SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#219282 - 07/03/06 10:51 AM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Squeak , I'm with Tony and others on this topic..You are right to worry about your daughter, and I my grand kids..Condoning tasteless lyrics will not do...Telling kids what not to listen to..will not do...

Our examples will..These kids will pattern after our lifestyles and what we feel strong against[and why]..

I lived my life this way..and fortunately my kids grew up knowing how strongly I am apposed too certain things..especially drug use..
In the after math none of my 4 kids have been into the drug scene[and the crimes it includes]...Now they have followed suit with their kids[fingers crossed, but I will bet they survive this drug infested state we are in...]..
Taming down the language and sexual explicit lyrics will help them grow into respected moral people...We should all be concerned..

I'm not condemning today's music, but the lyrics they need to use to sell this junk...as DNJ says forgettaboutit..

#219283 - 07/03/06 11:32 AM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I understand everyone's concerns, but being realistic about this topic...., it's not going to change.

Society changes throughout the years--some for the good, some for the bad. We all know that. The way I was raised is different from the way children are raised today. We have babies having babies more each day.

The entertainment industry is nothing like what it used to be. They'll do "anything" now for ratings to boost their profits. Hell musicians are encourged to get "arrested" at times because once they're released on whatever petty charge it was... their ratings top the charts. Sad huh?

Do I think the lyrics on this particular song are vulgar? Absolutely, but it falls into the hands of the parents to control (within their limitations) what their kids hear and see.

Once our babies are out with their friends we can only hope they use good judgement based on what we have taught them. We all raise our children differently as well. Again we live in a different world now. Both Mom and Dad want a career, and a family. You can't have both without letting things slip on the other.

Because Mom and Dad both want careers, our kids are left to be rasied by daycares, babysitters, and sadly television and video games. Kids don't go out and ride bikes and play games like they used to. Years ago there were no video games, the internet, and such vulgar tv and radio programs. Kids then played outside until the street lights came on--then it was home or your got a lickin

Look at what I do... I am an "At Home Dad-a homemaker"! How different is that compared to the norm? I was raised that at least one parent stays home and takes care of the family--and it doesn't matter who works, as long as the bills get paid.

Being in my position I'm able to monitor and take interest and what my child sees and hears. I wish other parents were that way, but again it's a changing world. Mom and Dad both want that job, again you can't have both without the other suffering, because parenting is also a full time job

What can you do ya know?
Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-03-2006).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#219284 - 07/03/06 12:40 PM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
What can you do ya know?
Squeak

Just do our best and PRAY !!!
t.

#219285 - 07/03/06 12:53 PM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You know, I appreciate the well-articulated comments from Tony, Squeak, Fran and others. And don't forget the humor (the reference to our parents and Elvis).

It says something about this group and some well thought out concerns for future generations, our family members and the human condition in general.

Good job, all!

Russ

#219286 - 07/03/06 01:04 PM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
drdalet Offline

Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
I like urban styles, but I don't like this song - in fact I didn't like Rich Girl too. I did like "blow your mind" though (together with Eva). It had a great drive.
As for the lyrics of hollaback girl - well it is supposed to be streetlanguage isn't it? It comes with the territory.
In urban music for me the syncopation of the raps are more important than the meaning of the lyrics. Half the time I can't follow the lyrics anyway.

I find it very annoying and disturbing though that they bleep out words or rather omit them altogether in radio edits.
(If you would do that with an Eddie Murphy movie it would be a silent movie!! )

As for the music of today: I believe new styles of music need a playground and experimenting and some of the songs are good enough to last, most are not. I don't believe Hollaback girl will be an evergreen. Many people are buying it now, but it is not very interesting and I doubt other artists will copy this tune. It won't last.

In Urban styles of music the whole production is important. You can not take California Love (Dr. Dre) to stage without the tubes (also known as poor man's vocoders) and the whole range of special effects. This goes for most hiphop music in my opinion. There are lyrics because it's a rap, but there's no melody. Chords are not interesting and most of the time there is only one chord. Nevertheless a production can be very well done, with interesting samples, rhythm and lots of syncopation.

Of course with these ingredients you can also make very interesting music.
My latest CD is one of Victor Wooten, a bass-player. It's amazing music, very well done, with great chords, incredible rhythm changes (like Indian music) often with a funky drive. Yet, it will hardly sell.

[This message has been edited by drdalet (edited 07-03-2006).]

#219287 - 07/03/06 02:14 PM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
My bad. I had not even listened to this song before I posted. I was just going by the lyric. Which, as a songwriter, looks like crap to me.

Now, I heard the song. Yep, that has a sensational beat. That song is all about the beat. And... being teens to 20-something.

I actually do not object to a curse word here and there in a lyric. In my generation, Pusher Man by Steppenwolf was ultra-cool. The thing that bugged me about her lyric was the curse word was not used for any dramatic effect. I don't actually know what sh*t means in this context.

Words are only words. If I lived in another country, a slang word meaning feces or the sex act or whatever might have totally different acceptance. Just because of the society I was raised in. So, words are not as big a deal to me as they are others.

But as a songwriter, you labor over lyrics to try to write something as good as you can write it. And even if I write something risque, I try to make it structurally sound and clever. Even with that, I am sure some things I have written (and enjoy) would raise a few eyebrows on this forum.

I could not make out the structure to this as I read it. And it seemed really stupid. But as for a pop song, stupid works. She (or whomever wrote it) succeeded.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#219288 - 07/03/06 02:23 PM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Posted by SemiLiveMusic:

--------------------------------------------
My bad. I had not even listened to this song before I posted. I was just going by the lyric. Which, as a songwriter, looks like crap to me.
Now, I heard the song. Yep, that has a sensational beat. That song is all about the beat. And... being teens to 20-something.
---------------------------------------------

Bingo! That song as with many other pop songs are also about the "beat"--occasionally the lyrics leave more than enough room for improvement

Funny thing is this "I LOVE RAP AND HIP HOP"! What's funny is I often find that I could care less about lyrics with so many of the songs. It's just the beat that gets me going. If there as an instrumental version of a Hip Hop/Rap album, I'll buy it.

To me nothing beats a downright "funky" beat. That's why Dr. Dre's 2001 Album was SOOOO popular. Whew! the beats in those song were just down right dirty. I have both the full album and instrumental album of this one. The instrumental one is great because there is NOOOOO vulgar language yet for some reason I can't keep my butt still when listening to it. Just funky baby!

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#219289 - 07/03/06 05:39 PM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Believe it or not, even at 65 I can appreciate a good beat ... I even find some hip-hop stuff interesting ...
But I still will continue to have a problem with lyrics like this ...

QUOTE:
Words are only words. If I lived in another country, a slang word meaning feces or the sex act or whatever might have totally different acceptance. Just because of the society I was raised in. So, words are not as big a deal to me as they are others.

Resp:
This is true ... in some countries (Ireland for one) f***er is a very commonly used word ... but it is not generally accepted here ... and that's part of the point - we are HERE ! ...

QUOTE:
I find it very annoying and disturbing though that they bleep out words or rather omit them altogether in radio edits.
(If you would do that with an Eddie Murphy movie it would be a silent movie!! )

RESP:
One difference is that someone is SUPPOSED to be monitoring who enters an 'R' rated movie ... there is no monitoring who is listening to the radio ...

QUOTE:
Funny thing is this "I LOVE RAP AND HIP HOP"! What's funny is I often find that I could care less about lyrics with so many of the songs. It's just the beat that gets me going. If there as an instrumental version of a Hip Hop/Rap album, I'll buy it.

RESP:
That may be true of you and some others, but these kids know EVERY WORD ...

QOUTE:
You know, I appreciate the well-articulated comments from Tony, Squeak, Fran and others. And don't forget the humor (the reference to our parents and Elvis).
It says something about this group and some well thought out concerns for future generations, our family members and the human condition in general.

RESP:
Very true ... a good discussion with differing opinions, but no "I'm right and you're wrong"

Good stuff guys ...
t.

#219290 - 07/03/06 05:51 PM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Squeak, is Dr. Dre's 2001 album, the instrumental version, available? What is it called?

"Word Up" by Cameo... this song is not exactly the same type of song as Gwen Stefani's but it's similar. It's pop and it has a sensational beat. I have always said that "Word Up" is one of the best dance songs ever written / recorded. I love that song! I've never even seen the lyric.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#219291 - 07/03/06 06:28 PM Re: Hit song by Gwen Stefani
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
posted 07-03-2006 10:51 AM Fran Carango

Condoning tasteless lyrics will not do...Telling kids what not to listen to..will not do...

Our examples Will..These kids will pattern after our lifestyles and what we feel strong against[and why]..

Fran, I am with you all the way on this one. You are so right.

John C.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online