follows
XLR end.....*1-Gnd, *2-Hot, *3-Cold
Jack end....Gnd-Sleeve + Bridged to Cold which conected to centre ring.
....Hot to Tip

Let me add that this works as NORMAL...
on all my Yam's no buzz/hiss/dist/etc..except..VH on T which may be affected by this wiring...I wont know until I make nacessary changes per your instructions...As far as I'm concerned what you say makes sense, & gefore I ever got into this...I would have expected HOT to connect to Centre-Pin*3 of XLR...as you suggest.

So I'm off now to make up cable starting with Hot to *3 & we'll see what happens.

I wish I was a techi...'cause a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Talk to you again soon

Thanks
LeoD

P.S It's not that my spelling's sp bad..I just keep hittin' wrong Keys..same as on KBD

PS Again..The fact that Yam's Diag shows a Stereo Jack for input must suggest that not onlt 'T' but the other KBDs mentioned are fitted with a Stereo Jack Socket...Now we all know that a mono Jack works ...but surely YAM have a responsibilite..STEVE..to explain this to us all .

[This message has been edited by LeoD (edited 11-12-2004).]

#214457 - 11/12/04 04:57 AM Re: Tryos VH.... Should Yamaha step forward and fix it?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
To Address Steve's request, I think we should put together a use case test that we can all follow to test our Tyros. Then report results back to Steve for him to either ignore/report back to Yamaha.

A use case would go as follows:

1. Plug in a Shure SM58 with XLR --> 1/4 Jack adapter into Microphone Input of the Tyros.
2. Adjust Microphone input gain on back of Tyros to 50% (halfway point).
3. Adjust microphone output volume next to power button to 3/4 volume.
4. In Mixer, adjust Microhpone gain to 90%
5. Adjust EQ settings for Microphone to Mid-Point or FLAT.
6. Turn on Vocal Harmony button.
7. In Mic settings, ensure Effects selected is HALL.
8. Turn on Microphone Effects button.
9. Select "MixAcapQuar" Vocal Harmony setting
10. Place Microphone 1" (2.54cm) from mouth
11. Turn on "Acmp" button
12. Play a Cmaj Chord and Sing into the Microphone.
13. Note any or lack of distortion.
14. proceed back to step 8, but Turn OFF Effects button and repeat steps 10 through 12.
15. Repeat steps 9 through 12 with different
effects types.

Post results on this forum.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online