SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#214927 - 10/28/07 01:09 AM My review of Casio WK-110 and Yamaha NP-30. Some surprises
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Over the last couple of weeks I have demoed the Casio WK-110 and Yamaha NP-30. My impression of both was surprising to me.

The NL-30 looks good, has 76 keys, weighs 12 lbs, has midi and several sounds.

To me, the feel of the keys was not pleasant nor was the piano sound. Actually none of the sounds impressed me in other than a negative way.

I remember seeing a post someplace that through external speakers it sounded as good as any of the other Yamaha keyboards.

However the sound of the PSR-E403 sitting right next to it was much better.

It may be ok as a midi keyboard controller, if you like the keys.

At $299, I think this will be a sleeper for Yamaha, especially when compared to the WK-110 for $100 less.

This was a major surprise for me, as I have never been a fan of Casio. This keyboard is attractive to the eye, weighs 15 lbs, has a pretty good key feel, but most importantly the sounds. The sounds that interest me anyway are quite good. Much better than the NP-30.

The piano, vibes, funk piano, and some others, I didn't try them all, were really outstanding. This thing will sell like mad to all categories of players, IMHO.

The rhythms were very well constructed, although the tonal quality from what I could tell in the little that I checked out that feature didn't sound as good as the PSR's.

For $199 I can see this as a good keyboard for beginner piano students, to take along on a trip, for an arranger keyboardist who wants 76 keys to improve his piano chops and I feel that we will see a number of these pop up in public on piano gigs. Yep, you heard me correctly. I am seriously thinking of getting one myself for when I am playing piano in a 10 piece band where I don't need all the other stuff on my Tyros 2.

One major con on the WK-110 is it only has USB to midi. As I understand it, it will not work as a midi keyboard controller.

Both keyboards just have a headphone jack for output.

I will probably test them both out with my speakers when I have time to see how they sound that way.

Here is a clip I found on YouTube on the Casio. I wish I knew what these people were saying, but I don't speak Spanish. The interesting thing to note here is that it appears to be a TV show and it's set up in a band who is using what appears to be Marshall stacks or something on that order. Normally a very unlikely combination

It is obvious though that at the end of the guy talking about and playing the WK-110, he has both thumbs up.

Don't bypass at least trying the WK-110. I think for what it is, it will surprise you too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwSpJLnkTi4

#214928 - 10/28/07 01:36 AM Re: My review of Casio WK-110 and Yamaha NP-30. Some surprises
Scott Langholff Offline

One other thing, the WK-110 is at Guitar Center's and Radio Shack, among other stores making it very accessible to the public.

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 10-28-2007).]

#214929 - 10/28/07 11:35 AM Re: My review of Casio WK-110 and Yamaha NP-30. Some surprises
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Unlike the PSR S900...

I went down to Guitar Center in P'cola yesterday, Scott, and was disappointed that NO high end (or even what I'd call mid-line, like S900) arrangers were on site at all. Sad...

#214930 - 10/28/07 11:41 AM Re: My review of Casio WK-110 and Yamaha NP-30. Some surprises
Scott Langholff Offline

Yes, Diki, isn't it simply amazing with the population of this area with all the interconnected towns that have grown together into one, and GC thinks nobody here would be interested in a PSR-S500,700, 900 etc?

They are all special order. They will not git one in for you just to try. Although, I think you can return it within 14 or 30 days.

The closest dealer I know of in the Florida panhandle area is in Mobile, AL:
http://www.andysmusiconline.com/

#214931 - 10/28/07 12:53 PM Re: My review of Casio WK-110 and Yamaha NP-30. Some surprises
jwyvern Offline

You can get a manual (.pdf in English) from here.
http://world.casio.com/emi/download/en/manual/

p.49 talks about using the USB for midi control of Computer software on a PC. (only) So if you want to use it as a Controller for another board it looks as though you'd have to midi thro' it back out of the PC to the other KBoard. Not too bad if you're a home user I suppose. More fiddly for travelling players (need to take laptop)?

John

#214932 - 10/28/07 01:15 PM Re: My review of Casio WK-110 and Yamaha NP-30. Some surprises
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:

You can get a manual (.pdf in English) from here.
http://world.casio.com/emi/download/en/manual/

p.49 talks about using the USB for midi control of Computer software on a PC. (only) So if you want to use it as a Controller for another board it looks as though you'd have to midi thro' it back out of the PC to the other KBoard. Not too bad if you're a home user I suppose. More fiddly for travelling players (need to take laptop)?

John

Thanx John!

#214933 - 10/28/07 06:47 PM Re: My review of Casio WK-110 and Yamaha NP-30. Some surprises
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA

#214934 - 10/28/07 07:03 PM Re: My review of Casio WK-110 and Yamaha NP-30. Some surprises
Scott Langholff Offline

Then again, for the NP-30 there is the possiblilty of using it as a midi keyboard controller with, in my case the Tyros 2.

Here are some pics and posts on this subject. One setup even shows a bass pedalboard being used.

I definitely want to try the NP-30 again using my speakers. It's just that the sound coming out of it's built in speakers just sounded, I don't know, I just couldn't connect with what I was playing and what I was hearing is the only way I can think to explain it.
http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=8123.0

#214935 - 10/28/07 07:35 PM Re: My review of Casio WK-110 and Yamaha NP-30. Some surprises
Scott Langholff Offline

I think you may have to register to be able to see the pics in the above forum.

#214936 - 10/29/07 07:09 AM Re: My review of Casio WK-110 and Yamaha NP-30. Some surprises
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Scott,
I have sold many NP-30's at my store. I too agree that the internal speakers don't make the piano sound very good. However, when I plug it into an external system, the piano really comes to life. All of the customers I demo this too are given a chance to hear it both ways. My comment is that the internal speakers, one on each end of the keyboard are fine for practicing, but to really heara the grand piano at it's best, use an external amp.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online