[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 02-15-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226962 - 02/15/08 04:20 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
]Hi Donpatt,
have you considered midiing a soundmodule up to your PA2X for additional melody sounds?? Unless of course you're after additional styles as well, in which case disregard my comment.

I've had the sd2 soundmodule & my sd1 midied to my PA800. I did a bit of a write up http://www.createsongstyles.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=56
best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by donpatt:
[B][/b]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 02-15-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226963 - 02/15/08 07:08 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Hi Don
As you recall, the SD1 had a neat feature 'To end' that Ketron 'dropped' on the SD5. This 'short ending' has, for some songs, been quite helpful for me. Do you find this a problem with the SD5-or is it ok because the first 'end' on the SD5 is shorter than the first 'end' on the SD1?

I guess it follows that if you load in SD1 styles into the SD5 you simply have intro/end
1,2,3 -and thats its-'to end' is simply not available-right?

Thanks!

#226964 - 02/15/08 07:32 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
For the most part, the Ending 1 on the SD5 is very similar to the "To End" ending on the SD1.

#226965 - 02/15/08 09:04 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Thanks Glen!

#226966 - 02/16/08 06:25 AM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Thanks DonM for info

Thanks for the link Rikki, I have read your setup.

I am amazed at your technical skills, both w/sd2 setup and some of your style creation. I loved the beguine style you did for PA800.

I guess I'm amazed that on a board such as the PA2X, supposedly the "top of the line", that one would have to ad anything. But, I find some of the sounds and some of the styles really bad. Especially the C&W styles and the Guitar sounds.

I guess I'm one of the guys who expects everything to be perrfect right out of the box. WELL, that didn't happen!

So far, I'm fairly disappointed in the PA2X in that regard.

Regards,

#226967 - 02/16/08 02:05 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Donpatt,
thank you for the compliment on the beguine still. Must admit it is one I'm really happy with, but it's really only just a PSR/PA800 hybrid. Guitar & Bass tracks are from a psr . Balance ( except for Intro/Ending 1 ) is all from the korg beguine style, yet they sound different.

I luv my PA800, but I must admit the sounds on my SD1+ are richer. Since my setup is only used at home I have the luxury of midiing the 2 keyboards together & I have the option of using the sd1 sounds for melody parts, whilst using the PA800 to play the style tracks. If it wasn't for the fact that I already own the sd1+ , I may well have considered buying the sd3 arranger module.
The country styles are a bit sparse on the korg. I've heard it mentioned it focuses more on modern styles?? whatever that means.

If I come across any country stuff ( that's useable), I'll let you know.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by donpatt:
I loved the beguine style you did for PA800.

I guess I'm amazed that on a board such as the PA2X, supposedly the "top of the line", that one would have to ad anything. But, I find some of the sounds and some of the styles really bad. Especially the C&W styles and the Guitar sounds.

I guess I'm one of the guys who expects everything to be perrfect right out of the box. WELL, that didn't happen!

So far, I'm fairly disappointed in the PA2X in that regard.

Regards,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226968 - 02/19/08 11:23 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The SD5 has REALLY been through a workout in the past week. Thursday (Valentine's Day), Friday and Saturday the club was jammed packed for nearly six hours, so good ol Don played the six hours each night.
Tonight, Tuesday, an impromptu jam session developed, with SemiLive Music, HankB, Joe Lee Richards, Billy Ledbetter, and several others taking turns on vocals and guitar, along with me on the SD5.
These pros, and the audience alike, were blown away by the realistic sounds of the Ketron.
I suppose the difference is that it is exciting to play. It's like having a live band backing you. There is something different from the SD1. To me it just sounds better.
I received the hard drive and cable today but haven't had a chance to install them yet, so I've been using just styles that were included on the keyboard. I have found very little missing.
If Ketron updates the display, interface and storage options with the introduction of the Audya, It will HAVE to be in a class of its own. But I AM prejudiced!
For now I am really happy. My PSR S900, as good as it is, and with all the wonderful features and sounds it has, is relegated to backup status.
DonM

#226969 - 02/20/08 07:02 AM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Dnj Offline

Don.....great to hear your enjoying the SD5...WOW to put the S900 in the closets says alot ....Not that I'm surprised as an ex Ketron SD1,Midjay,XD9,X1 player I can
attest to the super sounds & styles...hope to hear some songs soon when you get a chance....my only concerns with the Audya is that I hope they aren't releasing it to soon & will work out the bugs....& try to produce some quality professional Demos videos.....& also include instructional DVDs so people can learn the OS which is a bit different then others.

I'm waiting for someone else here on SZ to reveal their New SD5

#226970 - 03/11/08 06:32 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Dnj Offline

Sooooooooooooooooo Don how we doing with the SD5 so far now that you have experienced it a while.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online