SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#216789 - 07/04/07 08:04 AM Re: " The Sampling ( copyed) fighting BAR"
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And, once again, everyone ignores the quantum leap of OK, it MIGHT be OK to sample a FEW Roland sounds (as long as you edit them to be different from the presets), but what is happening here is the EXACT cloning (or as close as they can make it) of the ENTIRE ROM sounds of an instrument...

This isn't the minor pilfering of a few sounds, this is the outright theft of the ENTIRE keyboard's soundset.

And the motive for this? Profit...

Dom is not offering to pay Yamaha or Roland a licensing fee for the use of those sounds, as any business operator is obliged. He wants free and unfettered access to ALL of Yamaha's work and intellectual property because he is unable to compete on a level playing field. His own, self-developed sounds and styles have proven hugely inadequate in the marketplace, and to avoid costly R&D, he proposes stealing the work of his legitimate competitor.

I am utterly amazed not one of you gets this...

This isn't Robin Hood, this is one corporation stealing from another.

#216790 - 07/04/07 08:40 AM Re: " The Sampling ( copyed) fighting BAR"
to the genesys Offline

Just a few other points we may be overlooking.

What Dom is doing is not any thing new conceptually. It has being going on in the industry for at least the past 40 years.

Also, remember Dom is not taking out all the sounds from the mediastation and replacing them with just the T2 sounds it is only an optional addition to what is already on the mediastation.

#216791 - 07/04/07 08:55 AM Re: " The Sampling ( copyed) fighting BAR"
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Just a few other points we may be overlooking.

What Dom is doing is not any thing new conceptually. It has being going on in the industry for at least the past 40 years.

Also, remember Dom is not taking out all the sounds from the mediastation and replacing them with just the T2 sounds it is only an optional addition to what is already on the mediastation.

Yes, totally right!
We will only ADD more new sounds inside the Gigalibrary folder. Now we have about 22.000 Mb of giga sounds.

Just for make DIKI happy, in the next day continue looking our webpage, because there you will find another new GIGA T2, Volume 2, with another 230 sounds, for a total of 391 T2 sounds.
We dont need to sample the all remain sounds because are not interesting, to much old.

Then slow slow we start to make ( always one part) the all new library of the others keyboards, just for expanding the field...

Maybe the MS is not complete for the styles set, but seem now more interesting like a Sampling keyboards...

Maybe under this view you will be not so jerks and leave us working more in quite.

Enjoy what you play.

#216792 - 07/04/07 10:07 AM Re: " The Sampling ( copyed) fighting BAR"
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
We dont need to sample the all remain sounds because are not interesting, to much old.

Then slow slow we start to make ( always one part) the all new library of the others keyboards, just for expanding the field...

Maybe the MS is not complete for the styles set, but seem now more interesting like a Sampling keyboards...

Maybe under this view you will be not so jerks and leave us working more in quite.

Enjoy what you play.

sorry, maybe it's just me, but i feel quite alot of arrogance and almost impudence in your aproach.
nothing personal, but... poor attitude.
i'll leave you now with your... work.

#216793 - 07/04/07 11:41 AM Re: " The Sampling ( copyed) fighting BAR"
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Wow, what a discussion in such short time. I think we had this discussion years ago already on this BBS

In my opinion music copyright and software copyright are mixed here.

Due to the discussion we had years ago I asked that time our dutch organisation (BUMA/STEMRA)their opinion. Don't forget they work worldwide with the other countries organisations and usually have more or less the same laws and regulations.

Their answer that time was basicly very clear.

Music copyright:
A combination of tones which are unique for a song and recognizable as that particular song exceeding 16 measures or 16 seconds.
If shorter but still very recognizable as f.i. a unique tune in an commercial it also is copyright.
So sampled loops can fall in this category!
Sampled sounds of instruments do not fall in this category.
You are not copying a tune but you are copying software.
Same with styles. There's no music copyright on standard styles. There can only be music copyright on a style if it contains a recognizable tune from a particular song.
Now why do you think styles are usually not longer as 16 measures?
Styles are protected by software laws if the raw data is exactly the same.
Same applies to samples.
This is also the reason the styleconverter software can exist.

That basicly answers most, but!
In my opinion you are not allowed to use or advertise with the name of another brand like yamaha,roland without their permission and even more call your changed sample or other changed raw data this is a T2 sample or this is a Roland sample.
In my opinion this is the same as copying a levi jean and put the brand name levi on it, while it is not a levi jean!

My 0,0002 cents
Fred

#216794 - 07/04/07 01:01 PM Re: " The Sampling ( copyed) fighting BAR"
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hey nick
....i guess when you put the line out by itself like that, it is kinda funny , but i was just trying to simplify what i was trying to say...i think that on the issue of this thread, we are pretty much on the same page though..
cheers
dennis

#216795 - 07/04/07 01:03 PM Re: " The Sampling ( copyed) fighting BAR"
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

I am utterly amazed not one of you gets this...

hey diki, i do...and nick does, and there a few others as well!!
dennis

#216796 - 07/04/07 07:43 PM Re: " The Sampling ( copyed) fighting BAR"
Diki Offline

Sorry, yes, I should acknowledge those of you that DO have a sense of ethics, honesty and decency.

To the rest of you, I wish all you the greatest success in the world. I hope that each and every one of you has a chart hit, or writes a tune that is covered by a very popular band. For those of you more technically minded, I hope you write one of the most popular software music programs ever, or invent the most stable keyboard stand ever, or a PA system that fits in a small suitcase.

Then I hope someone steals it, copies it and distributes it for free...

Then FINALLY, you might 'get it'....

#216797 - 07/04/07 08:03 PM Re: " The Sampling ( copyed) fighting BAR"
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sorry, yes, I should acknowledge those of you that DO have a sense of ethics, honesty and decency.

To the rest of you, I wish all you the greatest success in the world. I hope that each and every one of you has a chart hit, or writes a tune that is covered by a very popular band. For those of you more technically minded, I hope you write one of the most popular software music programs ever, or invent the most stable keyboard stand ever, or a PA system that fits in a small suitcase.

Then I hope someone steals it, copies it and distributes it for free...

Then FINALLY, you might 'get it'....

Well, finally some one sees the point I am making. I think we are on the same page at last.

Now that we have agreed that we don’t like one person taking another person’s work or part of a work and including it in the copier’s work.

I guess we will all stop playing our arrangers and return them because they have styles that include recognizable parts of some one else’s copyrighted work. And because they have the music finder feature that set-ups the keyboard with sounds, styles and name the files that sound like some one else’s copyrighted work.

So being the “moral and ethical” people we are, I guess we will be rushing to return all our arrangers, workstations and softsynths because we would not participate in an activity that has been going on in the music instrument industry for over 40 years.

#216798 - 07/04/07 08:31 PM Re: " The Sampling ( copyed) fighting BAR"
Diki Offline

I love it! Talk about 'Anarchy in the UK'...!

So basically, you are saying there are NO possessions, NO-ONE owns ANYTHING, NO-ONE should be able to profit from their own labors, EVERYTHING should be for free...?

I'm sorry, which utopian communist country are you from?

I bet you have ALL of Marx's and Engel's books (but didn't pay for them!)

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online