Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#247882 - 11/12/08 07:00 AM Re: OT - basement heater
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm not sure I would recommend ANY type of heater that put particulates in the air, no matter how few...

Wood burning in a studio? Not a great idea, IMO Just removing the ash is going to dust up your precious gear...

Any heating or cooling device that moves large volumes of air will also circulate particulate matter. That's why air filters were created. As for a wood stove sending dust into the room--none that I've used had this problem--even while cleaning. As the ash is being removed from the stove, there is a constant updraft from the chimney flue that draws the dust up the chimney--even when the stove is cold. And, because the newer stoves, which have catalytic converters installed in the stack is so efficient, much of the ash is incinerated, leaving very little ash to remove from the stove.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247883 - 11/12/08 12:20 PM Re: OT - basement heater
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
ANY dust is too much

If an electric heater puts out zero, why use something that makes more?

Long term reliability (I know many here swap out gear faster than it wears out, but maybe SOMEBODY looks at longevity in mixers, amps, pre's, whatever you have down there ) is directly linkable to dust, ash and smoke (especially tobacco).

For me, there is nothing worse than an intermittent pot or an unreliable switch. You waste valuable time tracking them down and fixing them...

Put it this way... what was the last pro studio you saw with a wood fire in it?

#247884 - 11/12/08 12:35 PM Re: OT - basement heater
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Diki.., seriously woodstoves do not put out the dust you seem to think. As Gary stated these new ones are amazing in how little ash is left behind....

You also don't seem to realize Diki.., that some of these woodstoves have a tray that simply slides out and requires NO shoveling.. Which means NO dust. You simply take the whole tray outside and dump it.

With a potbelly, or even standard wood burning stove you wouldn't have any more dust than would build up from any conventional central air system. Plus you would have ZERO dust from a potbelly stove as it uses radiant heat and not a blower (as found on many larger wood burning stoves). If there's NO blower.., there's no means of blowing any dust around.

I can see how living down in Florida and all would probably confuse you a bit on these heating stoves Again.., I grew up on Lake Erie..., much of my family is still there and woodstove heating is used heavily up there. Many of my own family still use them.., I grew up using them. They don't put out the kind of dust you're speaking of. Hell..., my $4,000 York central heating/cooling system with a good quality air filter moves more dust around my house than a wood stove.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 11-12-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#247885 - 11/12/08 07:30 PM Re: OT - basement heater
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The largest producer of dust is humans. We constantly shed skin particles, which over a period of a few days covers everything in your home with a thin layer of dust.

And, though you may find it difficult to believe, all heating systems circulate dust particles. Even an oil-filled electric radiator circulates dust particles throughout the area via convection. The cooler air close to the floor is drawn toward the radiator's fins, heated, rises toward the ceiling, then moves outward toward the walls. As the air cools it falls back toward the floor, where it is again drawn across the dusty floor, picking up minute particles along the way before being cycled once again. It's a constant process.

The cleanest studio on the world is heated and cooled with something that moves air. If you move air, you ultimately move dust along with that air--this ain't rocket science.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#247886 - 11/13/08 11:15 AM Re: OT - basement heater
mr9000 Offline

If a pot belly stove is the route wanted,take into consideration carrying
wood downstairs!seems a dangerous task.

#247887 - 11/13/08 06:23 PM Re: OT - basement heater
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
..........Actually I've read that many studios and electronic or computer "clean rooms" have passive heating in the floors. They are usually ceramic coated cement or tile floors that have heating elements embedded in them. Many of the new energy efficient "green" homes in Florida have this type of heat too. I imagine they do use conventional fan-forced air conditioning though? -charley

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online