SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#215206 - 10/04/03 08:02 AM Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My head is still spinning from my trip to the theater this week. I've been a fan of the music (Miss Saigon) for many years, but this was the first time I got to see the show. I was blown away by the powerful surroundings of the Vietnam war, the poinient love story of Kim & Chris, and the overall production. The helecopter was way too cool. So realistic - just great.

If I ever get to retire, or at least slow down a bit .... all I want to do is go to plays. High School, Amature, Broadway .... doesn't matter. I just LOVE the theater experience, and I recommend it to any musician as a great way to enjoy our craft from a diffferent angle. It's so soothing to the soul.

I just can't stop thinking of the show, and the CD has been on 24/7 in the car since Tuesday night. Ahhhhhh.

I added one song from the show a few years ago...."The Last night of the world" .... absolutly beautiful. My daughter Katie (doing great now!) remarked that it sounds like a great song for a wedding dance. I agree. I just pray that she makes me wait about 10 more years to hear it/sing it at HER wedding ! Ahgggghhh. 16 is tough, even when things are going well.

On that note - Katie is back to dance(after a year off), and showing all signs that her mindset is in the right place. Her marks are good, her friends are a positive influence, and except for the "boy du jour" who I doubt that I'll ever really get close to....things are pretty smooth at this time. Hopefully she'll go through a few more boy toys before she's done High School and not make me worry so much. This kid is 20, and I think thats horribly too old for a 15 year old, but with here Mom and I in different houses now - some things are out of my control. Next February they'll be 21 & 16 and that's just wrong to me. I am doing everything i can to discourage this without challanging Kate's judgement. This kid(man) has the same restrictions as a 16 year old would(from MY decree). 11 O clock curfew on weekends, no dates on school nights and he is not allowed to drive her except on speacial DAYTIME occasions. Cars and boys are trouble, so I'm limiting both.
Aghhh.... what happened to my happy, sappy theater post ?????????????

(see the show!)

#215207 - 10/04/03 09:59 AM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Wonderful news about your daughter! Make the boy/man be your roadie to get in your good graces. That will prove if it's "true love".
DonM

#215208 - 10/04/03 02:01 PM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
Uncle Dave Offline

I want the boy/man to get discouraged with me treating him like a kid, and stop hanging around with jail bait !
(venting still.....)
whew.

#215209 - 10/04/03 02:54 PM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
UD,

More power to you. Do not let circumstances to discourage you. And keep doing what you have to do and what needs to be done and said.

#215210 - 10/04/03 05:30 PM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
UD,
Very happy to hear things are going good with
your daughter.
Denny

#215211 - 10/05/03 02:04 PM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
Uncle Dave Offline

....."a song, played on a solo saxophone..."
>
>
>
just can't stop singing the tunes from the show. I need a diversion !
(or, maybe not !)

#215212 - 10/06/03 07:30 AM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
UD ..... Glad to hear about Katie doing so well... and why can't boys be the loving, caring,sensitive people we were at that age ... we had all the girls' parents LOVING us, didn't we ... but, stick to your rules, and if he is still around 10 years from now, you'll all be the better for it ....
As for Miss Saigon, we saw it here at the Providence Performing Arts Center a couple of years ago and it was a powerful piece of theater ....
t.

#215213 - 10/06/03 12:17 PM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
Uncle Dave Offline

I just wish I could have seen Lea Salonga do Kim. I LOVE her voice.

#215214 - 10/09/03 06:10 AM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Dave,

I agree. Pat and I saw it at Devos Hall in Grand Rapids. It was so good that Mrs. C was crying at the end. I guess what makes the story so powerful is that the story line could have happened. There ARE orphaned Amerasian children in Vietnam. Most Broadway shows have a far fetched plot that in real life is unlikely to happen. Miss Saigon is real enough that it could have been based on a true story.

Tom

Tom

#215215 - 10/09/03 12:27 PM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
Uncle Dave Offline

I've heard rumors that the play was adapted from "Madame Butterfly" .... I have no idea if it was or wasn't. Anyone know that story?

#215216 - 10/10/03 02:41 AM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I've heard rumors that the play was adapted from "Madame Butterfly" .... I have no idea if it was or wasn't. Anyone know that story?

Yes!
in short: Madame Butterfly (by Giacomo Puccini) it's about an american sailor who goes to Japan and falls in love with a japanese woman; in the end he has to leave and the woman falls in despair (I think that she even commits suicide, by I wouldn't swear about it...)

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 10-10-2003).]

#215217 - 10/10/03 04:47 AM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
Uncle Dave Offline

Well, there you have it ! Same story.

#215218 - 10/10/03 05:28 AM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
Louis-Simon Ouellet Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
UD

i'm glad to see Katie is doing well.
all the best to you and yours:-) this week-end is Canadian Thanksgiving so i'll think of all my friends on SynthZone!!

Simon

[This message has been edited by Louis-Simon Ouellet (edited 10-10-2003).]

#215219 - 10/10/03 08:35 AM Re: Sidebar - Miss Saigon was awesome !
Uncle Dave Offline

Simon,
Happy Thanxgiving !
Here in the USA, we still have to get through Halloween first !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online