SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#232848 - 04/22/08 04:59 PM Re: Great make-it-yourself speakers to replace your Bose system!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Cool... Now zuki could get in another couple of NH gigs a day

#232849 - 04/22/08 05:06 PM Re: Great make-it-yourself speakers to replace your Bose system!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Wow! With that keyboard, and a pair of those speakers...maybe...just maybe... my doc might let me gig.

Ian

#232850 - 04/22/08 06:42 PM Re: Great make-it-yourself speakers to replace your Bose system!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chony,

When I was 12-years old this was one of the projects we had in school. Naturally, we didn't have styrofoam plates at that time because styrofoam had not been invented yet, but the homemade speakers worked just fine with paper plates. We also constructed crystal radios, which picked up signals from all over the world and only had $3 in parts--including the headphones. I'm amazed that those old projects have been around this long, and the only thing that has changed is the material used for the speaker cone. WOW!

Oh, I almost forgot. The sound level was so low that at my age I probably wouldn't be able to hear any sound from the homemade speakers. She said the hearing was the third thing to go.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#232851 - 04/23/08 08:20 AM Re: Great make-it-yourself speakers to replace your Bose system!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fun, funny stuff!

Russ

#232852 - 04/23/08 04:46 PM Re: Great make-it-yourself speakers to replace your Bose system!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Chony,

When I was 12-years old this was one of the projects we had in school. Naturally, we didn't have styrofoam plates at that time because styrofoam had not been invented yet, but the homemade speakers worked just fine with paper plates. We also constructed crystal radios, which picked up signals from all over the world and only had $3 in parts--including the headphones. I'm amazed that those old projects have been around this long, and the only thing that has changed is the material used for the speaker cone. WOW!

Oh, I almost forgot. The sound level was so low that at my age I probably wouldn't be able to hear any sound from the homemade speakers. She said the hearing was the third thing to go.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary, when you were 12...........was the wheel even invented then..

#232853 - 04/23/08 04:51 PM Re: Great make-it-yourself speakers to replace your Bose system!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Gary, when you were 12...........was the wheel even invented then..

I thought Gary invented the wheel?

#232854 - 04/23/08 08:02 PM Re: Great make-it-yourself speakers to replace your Bose system!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I think John Paul Jones and I joined the Navy at the same time. And yes, I invented the wheel, but I didn't get paid for that invention either!

It was interesting reading that post, then went to Google and looked at a bunch of similar posts. Lots of advancements since the days when I was HAM Radio operator and the only form of communication was via Morse Code using a single 6L6 tube transmitter that punched out more than 100-watts. When you keyed the transmitter the plates of the tube got so hot they had a red glow. The antenna was a 151-foot length of wire that went from the atic window to a tree in a neighbor's yard. Every time there was a thunder shower my mother cringed thinking the house would be hit by lightning and burned to the ground. Fortunately, it never happened, but high winds finally took the antenna down. That was in 1952.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online