SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#226125 - 02/05/08 02:12 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Dnj Offline

Ken good point.....maybe thats some kind of tinting shield? & possibly could cause the terrible display viewing difficulties....but I think its more design angle.

#226126 - 02/06/08 03:30 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Just like plasma and LED TV's, different displays perform better or worse than average when viewed at an angle...

Careful adjustment of the contrast setting can help a little, but other than adjusting the angle of the screen (hopefully without forcing your keyboard into an unnatural angle) there really isn't much you can do. I have never found the G70 to be unreadable at a playing angle, but I DO have to lean in about six inches or so to get the BEST angle. Hopefully, they can get this resolved without raising the hight of the display (it would make finding a case harder), but merely by lowering the front edge a little...

#226127 - 02/06/08 04:08 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Dnj Offline

Diki....
its only a matter of about
2 to 2 1/2" raised to get the desired angle....looks like the riubber doorstop is gonna be my salvation on this issue

I have to give the Pa2x, Tyros & Technics units a thumbs up in this area with their Tiltable screens

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-06-2008).]

#226128 - 02/06/08 04:58 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ken,

The plastic cover is nothing more than a plastic film that is put in place to prevent scratching the screen surface while shipping--nothing more. The same plastic film is also placed on laptop computer screens and other LCD displays for the same purpose. Once removed, it really doesn't improve on the visibility angle--this remains the same.

LCD displays, even the best sunlight viewable displays, are angle sensitive. The same problem exists on laptop computers. This is the nature of the beast. Obviously, the person who designed the screen failed to consider the position of the person using the device, sitting, standing, tall, short. The display on the PSR-2000, 3000 and most previously designed keyboards is viewable while sitting or standing, however, the best view is usually when the screen is facing directly at the performer. The PSR-3000's display is tilted toward the performer at approximately 20 degrees, which provides a reasonable view while sitting. The S900's screen tilt appears to be about 10 degrees, which seems to account for the viewing problem. The only solution is to either stand while performing, which at my age is out of the question, or tilt the keyboard at a suitable angle for optimum view while sitting. The rubber door stops, however, are not the answer. They would not support the board properly, and most are less than 2-inches high. With luck, I'll begin on the addapter strips tomorrow.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#226129 - 02/06/08 05:00 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Of all of those, only PA2X is a touch screen... there are issues there (you'll probably use more force jabbing at a more vertical screen than a flatter one), along with what I suspect MIGHT be durability issues with a motorized mechanism that is going to take a fair pounding over the years. I will feel a lot more comfortable with Korg's new screen after it has shown it's legs for a year or two...

But I think the problem disappears if only the manufacturers recess the lower edge of these screens just a LITTLE bit more (less that 1/2" would make quite a difference) and raising the back edge less that 1/2" too. I just feel for long term reliability and protection, a fixed screen is probably the more durable solution.

#226130 - 02/06/08 05:08 PM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Ken,

The plastic cover is nothing more than a plastic film that is put in place to prevent scratching the screen surface while shipping--nothing more. The same plastic film is also placed on laptop computer screens and other LCD displays for the same purpose.

Gary....this is not the plastic film that comes with the Kb new that you can peel off & REMOVE....Its a hard plastic piece that is about 1" above the original display ...this could be causing the problem also.

#226131 - 02/07/08 12:26 AM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
The Ikarus (Released in 2003) has an 8.4” adjustable touch screen, and the Xenios (Released in 2005) has a motorised 10” touch screen, and there have not been any durability problems, so the Korg one should be fine.

BTW OT have you had a look at this tread yet. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/016814.html

Bill

#226132 - 02/07/08 06:35 AM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Dnj Offline

I never had any problems with the Tilt-up Tyros 2 display either.....at least you could read it in most situations on stage...not a problem.

#226133 - 02/07/08 06:45 AM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny,

The hard part is merely a protective, plastic cover to prevent the soft segment of the screen from being damaged. I don't think it is polorized, but you can determine this by merely taking a pair or polarized sun glasses and holding them over the screen, then rotate the glasses. If the image remains the same, the plastic cover is not polarized. If it turns black, the plastic cover is polarized. I only had one keyboard that had a polarized cover, and it has been gone for so many years I cannot remember the brand name.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#226134 - 02/07/08 06:49 AM Re: Yamaha S900 Bad DISPLAY design Argggggg!
Dnj Offline

Gary thanx ....btw...awaiting your newly designed lift mechanism soon

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online