SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#226888 - 02/12/08 07:58 PM Re: "Please Help Me I'm Falling.".....................
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm still trying to find the a right-angle adaptor that will fit in the space without rubbing against the case. Once I find it, the rest of the job is a piece of cake.

I was going to buy the parts for the keyboard lifting bars today, but the weather turned nasty, freezing rain, snow, etc.., had to cancel tonight's job and couldn't get to the shop that has the channel aluminum I need. Maybe tomorrow if the weather warms up enough to melt the ice.

Gary

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#226889 - 02/12/08 08:06 PM Re: "Please Help Me I'm Falling.".....................
Dnj Offline

Gary sounds good cant wait to see the final creation.....always appreciated.

#226890 - 02/12/08 11:39 PM Re: "Please Help Me I'm Falling.".....................
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I keep telling you Donny, wait a bit longer... Why buy the old G70 when you can buy the ne....oops should not go too far with that...but suffice it to say a little patience may be rewarded, in a big way.

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 02-12-2008).]

#226891 - 02/13/08 07:00 AM Re: "Please Help Me I'm Falling.".....................
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
I keep telling you Donny, wait a bit longer... Why buy the old G70 when you can buy the ne....oops should not go too far with that...but suffice it to say a little patience may be rewarded, in a big way.

Miden good advice for sure....& being I tried most of the offerings in the past I might just have to relinquish my anxiety to being a bit more patient & wait probably till the new year for my next Arranger & with some luck something I will keep for a while. Dont get me wrong I enjoy the S900/T2/3k sounds & styles, but for me its more of some needed features & navigational issues which Yamaha hopefully will implement in future models down the road so you dont have to play in "WORKAROUND" mode all the time. Assignable Sliders, MFD that Saves Transpose & All parameters, Separate & Simultaneous Play Style & SMF abilities,Quality Voc/Harmonizer, Better keybed & feel, Choice of 61 or 76 Key models, Larger Tilt screen on all models, Duel XLR Mic inputs, Larger User Flash Ram, Dual Front USB ports, & also have some user availability to purchase extra plug-ins boards to accommodate THEIR NEEDS & make the KB their own & give people a choice as to some things they want or never use.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-13-2008).]

#226892 - 02/13/08 11:13 AM Re: "Please Help Me I'm Falling.".....................
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Assignable Sliders, MFD that Saves Transpose & All parameters, Separate & Simultaneous Play Style & SMF abilities,Quality Voc/Harmonizer, Better keybed & feel, Choice of 61 or 76 Key models, Larger Tilt screen on all models, Duel XLR Mic inputs, Larger User Flash Ram, Dual Front USB ports, & also have some user availability to purchase extra plug-ins boards to accommodate THEIR NEEDS & make the KB their own & give people a choice as to some things they want or never use.

So let's see which of those the G70 has...

Sliders... no (hardwired to separate functions)
MFD... no (some parameters can't be remembered)
Style and SMF sync... no
Harmonizer... yes (finally!)
Keybed... yes (of course, the best! Remember your professed lack of need for it during your 3k days? ))
Choice of 61 or 76... no (the E80 is quite different in it's soundset, and a LOT more expensive)
Tilt screen... no (same angle problem as S900, just not as bad)
Dual XLRs... no
Large Flash RAM... no (50MB won't go far for your extensive song-list, it shares it with the ROM styles and UPGs)
Dual front USB ports... no (one backside USB slave port, no Master at all)
Plug-in boards... yes (but only one SRX slot, now defunct technology)

Sounds like your perfect arranger.

Look, Donny, we all know you can play. What none of us get, I guess, is what are you just so unhappy about? You've now gone through every single arranger there is (except PA2X, that'll be next!), and now you are going through them a second time... Firstly, what made you dislike them after you had auditioned them and then decided to buy them? Surely you could have figured that out in the store (like synced SMF/arranger play). And now, even more puzzling, what makes you go BACK to an arranger you bought, dismissed (quite vocally!), and sold..?

What makes you SO satisfied with your playing (which I hope even YOU will admit COULD be made better if you put the attention to it you put to the hardware), but so dissatisfied with your equipment? If the arranger is SO unimportant to your show, why bother in the first place? What does it matter, if changing them out so often has NO impact on your show? Do you really have nothing better to do?

I guess it boils down to the fact that, I think MOST of us here think that the player IS 90% of the show, so why waste so much time on something that, firstly, only impacts 10% of the overall sound (or even less if you use MP3's of older gear), and apparently, according to you, makes 0% of a difference to your 'entertaining' skills. If that is the case (no reason to believe differently) you are spending a lot of money and time on something that makes no difference!

To be honest, I'm not sure that is sane, in the first place ( ), and secondly, anything that I want to hear about. Yes, of course we all want to hear about new gear, how it works, what it is good and bad at. But sadly, your posts do nothing but gush over your latest toy, until the day you say you are going to sell it, and even then it's hard to get a cogent explanation of WHY you changed other than 'something new is out!'. Now, to me, that's of little use. And, I'm fairly sure, not many of the rest of us get much out of it either, except to cheer along while you temporarily use what WE are using!

With all you vast knowledge of how to entertain, how to get an audience to participate, how to keep yourself permanently booked, which hat to wear for which song, etc., I guess some of us would like to hear something more important from you on this forum that what arranger you just bought. ESPECIALLY as you yourself admit it has NO importance whatsoever..!

Why not post something that matters?

#226893 - 02/13/08 11:50 AM Re: "Please Help Me I'm Falling.".....................
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny,

After looking at the drawings, and talking with a local guy that uses an S-900 daily, there doesn't seem to be a way to install a right-angle plug in the USB slot and leave it there permanently. There are some options, but this isn't among them. The USB slot it positioned in an area where it would be vulnerable to damage when the keyboard is placed in the case and transported. The only viable option is to mount a small hub in a protected area, then route a cable to the USB connection that has a right angle connector. Then the Thumb Drives can remain in the hub, however, the cable would have to be unplugged before transporting.

The only other option involves installing a USB powered hard drive within the case, which would void the warranty.

One of the many areas where Yamaha dropped the ball with the design of their latest series of keyboards was to eliminate the Smart Media Card. It could have easily been replaced with either an optional 2.5-inch hard drive, or one of the other high-capacity storage devices that could be installed and remain in place.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance with this problem.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#226894 - 02/13/08 02:30 PM Re: "Please Help Me I'm Falling.".....................
Dnj Offline

Gary as always ....
I appreciate your concise investigations into improving the S900 & beyond...."workarounds" are how I roll with most of today's arrangers....
It's imperative & the only way to make it all come together when performing, but what else is new?. As I said before I'm on a holding pattern for now...I'm done with the old & waiting for the new.....my fingers are crossed.

#226895 - 02/13/08 04:23 PM Re: "Please Help Me I'm Falling.".....................
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
doesn't seem to be a way to install a right-angle plug in the USB slot and leave it there

Don't they make a USB extention cable? I've seen tham at school, but I think they came with our Power macs. I'm sure a tiny usb cable could stuff behind the center post on that Apex stand. I've had them in the past, but I had to move away from them because of the 2 awkward "knockover" points that it has. The shape just doesn't do it for me, but Donny hardly leaves the kb alone at his 1 hr shows, and his clients are so poilte ( AKA "old" ) at his Thursday night dance, that no one messes with his gear if he's on break! I always woried about some drunk falling into my gear and knocking the darn thing over.

#226896 - 02/13/08 04:44 PM Re: "Please Help Me I'm Falling.".....................
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The key to using an Apex stand...is to use a keyboard that weighs enough to stabilize..

#226897 - 02/13/08 04:54 PM Re: "Please Help Me I'm Falling.".....................
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
"Please Help Me I'm Falling.".....................

-------------------------------------------

When I first saw the (above) title of your post, I eagerly clicked on it.........until I realized there was no cliff involved.

chas

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online